Can we make it to Soggy Dollar and Willy T in the same day??

Travel discussion for St. John
lsugolfer

Can we make it to Soggy Dollar and Willy T in the same day??

Post by lsugolfer »

We're looking at renting a boat for the day to do a bit of fishing but mainly to "bar hop" the BVI's...

Can we make it to both in the same day? Or is this just impossible? Also is their a good day of the week to go? We're pretty lax in planning for the week (except for the jeep rental which was booked 7 months ago!) so we'd like to go when its the most fun!

Thanks for keeping me occupied at "work" this week!
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Congrats on your first trip!

Yes, you can do both if conditions permit. Always ask your captain and trust his judgement. If it's choppy out there, it can make for a miserable trip. Have an amazing time!
NancyB
lsugolfer

Post by lsugolfer »

Nancy_B wrote:Congrats on your first trip!

Yes, you can do both if conditions permit. Always ask your captain and trust his judgement.
Well the captain will be me! Me and my soon to be wife own a boat here very similar to the one we are booking...so we will certainly be aware of the conditions and not risk anything.
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Speaking from experience, yes you can do both. (And Pirate's too!) But it's a good thing I had somebody else in charge. Had I been captain I'm afraid we would have ended up on St. Croix or someplace after several hours of bar-hopping. :)
Pia

Post by Pia »

Just remember no fishing in BVI waters so make sure you know where you are - huge fines and off to prison you might go - happened to a STJ local a few years ago and they took his boat and I think he had to pay approx $35,000 to get it back - I believe the rules are the same for commercial fishermen and non alike, all I know is I wouldn't chance it, but if anyone knows for sure this is the forum you will find out :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
lsugolfer

Post by lsugolfer »

Pia wrote:Just remember no fishing in BVI waters so make sure you know where you are - huge fines and off to prison you might go -

Pia
Wow...yea I'll certainly check into this! Didn't know that at all.
loria

Post by loria »

you can order charts online-- depending on when you are there the channel can be intense--and coming around the south end of stj, you can get totally pounded (or at least we did --it was June a long time ago....) it was a major knee test.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Yes, you need a special permit to fish in BVI waters, and they aren't easy to come by. I only know one guy that has one, Cleve, from Local Flavor Charters.

You can definitely make both spots in one day. I highly recommend that the driver stays completely sober though. Unless you are very familiar with the waters here, you will need to be on your toes. My office is right by Ocean Runner and you don't even want to know the horrors of damaged reefs and expensive boat repairs I've heard!!! I would highly recommend taking a captain/guide. It's not that much more of an expense and it will allow everyone in your party to have a good time, be safe, keep the reefs safe, and probably burn a lot less gas.

Have a great time!!!!
lsugolfer

Post by lsugolfer »

Yep, we decided to go with the captain to make it easier on us with the added minor expense.

This might sound silly but is tipping customary? I know captains here in Louisiana basically expect 20% plus a portion of the fish, but all places are different.
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

We rented a boat for a day and did the barhopping thing and a little snorkeling..We went to Pirates for tshirts, Willie T, the caves at Norman and then over to Sandy Spit/Cay (forget which is which) and then over to Jost.
Depends how much time you want to spend at each place. I would reserve the most time for Jost..
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yes 15% to 20% and usually a portion of the catch
Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

GraysonDave wrote:Speaking from experience, yes you can do both. (And Pirate's too!)
I agree with GraysonDave that you should hit Pirates on Norman. It's a cool place and you'll be so close, why not?
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

The Willy T/Soggy Dollar combo is potent, but oh so fun. Others have suggested The Cave, Pirate's, etc, but my personal preference was the trip where we went and snorkeled the Indians first, then hit the Caves, then the Willy T and then Jost.

Watch out though... those Willy T drinks are crazy strong. We were all very "festive" by lunchtime.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

We rented from Ocean 2 weeks ago...(has it been that long ago) and made a run to the Baths...Marina Cay for lunch along the north shore of Tortola and Jost for some painkillers.

We had two of us that are boaters, but am I glad we decided to get a Captain the night before...so much easier and stress free.

And we were very lucky to get Captain Ben. Ask for him he is the best. Everybody on St John knows him.
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

You can easily do that...

We've done Norman Island, Cooper Island, Sandy Cay, and two different harbors of Jost van Dyke in a single trip, and have not felt like we were rushing around.