Taxi fare vs rental car

Travel discussion for St. John
BPT

Taxi fare vs rental car

Post by BPT »

I'm trying to add up our possible taxi costs to compare to renting a car for our 5 day stay. Is taxi fare from the Westin to Cruz Bay still just $2.50? We always rent a car but at $70-85/day, it seems like we're paying a lot of extra for "the convenience". Plus our daughter loves the open air taxi's. Especially going over the crest of the hills! So, is taxi fare still $2.50? Thanks.
luv2travel

Post by luv2travel »

BPT

Post by BPT »

Thank you. The rate sheet I had found must have been very old but did not have a date. Rates are twice what I had seen. Cheers!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

BPT-- If you;re going to spend most of your time at the Westin then you;re correct, renting a car would be a waste of time.

If however you want to explore beaches and spend the day touring aroun STJ then a car would be a better bet.

If cost is an issue, split the difference and only rent a car for a portion of your stay.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

When we're staying somewhere that we can get taxi's fairly easily, we typically will rent a car for part of the time.

That said, we're just 2 (or just one as was my last trip), so taxi'ing is less costly.

Ferry Dock to Trunk is $6/pp; to Caneel, it was either $4 or $5. I imagine the Westin is a couple of $$ more.
janet
BPT

Post by BPT »

We've cancelled the car and decided to go with taxi's. Probably one day we'll grab a car to get back to Coral Bay. We've been exploring St John since 1992 so taxi fares and car rental prices have changed a lot. My teen daughter and husband are going to dive several times so I'll probably just taxi over to Hawksnest or Caneel. Oooh. I almost get a chill just being able to write that!! Thanks everybody.
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

I've only rented a car on STJ once for 3 or 4 days. Did not book ahead but had no problem getting a car from STJ car rental. Otherwise, I've always hitched or taken a cab ($8.00 ea way from Cinnamon Bay to Cruz Bay). Your daughter and husband should have no problem hitching a ride to any of the closer-to-town beaches (if they're comfortable with hitching). As well, from my experience, I've even been given free cab rides when I've asked to be dropped at a beach and the cab is going in to town. By the way, I have never hitchhiked in my entire life except on STJ. It just felt totally "cool" to be doing it there and striking up 10 minute conversations with total strangers.
~Brenda~