Recent Trip to Anguilla

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Really nice. Well done. Those are some tasty looking drinks. No offense to the STJ Beach Bar, but nothing beats a REAL beach bar like those you shared with us.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Your trip reports are always incredible and offer such a great perspective.
Funny part it is I am 'saving' this for when I can really sit down and enjoy. We have done 6 trips to STJ and like the rest, always thinking of other spots. thanks for sharing!
wontongirl

Post by wontongirl »

Vicki I love your report. Thanks for writing it. anquilla is on my short list along with Costa Rica.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

thanks for posting. really nice pictures. How is the diving there, do you know? The scruffy land does not appeal to me but I would go mostly for the ocean anyway.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

Loved the report and those gorgeous photos ! I am excited to go there !
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

Vicki, thanks so much for sharing this with us. Anguilla is definitely on our to-do list too. We were there nearly 20 years ago on a day trip (from St. Maarten) and spent the day on Shoal Bay and Uncle Ernie's was there then. At the time, I thought it was the most beautiful beach that I'd ever been to. Since you mention that there are few villas, I can share that my good friend's sister has a high-end villa in Anguilla. I've not been to it but it is a rental so if anyone's interested, I'll provide the link below. Okay, now back to your report so I can finish it. Ali~

www.alcyonvilla.com/
STJ - I "get it"
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I've never found an island that interested me after I found STJ. You just changed my mind. I agree it's nice to mix things up. Great job!
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

(Cypressgirl, maybe a SOTB trip to Anguilla.) Anyway, I just finished Vicki's trip report and can't wait to have my husband read it....if that doesn't convince him, well then....I guess he stays home because I'm going. Vicki, as to your Margarita drink of rum, margarita mix and cranberry, that's a REAL drink at Foxy's (and has actually become a favorite of mine). Again, thanks for the awesome report. Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

(Cypressgirl, maybe a SOTB trip to Anguilla.) Anyway, I just finished Vicki's trip report and can't wait to have my husband read it....if that doesn't convince him, well then....I guess he stays home because I'm going. Vicki, as to your Margarita drink of rum, margarita mix and cranberry, that's a REAL drink at Foxy's (and has actually become a favorite of mine). Again, thanks for the awesome report. Ali~
STJ - I "get it"
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

That villa looks SWEET! Let't go.
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

My two favorite islands! We went to Moonsplash this year; it was our third trip to Anguilla, which was my absolute favorite island before we visited St. John.

We've stayed at Frangipani (in 1999, so not the current owners or restaurant on site), Allamanda, and Cuisinart. Three very different stays - but we loved each one. And we thought the food at Cuisinart was great, so either we're not really foodies, or they were doing something right.

Moonsplash was a fantastic time.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Vicki, I loved having you love Anquilla! Glad to see you & Matt enjoy a villa with a pool ;)
brenda

Post by brenda »

Thanks Vicki! Awesome report as usual. Love your writing style and beautiful pictures. You do love you some lobster :).
Going "home" again October 26th!
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Disclaimer: While Anguilla is a good alternative to those of us who love St. John, because it shares many of the qualities we love about STJ, you have to do a little more research and planning to make it a great visit, otherwise, you might find yourself disappointed. One main difference I noticed was that St. John is easy in that no matter where you go or what you do, it's gorgeous and awesome. On Anguilla, you have to find the awesome spots. They aren't obvious. You have to know where to look. Also, I think we got super lucky in that we found an amazing villa and got a good deal on it (villas are quite a bit pricier there) and we hit the season just right so that the weather was 100% gorgeous and there was literally no one on the island. If you're interested in Anguilla, I say "go." It's wonderful. But do plenty of planning so that you know where to go once you get there.

Sea-Nile - I'm not sure about the diving. I think there are some good dive spots and great snorkeling spots if you are willing to boat out there.
jdw

Post by jdw »

VickiH wrote:Disclaimer: While Anguilla is a good alternative to those of us who love St. John, because it shares many of the qualities we love about STJ, you have to do a little more research and planning to make it a great visit, otherwise, you might find yourself disappointed. One main difference I noticed was that St. John is easy in that no matter where you go or what you do, it's gorgeous and awesome. On Anguilla, you have to find the awesome spots. They aren't obvious. You have to know where to look. Also, I think we got super lucky in that we found an amazing villa and got a good deal on it (villas are quite a bit pricier there) and we hit the season just right so that the weather was 100% gorgeous and there was literally no one on the island. If you're interested in Anguilla, I say "go." It's wonderful. But do plenty of planning so that you know where to go once you get there.

Sea-Nile - I'm not sure about the diving. I think there are some good dive spots and great snorkeling spots if you are willing to boat out there.
Vicki - How did you get a good deal on your villa? Was the company offering a deal or did you ask about one? Also, where did you get started on your research? Thanks.