Hinds, Paradiso, Asolare

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

Hinds, Paradiso, Asolare

Post by liamsaunt »

Three restaurants I have not seen much about on the forum lately. Has anyone eaten at any of these places recently? I'm thinking of adding at least one of them back into the rotation next month, but was wondering if anyone has any opinions, good or bad.

I am also wondering if the management situation has been straightened out at Asolare?

Finally, I am curious for feedback on Spyglass, especially at lunchtime. I really like that location.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Kevino

Post by Kevino »

I was on island in March & again in April. I went to all 3 that you mentioned and they were as good as usual. Noting that you asked about these three upscale restaurants, you have to try the new Steak house at the Westin, Cruz prime. I was very impressed.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am also interested in any info.

When we visited (looked but didn't eat) Spyglass in March, the menu was very "mainland" in the sense it looked like stuff we could get at home. That didn't appeal to us so we moved on. The location does appeal to me too so I would like to give it a try.

The girl that checked us into our villa that trip talked up Hinds and said lots of locals eat there and that it was her family's favorite.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

We had lunch there in March. I think I did a post on our visit but the food was good. Nothing sensational but tasty. We always go to whatever is currently occupying the space. It is our favorite spot in Cruz Bay and it always reminds us of our first visit to the Island. So we always go if just for a drink at sunset. Let's see: Pussers, Cafe Wahoo, something between, the Balcony and now Spyglass. Does anyone recall what was between Wahoo and Balcony?
gymnastika

Post by gymnastika »

When I was there in March, Paradiso took the lobster ravioli off the menu :(
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

BillVT wrote:Let's see: Pussers, Cafe Wahoo, something between, the Balcony and now Spyglass. Does anyone recall what was between Wahoo and Balcony?
Are you certain there was something in between? I thought it went from Cafe Wahoo to the Balcony. I asked John what was in between and he replied the same way. Unless it was something short lived, maybe?

kevino, thanks, I'll check the menu for prime, but I'll confess that steakhouses usually are not my preference. I don't eat any red meat for one thing, and I have issues with steakhouse portion sizes (WAY too big!).
loria

Post by loria »

we were at Asolare in May, and it was good--not stunning, but very decently prepared--I had Wahoo and my husband had Mahi, both were quite good.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

In between Cafe Wahoo and The Balcony, there was a brief period where this location was called Knotheads.

I forgot this, but Ron remembered for some reason.

- Ruth
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

Thanks Ruth! I knew it was something about knots and all I could think of was Sheepshank.

We where having a drink up there between rain showers during this time and we overhead two people talking about replacing the canvas awning with metal roofing. I thought one good shower like the last one and your staff and patrons will go deaf. Thankfully they never did it.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Paradiso note

Last call for Paradiso
http://barnako.typepad.com/news_of_st_j ... adiso.html
... no longer a stranger to paradise
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I stopped in at Spyglass in March during happy hour and had some tasty fish tacos. Had planned to go back for dinner in May, but we never made it.

The service that afternoon was most excellent - perhaps because I was the first person to show up :)
janet
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

I was at Spyglass in April for happy hour and it was good!! Margaritas's for like 3.00 and chicken wings and tacos' for 2.00.....
I just love the location too.
I just found out I won a GC to Zozo's from wagapalooza.........YEAH!!!

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Just bumping this back up because I was reading in the current Tradewinds that Asolare has a new infused cocktails menu, a bar menu, and a tasting menu now. The dishes and cocktails described sound very appealing to me. We are definitely going to check it out. And of course, I will report back to you all! :D

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/ind ... &Itemid=38
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

15 years visiting STJ and we never visited Asolare.

After reading that article, we are definately going next week. Will report.