Shark at Francis Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
gwaine

Shark at Francis Bay

Post by gwaine »

Hey Everyone...I'm heading back to STJ in a month so I'm dragging out last trip's photos/movies. I was about to get out of the water at Francis Bay when a shark swam right in front of me parallel to the shore line. Not very big (juvenile?). Not a nurse shark...first thought it was a Lemon but the second top fin isn't very tall...any ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40400761@N ... 3962540843
Timethief

Post by Timethief »

I would vote with it being a lemon shark, but my expertise is nil, so it doesn't count for much. It does look alot like some of the pictures on this web site (tough to find pictures of younger lemon sharks for some reason):
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jschultz/lemon_m.html

But definitely a cool video - and a great tale to tell!

Keep Smiling!!! :D
-Peter

I would much rather die while I am living, than live while I am dead!
lark22

Post by lark22 »

This is a weird coincidence -- we filmed a nurse shark at Francis a few years ago with some kind of hook or dart or something in him, like the shark in the video you posted! They're different sharks, of course, but it's weird...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9009570732#
djmom

Post by djmom »

Lark, I am thinking that thing that looks like a tag or dart is a remora?

I could be wrong, though.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I don't are what kind of shark it is, I would have peed from fright right then and there!
polly

Post by polly »

Two small nurse sharks at Maho on Sunday. You just got to keep your eyes open! Lots to see if you are not in a hurry:)
lv2fish

Post by lv2fish »

To Gwaine & Timethief - OMG what a coincidence I saw the same guy (shark) about 2 years ago at the same location right on the shoreline as I was obliviuosly folowing a sting ray then I cam face to face with this shark whereupon I casually made a quiet non-splashy quiet U-turn. Hubby - deathly fearful - NO phoebic of sharks was still in the water as I quietly existed, didn't want to panic him, so I just said "come here now, get out now, I need to show you something" - I did not want to cause a panic amongst the other swimmers either, visions of the JAWS film panic on the beaach scene danced in my mind....I am actually in awe & feel lucky when I see a shark snorkeling (EXCEPT for Mr. Tiger, Hammerheads, and Mr. Bull sharks) I'll have none of them thanks very much! Have been fortunate enough to see nurse sharks in STJ, Abaaco Bahamas, and the Keys. White tip & black tip reef sharks in Galapagos - they were the least bit interested in my presence.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

djmom wrote:Lark, I am thinking that thing that looks like a tag or dart is a remora?
The video is sort of unclear...my husband was closer to the shark than I was, and he says that it was definitely a dart or hook or something (man-made for sure).
jofus

Post by jofus »

tough to tell but it looks like it may be a tracking device, like someone tagged the shark.

jofus
polly

Post by polly »

lark22

Post by lark22 »

mrscherry2000

Post by mrscherry2000 »

It appears you actually followed the shark to film. :shock: I would have been walking on water to get out of there. I wish I wasn't so scared of sharks. Child of the 70s I guess, Jaws had an impact on my psyche.
gwaine

Post by gwaine »

I didn't follow him too far...he wanted nothing to do with me and I was kinda scared too :). Maybe juvenile lemons don't have such a pronounced second top fin. Great info about the tagging program Polly.