Hiking Shoes

Travel discussion for St. John
cabster50

Hiking Shoes

Post by cabster50 »

Are hiking shoes such as Keens needed or are sneakers and water shoes enough? I have seen different forums and there seems to be a difference of opinions....thanks!!!
ihochman

Post by ihochman »

Really depends on what kind of hiking you're planning
on doing. I've walk a few trails in sneakers and they've been fine but others need more of a real shoe.
djmom

Post by djmom »

The reward for most hikes is a dip in the water in the middle of the hike.

For that reason I would highly recommend Keens or Tevas, you have so much more flexibility there and nothing is grosser than having to put back on shoes. You can take off the Keens or just go in with them depending on the beach. Water shoes will only be good for the shortest of hikes, in my opinion, as wet water shoes can be slippery and lead to quick blisters too.

The Keens are perfectly acceptable around town with the exception of probably the very very top end of places. You can easily get by with Keens being your only shoes if you dare pack that lightly!
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
cabster50

Post by cabster50 »

thanks for the great info...do you know how keens run in size--are they true to size or do you have to go up or down a number?
catbat

Post by catbat »

Keens tend to run a half-size small. And I would heartily recommend them (or a similar hiking sandal) for USVI trails. They let your feet breathe, protect your toes, and plow fearlessly through any ocean stretches of your rock scrambling. For my money, couldn't ask for a better island hiking shoe than the Keen H2.
JT

Post by JT »

I haven't personally ever found the need for anything other then Tevas on numerous trips, and we have done midnight hikes, and minor rock climbing. I thought about buying a pair of Keens, but I gotta say that after looking at them I was underwhelmed with the construction for $94.00
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.