Villa vs. Cinnamon Bay tent

Travel discussion for St. John
jofus

Villa vs. Cinnamon Bay tent

Post by jofus »

just looking for some input here,,,,
We've (me and husband) been to STJ for a week or 2 in Feb. of 2004 thru 2008. With the exception of our first year there we've always rented a secluded villa with a pool.
Due to the economy we haven't gone the past 2 Febs.(that's when our anniversary is).
I'm going thru serious STJ withdrawl.
I'd really like to celebrate my 40th b-day there. Birthday is the end of Oct. for both of us. I've been contemplating doing a week in a tent at Cinnamon for the first week of Nov. Which I could afford. Have enough miles for RT airfare for both of us and I'm assuming there'd be no need to rent a vehicle while staying at Cinnamon.

We do plenty of camping in the Northeast. Both of us our comfortable living out of a tent but our past STJ trips have always been on the upscale for us.

I guess i'm worried about being disappointed because we're used to the luxury of a villa.

Feel free to offer advice and or opinions

jofus
djmom

Post by djmom »

Are you planning on having "relations" on your birthday?
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
jofus

Post by jofus »

having "relations" isn't an issue i'm worried about.
We've had "relations" on several STJ beaches throughout our stays there, when there's a will there's a way :wink: . The tent I'd reserve is the most seclued on the eastern end. I'm refering to one of their platform canvas tents not a baresite with our own tent. And yes I'm aware they just have single cots. My hubby and I spent our first year together in a single waterbed shared with 3 dogs and 5 cats. Cramped quarters aren't such an issue for us
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

I guess it will depend on who you are. To me St John is St John. We never spend that much time at the villa anyway and to think the beach and ocean is only a few feet away. If you really love the place, any accommodation will do especially if you are accustomed to it anyway. Go.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

What Bill said...
petepie

Post by petepie »

May last year we were on St. John during a big mosquito bloom. We went to Cinnamon Bay, and the beaches were fine, but the showers, bathrooms, and camping areas were swarmed (literally swarms) of mosquitos. I had thought about camping at Cinnamon Bay a few times before, but after seeing the bugs and getting bitten all over on just the quick walk through the treeline from the beach to the parking lot, I decided that I probably wouldn't want to chance ending up there during another bloom.

You could book at Cinnamon, watch the weather (and ask people on island about the mosquitoes) as your dates get closer. If it looks like the bugs will be bad, maybe you can find an alternate place to stay last minute (especially if it's off season and not Thanksgiving week).
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We have stayed in a Villa as well as staying at CBay...As for us...doesnt matter..we'd stay in a hammock if that was our only choice..(of course with lots of Bug Spray ) :lol: We have stayed in the Cottages..but not the Tents..You can find more info on the tents on their Forum on their homepage..We were there in April and as far as location...it cant be beat..nothing like waking up and looking out and seeing CBay...:) We are going in June this time...and although I am concerned as far as not having any AC this is also the first time we are taking the kids...I wouldnt think in Nov that would be an issue..We are not getting a car for the entire trip this time either ..and wasnt going to get one at all until the kids decided they wanted to come with us..and I would like to take them to some of the places we have visited before...so we decided to get one for about half the time as this was a last minute kinda trip as well and we needed to cut costs where we could too..They have a small store and there are always taxis available.. But honeslty...I dont think you will be dissapointed...its just another way to enjoy being on STJ...:)
[/url]
loria

Post by loria »

Jofus,
for a bit more you could do Concordia --it's a bit more upscale and they have a pool there (but you would have to have a car--unless you want to rely on the VITRAN)
you may want to compare costs to see if the added expense is worth it--we love it there--and you get the luxury of a private bathroom/shower and they have a communal pool --
they also have other accommodations (there or at Maho)-- Cinnamon is great, but you may want to check everything out first.

good luck and congrats on your 40th.....wish i could go back there......(to 40...and i did spend mine in STJ at concordia....actually at shipwreck, but that's a long story!)
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
budman

Post by budman »

Jofus,

I started going to St John with buddies in the early 80's camping at C-Bay and Maho. We did both, tents and "cottages", the unit at the end of C-bay beach is the best!. Some of "my" greatest memories are from those times. That was almost 30 years ago, sh*t! After years of so called "upgrades" from camping to engagement/honeymoon at Gallows point to yearly trips to incredible villas all over the island, three years ago "we or I" decided to introduce our family of three to what I experienced 25+ years ago. What did we find, LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, the island hasn't changed much! Car not necessary (but we got one) Mosquitoes/No-seeums YES sometimes, warm sleeping weather YES, private beach and surf on Cinnamon in the late afternoons YES (HAPPY 40TH "relations" if so daring!)!!! figuring out how to tie the outdoor shower knob so it ran for a few minutes always fun, WATCHING PEOPLE CARRY TWO TONS OF NOTHING TO THE BEACH WAS PRICELESS. Let me tell you and everyone else something, if you are thinking about it? give it a try....you may or may not like it, but you'll definately make memories for your family!!!

Do you camp at home? if yes, try it!

Budman (AKA A/C lover)
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

I have also done the villa and the camping thing. I have camped in CB cottages in the past and would do so again in a heartbeat if it meant being on STJ. Good luck and I'd say go for it!
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

I say do it. I have both baresite camped and stayed in the canvas tents at Cinnamon. No seeums, nothing that you can't survive. I've found they're only on the beach at dusk. Air conditioning, I have never once wished that I had A/C while being on STJ. I don't typically rent a car on STJ. Cinnamon is an excellent location for taxis or hitching. You're not "green" to camping so you won't have any issues being at Cinnamon. Yes, it is not the luxury of a villa but it's an economical way to spend some time on the Island. Guess you need to weigh what you want more: villa luxury and not being able to afford the trip or lowering your expectations and enjoying Island time. I vote for the latter.
~Brenda~
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

There was a great post on here not too long ago about a camping trip to STJ...search and see if you can find it I think it will make you want to give it a try..it was a great report..
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Gromit

Post by Gromit »

If you are comfy with the camping thing then go for it. But keep in mind there are some other decent low cost options out there too like Sail View and a few other spots.

Or if you find a place (read: villa) you like you could consider contacting the owner and negotiating a lower price.

Keep in mind that you're gonna be right in the heart of hurricane season in October. It's one thing to get caught in some serious rain with a roof over your head but might be more challenging in a tent.

Another option, while not STJ, is to head over to Ivans Campground on Jost. Their cabins are $55 a night off season (or something like that).

We wanted to stay in the VI's for two weeks this coming December and I thought it would be good to save a little cash by doing Jost for 1 week and a small villa on STJ for the other week.

Just a thought.
Last edited by Gromit on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Jofus - Also check out Serendipity Condos. They're pretty reasonable and more comfortable than a tent. They have a pool, a deck with a view of Cruz Bay and they're just past Pine Peace so within walking distance of town and in an easy location for catching one of the taxi's.