Underwater digital camera

Travel discussion for St. John
babydocwhit

Underwater digital camera

Post by babydocwhit »

Hi guys,
So, I've searched and reviewed the posts on digital cameras, including this great article that was posted previously:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

I am now trying to choose between the two front-runners in the test group, The Canon D10 and Panasonic DMC-TS1.
I was set on the Canon D10 for underwater picture quality until I read several Amazon reviews that complained about leakage and camera damage.

Any personal experience with these underwater digital cameras? I am really not interested in housings or disposables at this point.
I'd like an underwater digital that takes great pictures.

Thanks!
jmhouse

Post by jmhouse »

I wouldn't be too turned off by those Amazon reviews. Any underwater camera has a risk of leaking, especially if care isn't taken to inspecting the seals for dirt or anything else before putting it under water. The smallest piece of dirt or hair could be enough to compromise the seal.
Matt
Taghan

Post by Taghan »

I was in the same boat as you recently, trying to figure out what waterproof camera to buy. I wasn't keen on using a housing with our only camera with the fear that it would leak and then I'd be down for the count!

We ended up buying the Canon D10 last week. I've tried it around the house, but can't wait to try it out on island!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I have read several reports where Forumites reported that their D10 leaked, but, as you've already seen above, there are so many variables to why they leaked. Also, we don't know how many are being used day after day and trip after trip without a drop of water getting into the cameras. Why? Because that is not news.

I have been using a Sealife Ecoshot for four trips. It is a waterproof camera with no housing required. It has snorkled most of the beaches on STJ and dove at least 25 times to depths of as much as 80 feet at the Rhone. It has not leaked. (pause while I knock vigorously on lots of wood) It is not the greatest camera, but I am generally pleased with its ability to capture some images.

All of the underwater shots in this video are raw shots from that camera with no Photoshop or other fixes. (Some day we'll work on doing that too.)

http://vimeo.com/5785052

Good luck with whatever you select.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I got a D10 primarily for underwater and am pleased with the pictures.

So far, no problems with leakage or anything else.

Here's some non-underwater pics that I took last month.

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... t=quickie

And if you search Umbrella and Drink and Tour, you'll see my TRs from November; all of the UW pics were taken with the D10 (conditions weren't the best). And the pics from the last day at Trunk.
janet
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We got a D10 for our last trip, and liked it alot. We didn't have any leaking problems. We did check that all the seals were okay, each time we opened a "door."
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

jimg20 wrote:
http://vimeo.com/5785052

Good luck with whatever you select.

JIM
Hey Jim - thanks for sharing that, I enjoyed watching them! In your 2008 STJ video, the first song you chose was perfect (OPH). I think I'm gonna take a stab at this with my pics next time.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Thanks Sox. I replied on a new thread.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

BillVT

Post by BillVT »

We picked up the D10 at Boolchands in St Thomas on our way over to STJ and have been using it for a week and half. All of our posts have had at least one photo from that camera. We don't know how long it will last but have enjoyed using it this trip. There is a difference between seeing fish and taking pictures of them tough. We are finding it takes some practice and some fish are just photo adverse. Good luck on your choice.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Just saw some of the Fuji z33s at BJs for $109 and decided to pick up 3 for gifts. I gave one a dry land run-through last weekend and while it is no match for my Olympus 720SW, it does a good job of simplifying operation and taking pretty decent shots.

My wife has complained that our recent camera additions, a Fuji S1000fd takes great shots, but is a little complex and the Sanyo xacti VPC CG10 has a huge shutter delay compared to her old favorite an xacti VPC C40 (RIP). The new z33 focuses, snaps and saves fairly quickly and is pretty simple to operate.. hope this fits her need.

One other thing, it is tiny; you should be able to tuck it anywhere. But if folks refer to your hands as "mitts" this may be hard to operate :)
star2515

Post by star2515 »

I my self are looking for a decent underwater camera as well. Nothing fancy just a alternate for beach/underwater/boat shots. I know there are alot of you that have had lots of luck with the Cannon D10, but I was wondering if anyone has used the Olympus STYLUS TOUGH-3000, or any camera in their "Tough" series. It's about 75 dollars cheaper, and seems to have comprable performance.
STJdreams

Post by STJdreams »

We have an Olympus Stylus 8000 and love it. We got it last year right before our STJ trip. It is easy to use and takes great shots underwater. It is a nice all around point and shoot type camera and is quite rugged. We use it often. It is fun to shoot small videos with it too. Just remember to soak it each night (after being used underwater) in a container of fresh water for 5 minutes or so, this keeps everything clean and keeps the seals from eroding from the salt water.
star2515

Post by star2515 »

STJdreams: Thanks for the reply. From what I've read the just released Tough-3000 (2010) was last years Tough-8000(2009)...so if that's true you've been quite helpful. Since the Tough-3000's only been out a month or so, there are no reviews by customers yet....so my DH is worried. And everyone on the forum loves the Cannon D10, so I'm glad to get aleast one thumbs up for the tough series.
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

oh well...mr. stjdreams here....just to add to my wife's post....this olympus made it through a week underwater and above water in the sand at STJ, a summer on the beach in NH surfing, 10 days in Puerto Rico surfing and sunning....and we've had no problems at all. It's taken quite alot of abuse.

We also have a Nikon D80 that we love, but when we want a simple point/shoot camera that's small and easy to carry, we use this now all the time for normal events. We initially purchased this one because our friends had the previous model for a year and raved about it. So we're quite happy it's been able to take this beating.

best of luck!
Splasher54

Olympus tough series

Post by Splasher54 »

We just returned from 9 days on St John and used our new Olympus Tough 6020. It took great pics and we had no problems with it at all. It was easier than using my Canon with the underwater housing. I can actually see the screen when shooting underwater. I am going to look at the new 8000 b/c I liked this camera so much (I bought this one for my husband's birthday)
(Message Boards code, FertilityFriend.com's boards, phpBB based Image