Watersports

Travel discussion for St. John
BRY1105

Watersports

Post by BRY1105 »

Where exactly in Cruz Bay is Cruz Bay Watersports? Their website doesn't say. I plan on going parasailing, but knowing where they're located sure would be helpful! :D
Also, how much of a priority is diving? Ive looked into Low Key Watersports' Discover Scuba Diving Program for beginners at $125 ea. Is snorkeling enough for you or is scuba a "must do"?
Bryan
gwaine

Post by gwaine »

Bry,
I've been to CB Watersports but I can't remember exactly where it is...I think it's up near Ronnie's Pizza? When you get there just ask and someone will point you in the right direction...the town is very small. Scuba is definitely NOT a must. That's the beauty of St. John...great snorkeling from the shore. There are only a few spots where diving would get you a better view...most of the good stuff is shallow close to shore (and you can free dive if interested, but good luck staying down long...the water down there makes you pretty buoyant).
gwaine

Post by gwaine »

Here you go Bry:

http://www.virginislandsmap.com/stjohn/ ... index.html

You can get an idea where it is compared to the ferry dock (C3)[/url]
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hi there

You can book parasailing through me if you would like just send me a PM :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I think I heard someone say that Cruz Bay watersports was at the Westin.

Gwaine is correct in that diving is not required. There are many snorkle spots where you will see all sorts of marine life. I was standing in 2 or 3 feet of water at one north shore beaches trying to get my gear on when an angel fish ran into my leg. :o It is everywhere.

After diving all of last week, I don't know if I can strongly agree with the above. We had so much fun diving. I am ready to go again tomorrow. Yes diving is expensive and requires planning and education. To me, the benefits far outweigh the costs. The only way for you to find out what is right for you is to take the Discover course and try it. There were so many people who took it while we were there and were instantly hooked on diving.

In either case, you will have a great time.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

augie

Post by augie »

jimg20 wrote: Gwaine is correct in that diving is not required. There are many snorkle spots where you will see all sorts of marine life.

After diving all of last week, I don't know if I can strongly agree with the above. We had so much fun diving. I am ready to go again tomorrow. Yes diving is expensive and requires planning and education. To me, the benefits far outweigh the costs. The only way for you to find out what is right for you is to take the Discover course and try it. There were so many people who took it while we were there and were instantly hooked on diving.

In either case, you will have a great time.
My take on Jim's take... :wink:

everything he said is spot on, but like so many aspects of life, much depends on an individual's situation.

Where I live I can drive for a couple of hours, and then take a boat ride to some excellent scuba diving. I'd have to drive several more hours to be able to get to decent snorkeling, and almost none of that accessible from shore.

As a result, I've only done minimal diving on STJ visits. I don't have to haul my gear down there, or rent gear that I'm not familiar with. I don't have to make a point to stop drinking the night before a dive so that I can get properly hydrated. And I get to see some pretty amazing sea life and underwater topography by driving/hiking to a beach!

That being said, there are a number of places that I've snorkeled around the island that I think would be very cool to explore in the greater detail that strapping on a tank allows you to do.

One day I'd like to do a bareboat trip carrying scuba gear so that if a place looked interesting enough, I could do just that...
Come see us!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

THe only "must do" on STJ is to enjoy yourself.

That being said, I think that you will find snorkeling to be perfectly adequate esp for a first trip down.

That ALSO being said, if diving is something you've always wanted to try and you're OK with spending a half day of vacay doing this AND you can't think of a better way to spend $125 then give it a shot.

BUt I think that you will find that the sea life is amazing snorkeling from just about any beach on STJ.

A simple trip snorkeling at Salt Pond generally guarantees me an up close and personal experience with turtles, more fish than I can name, squid, octopus, and the occasional nurse shark. And then there's the coral! ANd that's just one of many great beaches.

If you do decide to dive, my hubby prefers Low Key or Chris Sawyer to the other outfits on island (and he's tried most of them).
*Another fine scatterbrained production
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

Thanks for the input guys (and gals). Ive always wanted to go diving, but at $125 a person and if the snorkeling is that good, why bother?

While I've got you here, my fiance (wife by the time we get to STJ) REALLY wants to see a turtle while snorkeling. Where are we most likily to see them? From what I gather, we have a good chance at Saltpond, Waterlemon, and Caneel.
Bryan
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I always see them at Maho
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

What everyone has said is correct in my opinion, so I guess I'll just reinforce what you're already thinking.

I have done the "discover" dives three times (all on Grand Cayman though). I loved it. Not enough to get certified, but I loved the experience nonetheless. Doing the scuba is more for the experience than for seeing something new and different. You can only go down 30-40 ft or so on those dives. So it certainly isn't a "must do" on this trip to STJ, but I recommend that you give it a shot on this trip or some future trip just for fun.

As for the turtles, I saw many at Caneel and Hawksnest Caneel in February. I only snorkeled Waterlemon and Salt Pond once each and didn't see any there, but I think I was just unlucky.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We had great luck with turtles at Maho last week.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

gwaine

Post by gwaine »

Bry -- I've seen them at Waterlemon, Salt Pond, Hawksnest, Cinnamon, and Francis (see pic below). The center of Francis has a bunch of grass on the seabed that the turtles like to eat. My friend and I snorkeled the right side of Francis (good snorkeling) and then made a point of going back through the center of the bay to look for turtles in the grass. You're almost guaranteed to see one during your trip.

BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

Gwaine, nice picture! My fiance will be thrilled to see one. She says she's not going home until she does. :D
Bryan
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

BRY-

Don't jinx the turtles.

I guarantee you the more you hunt for them the more elusive they will be. I know because I have done this on past trips: "MUST see turtle" and saw NONE. :cry:

On others, I have just relaxed and practically bumped into them (literally). This happened last December at Francis. We spent 15 minutes checking each other out with only about three feet between us until they finally got bored with me and swam away. :)

Tell your lady to just chill out and enjoy the underwater scenery and she'll have a better chance of seeing one-- or MORE! :lol:
*Another fine scatterbrained production