Spirit Air

Travel discussion for St. John
jake

Spirit Air

Post by jake »

We're about to use Spirit for the first time; trying to keep costs down this time we did NOT purchase seat assignments.
Has anyone had experience with the seating at the gate for Spirit? Or do you recommend pre-purchase...?
Thanks in advance.
Jake
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

No personal experience but with the way things are going with Spirit, they might end up giving you the choice to pay for fold up camp chair or stand for the entire flight. :shock:
jake

Post by jake »

Agree...I wonder if their low cost fee includes takeoff AND landing, or just takeoff...(!)
Jake
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We have flown Spirit 2 times...and as far as seat assignments...We have always just bought our seats in advance..so I cant help you there...but for us, I just rather sit next to hubby...and then if I wanna sleep on his shoulder...I can...and not have to worry what some stranger may think If I feel asleep on him.. :lol: Some of the cheaper ones start out at about 8 bucks for each leg...not too bad.
[/url]
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

We are using Spirit Air this year as well. We paid for seat assignments. I don't know if we will use them agian. I understand that now you have to pay for cary on. I could be wrong, but my source is reliable. We got in under the wire. We are driving 5 hrs. to save the money. It won't be worth it next year if this is going to be the case. :x
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Not sure when you are traveling...but its my understanding that you pay if you are traveling after August 1st or purchased tickets after April 1st. We got ours in March so we missed it...but for us...we are about 2 hrs central to Clt...Rdu and MB ..so next yr...(or next flight)..which ever comes first...I will be checking to see what the rates are as far as paying for carryon...as compared to other airlines as well...:)
[/url]
jake

Post by jake »

Thanks, everybody. I'm going to take the safe route and select seats; may be worth it not to worry about where we'll end up.
It is my understanding that we're OK with carry-on (we're flying in May.
Even with paying for seats it is still cheaper.
Bon voyage...
Jake
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Are you connecting in Fort Lauderdale? If so I have some advice for you as we did that last June and it was a miserable experience.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We are going in June and are not having to pay for carry on...I called just to be sure...and for us...They were cheaper as well..we paid 510.00 for 2 rnd trip from MB. It may not be next time we go..but this time I thought it was a great deal...:)

johnklinedinst wrote:Thanks, everybody. I'm going to take the safe route and select seats; may be worth it not to worry about where we'll end up.
It is my understanding that we're OK with carry-on (we're flying in May.
Even with paying for seats it is still cheaper.
Bon voyage...
[/url]
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

Teresa - do tell!!! We are going through Ft. Lauderdale in July
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We connected through FLL both there and back for our June '09 trip and both layovers were miserable. Spirit puts STT flights through the international terminal so you're stuck in a small terminal with limited food options and LOTS of people...there were people everywhere, a lot of people couldn't find seats, etc...we were packed in like sardines. The food lines were 50+ people deep at all times, and after I'd waited forever in one line they ran out of salad dressing so I ended up mixing mustard and mayo as a makeshift dressing...they were also out of whatever it was my husband was going to order.

Everybody here complains about the STT airport food situation, but it is fine dining compared to what we experienced at FLL.

I would make sure you have snacks with you so you aren't at the mercy of what's available in the terminal.

We usually fly United and occasionally Delta to STT...after the experiences we had in FLL we won't be flying Spirit ever again. I hope they've improved things and you have a better experience.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We went thru there April 09 (spring break week) and have had connections thru there a cpl times before and the terminal was crowded for a few minutes upon arrival...we usually arrive about 10am and have a 2 hr lay over depending on where we are going...so we have lunch there...and never had any problems getting anything or waited on...about the norm for any other airport. We just wait until some of the flights take off before we have lunch as its still early for lunch when we arrive..maybe we have just been lucky...Hopefully all will go well this time too...we are connecting thru there on our trip in June...:)
[/url]