Jeep Wrangler questions...

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mahojim

Jeep Wrangler questions...

Post by mahojim »

I'm thinking about buying my first Jeep Wrangler. Used,Certified, warranty. Probably a 2008-'09 2 door,
Soft top.
Anyone have advice?
Give me a clue!
Thanks again, and always
Smiles-
MJ
JT

Post by JT »

From my perspective, simplified, it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

I had a soft-top two door that I parted with just a few years ago. I'll admit that I bought it to have a taste of STJ in my daily life. There were many pros and cons.

Pros:

--the fun factor
--the four wheel drive was good in the snow
--good clearance

Cons:

--the top was a bitch to put down. You have to take out the rear windows, roll up the rear window and fold the top just right. It was such a bother that I didn't put it down that often.
--I had the zippered front windows because, initially, I thought it was cool that you could take out the entire window assembly and just have that little half door in front...the zippers quickly broke.
--unless you remove the back seat, there is virtually no storage area.
--horrible gas mileage...about 15 to the gallon.
--The ride: on STJ jeeps are cool because you rarely go over 30 miles an hour...and you're not in it very long. In real life, after a couple of hour drive, at highway speed, you feel like you rode a horse to your destination.

The initial fun factor was huge. I loved the thing for about the first year. As time went by, though, I was more than ready to get rid of it. Sorry to be a downer.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Thanks.
Great perspective, glad I asked.
Smiles-
MJ
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 DR and absolutely love it. I have been averaging about 20 MPG city/highway. The extended frame really has improved the ride over the 2 door version. It is not as luxurious as other vehicles but it is a lot more fun!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Gigi wrote:I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 DR and absolutely love it. I have been averaging about 20 MPG city/highway. The extended frame really has improved the ride over the 2 door version. It is not as luxurious as other vehicles but it is a lot more fun!
Hmmm..... :?
Smiles-
MJ
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I remember riding in a 2-door once in college and wondering what on Earth made my friend buy one. then, for her first new car, my then-fiance wanted one. I took her to Dodge to go test drive one. She made it all of a mile before agreeing that a nice 4-d0oor Saturn was the way to go.

As JT said...

To me, they're fun for vacation, but otherwise not the most practical "real-life" car. Plus...you basically can't realistically have kids and drive one. Sure, you could put a rear-facing carrier in one, but would you want to?

If I owned a beach house, I'd be inclined to store one at said house and then tool around Emerald Isle with the top and doors pulled off...but I would not take it home.

And yes Jim...I just did that to you.
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

A Wrangler isn't for everyone. It's a car only a strange breed like to have as an everyday vehicle. That said, I have had my 2 door Wrangler for about 3 years. Until recently, my commute to work was about an hour each way and yes, I drove the Wrangler.

I love every second of it.

It's noisy, it's a rough ride, the gas mileage sucks, and the top is a b**ch to get off, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. It just suits me and I love driving it.

You don't buy a Wrangler because it's practical or because it is a comfortable ride. You buy it because that little voice inside you is screaming "LET'S GO!!!!" every time you get inside.

Well....is it?

That should answer your question. :wink:
jmq

Post by jmq »

Vicki’s a lot tougher than most of us.
Personally, the clunky design and bad ergonomics of most Chrysler products drive me nuts, more so the older I get.
Apparently I need to be able to roll the windows down quickly to yell at the kids to get off my lawn.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Connie

Post by Connie »

Daughter had one. I'd say that it's great as a second car, but if it's your main car, stay away.

They're a rough ride and the top is a pain in the butt to put down, especially if an unpredicted rain storm comes through.
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

VickiH wrote:A Wrangler isn't for everyone. It's a car only a strange breed like to have as an everyday vehicle. That said, I have had my 2 door Wrangler for about 3 years. Until recently, my commute to work was about an hour each way and yes, I drove the Wrangler.

I love every second of it.

It's noisy, it's a rough ride, the gas mileage sucks, and the top is a b**ch to get off, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. It just suits me and I love driving it.

You don't buy a Wrangler because it's practical or because it is a comfortable ride. You buy it because that little voice inside you is screaming "LET'S GO!!!!" every time you get inside.

Well....is it?

That should answer your question. :wink:
DITTO all that....I love my 2-dr jeep wrangler too. I vote for the soft top, because it seems that most owners are inclined to put them down, but with the folding hard-top option, people tend to go with the very large sunroof effect; it's just not the same. Agreed that it is not that easy to put it up and down but not so difficult that it should be a deal breaker. Two and 1/2 years into it and I'm still loving it! Ali~
STJ - I "get it"