Barcelona

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Terry

Barcelona

Post by Terry »

Thinking about a quick trip to Barcelona, Spain. 7-10 days this Fall. Any suggestions on places to stay? If anyone has any ideas on sites other than the most famous, we'd really appreciate it.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Hi Terry---No ideas for you but when I watch the movie Vicki Cristina Barcelona (and I've watched it more than once), it makes me want to go to Barcelona.

Have fun---can you get a discount at a Starwood property? The Le Meridien looks beautiful. I saw a blurb in the LA Times travel section about Barcelona's art about a week ago:

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-bar ... ory?page=1
---Jim
Terry

Post by Terry »

IowaGuy,
Funny you should ask as I just left her a voice message. I was looking at the exact property you mentioned. Daughter has been there, but only for two days a few years ago. Gaudi is one of our favorite artists. He was way before his time. I want to see his work before I'm gone.

Airfare was $500...then the added taxes, etc were $390! It totalled $931 per per round trip. What is up with all those extra fees? Holy cow! Don't want this to get political, but are those fees related to taxing the wealthy?
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

If you are thinking 10 days then maybe you would like to get out of town for a few. There is a coastal region not too far called Costa Brava. It's party central during the summer but Im sure it quiets down later in the season. No one parties like the spaniards!
jdw

Post by jdw »

If you would like to stay near the sea, my favorite hotel properties in Barcelona are Hotel Arts and the Grand Marina.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Terry wrote:Airfare was $500...then the added taxes, etc were $390! It totalled $931 per per round trip. What is up with all those extra fees?
I had the same question when looking at flights to Europe…here are some answers...

“International travelers are even more likely to feel the tax collectors’ pinch, as governments around the world have increased passenger fees to pay for security, airport improvements, customs inspections, tourism promotions and environmental concerns — though critics say many of these taxes end up in general treasury accounts.”

From: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/02/business/02fees.html
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Terry

Post by Terry »

Good news...daughter can get us a Starwood discount for $75/night. Found out that some of our college friends will be there in September also for a wedding so we may hook up with them and give them the discount also. Just waiting for airfare to go down, if thats possible.

Keep sending any ideas on what to see, where to eat, etc. Love these sort of last minute ideas.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

We spent a day in Barcelona on a cruise. We did the hop-on/hop-off bus, but due to crowds (mid-September) and lines hopping on, we didn't stop as many places as planned. We did spend a bit of time at Gaudi's Sagrada Familia church, had a drink at the Hard Rock, then tapas and sangria on La Rambla.

Friends of ours did a day trip to Montserrat and really enjoyed it.
janet
LovetoTravel

Post by LovetoTravel »

My sister and I went to Spain. Our last stop was Barcelona. We actually flew into Madrid(3 days), took the train to Seville(3 days), and then the train to Barcelona(4 days)!! We LOVED taking the train. We did want to spend the bulk of our time in Barcelona. To me the best way to see Gaudi is the double-decker bus. you can get on and off whenever you want to. we went to the church. we went to a really cool Gaudi park. My sister and I did not stay in a hotel. we stayed in apartments, which was pretty cool. our apt. in Barcelona was across from Le meridien. we had drinks there. pretty cool place. Have FUN!!! Spain was really not on my top places to go in Europe, but my sister wanted to go. I am very HAPPY I went. We also took side trips, which needless to say was an ADVENTURE!! LOL!!

Have a GREAT TIME!!
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Oh, I love Barcelona! Went with my mom in '01. Here are a few pics: http://sarahbastille.com/barcelona/

I recommend a day trip up to the Montserrat monastery (we took a train from the city). The mountains above the monastery look like something out of Star Trek! Beautiful, and (I think) really worth the trip. http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/ ... spain.html

I second the Bus Turistic -- it's excellent.

My favorite Gaudi house was Casa Mila / la Perdrera.

I love Spain so much -- wish I had a trip planned!!