Tips needed for overnighting on Jost

Travel discussion for St. John
54b

Tips needed for overnighting on Jost

Post by 54b »

Hello STJ Fans,

Favor to ask of those of you who have done an overnight trip to Jost...my wife and I took a day-trip the last time we vacationed on St. John and we thought we might try an overnight trip to Jost when we head back to STJ in June. Woohoo.

We're thinking we'll just take the ferry over on Friday or Saturday morning and then come back the next day on the morning or afternoon ferry.

Anyway, I've heard there are cabins/camp sites to rent for the night near White Bay and just wanted to get some tips for getting that done...as well as any other good things to know about overnighting on Jost.

Not looking for anything too fancy, just something a step above passing out on the beach...which may happen anyway.

Thanks in advance, this forum is truly an invaluable resource.
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

We stayed at Ivan's Campground a few years ago. Loved not having to worry about catching the afternoon ferry - just relaxed on the beach and watched the sun fade away......

Anyway - Ivan's has options of a camp site, a camp site with tent, and a "cabin". We chose the cabin. It's a cinder-block building, maybe 20' X 20'. Has a bed, a table and a fan. Screens on the windows. Very basic. Fine for crashing after a great day in the sun (and a few adult beverages).

Ivan's has a website. http://www.ivanscampground.com/
Phone number is 284-495-9358. We called to make our reservations.

They do take credit cards and do have an Honor Bar. Get what you want and write it down in their log book. Pay when you leave.

Good Luck! Have Fun!
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

We've done the same thing (over on a morning ferry and back on the next day's ferry) and opted to stay at Ivan's in a cabin. Cabin is a generous term...but they are cheap and reasonably comfortable for one night. Plus, Ivan's is just a cool place.

Just make sure you go pee right before bed. Getting up and walking to the bathhouse in the dark of night isn't all that fun.

Especially if it's raining. And you just ran out in a t-shirt because you weren't aware of the presence of the motion lights. :shock:
NCSue

Post by NCSue »

Vicki - I feel there's a story there!
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

The cabin is like a screened in porch at Ivans.
Some have fridges. All have lights and fans and curtains over the screens.
Bring a flashlight, just like you would at Maho.
Very nice and just call or email and Darline will answer all your q's.
She is one of Ivans daughters.
Rosi

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Ditto the answers about Ivan's. Very basic, but perfect. They have a kitchen- you can bring stuff and store it there and cook up a great breakfast in the am (if the propane is full ;-). We ate at Foxy's the night we stayed and walked back over the hill to Ivan's- saw the entire Milky Way-then hung out on the quiet beach in the dark- so much better than having to go back in the afternoon- will never forget it!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Yay! You're going back! Can't wait for your (please, please treat us to....) wonderful trip reports again. Yours were such great reads!
54b

Thank you, good stuff

Post by 54b »

Thanks, guys...good tips. Definitely making a reservation with Ivan and Darlene ahead of time. In reading a little more on the Jost sites, it sounds like the Foxy's BBQ is a pretty good deal and/or Lobster at Sidney's. But hitting those place along with White Bay may be a bit of stretch with no car...though I know there are cabs.

If anyone's got any tips there, please advise.

And Mande, thanks for the compliment and good memory. It's funny you mention the trip reports...I finally went back and finished it, Day 7, a couple months ago. I didn't post it because it seemed a little random to post last day from a trip that happened 8 months earlier.

Doubt I'll be able to write that much again, but I hope to do one with pictures this time around.

Thanks again.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
designbyroe

Re: Thank you, good stuff

Post by designbyroe »

54b wrote:Thanks, guys...good tips. Definitely making a reservation with Ivan and Darlene ahead of time. In reading a little more on the Jost sites, it sounds like the Foxy's BBQ is a pretty good deal and/or Lobster at Sidney's. But hitting those place along with White Bay may be a bit of stretch with no car...though I know there are cabs.

If anyone's got any tips there, please advise.

And Mande, thanks for the compliment and good memory. It's funny you mention the trip reports...I finally went back and finished it, Day 7, a couple months ago. I didn't post it because it seemed a little random to post last day from a trip that happened 8 months earlier.

Doubt I'll be able to write that much again, but I hope to do one with pictures this time around.

Thanks again.
Bunn (Bunny we call him) can run you into Great Harbour to go to Foxy's or Corsairs.
Sydney's is on Little Harbour.
You can walk (it is up a hill and a steady grade) from dinner if you want. So many people you will meet at Ivans that sometimes it is just a big group that goes out to eat or you will have people cooking and sharing.
You will meet alot of cool people staying overnight.

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

54b-- If you're staying at Ivans overnight bring:

-a flashlight
-citronella candle
-matches
-water bottle
-flip flops to shower in

Check out my past TR's on Foxy's BBQ. It's quite a spread. But make reservations in advance.

If it's lobster you crave -- Harris' place (next to Sydneys) is also very good.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
54b

Post by 54b »

Thanks, Gromit...how far in advance should you make a reservation at Ivans and for the Foxy's BBQ.

We know the week we'll be on St. John, just haven't decided the exact day we'll head over to Jost (probably go on Friday or Saturday).

I'm actually trying not to schedule this trip down to the minute like last time, but hey, you gotta make some plans right.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Check with Foxy's but I think that they only do their BBQ on Friday nights. Of course this can always change.

We went over on a Friday AM and stayed thru Saturday afternoon. This worked well IMHO.

We reserved the Arawak Cabin at Ivans. It has a King size bed, a little porch and is close to the beach and bathrooms too. SUPER cute. Again, check out my past TR from June, 2009. It's spartan but comfy. Be prepared to smell a lot of weed being smoked and to be offered a "smoke" repeatedly. Not judging, just sayin.

We also went ahead and rented a car from Abe & Nices for the short period and were glad we did. Gave us the flexibility to explore the island. The taxi prices can add up pretty quickly unless you just plan on parking yourself at Ivans or Soggy Dollar.

The walk to soggy dollar isn't short. If you plan on parking yourself then consider bringing snacks with you in case you get hungry. Ivans has alcohol and a community kitchen but I don't recall them serving food (or maybe just didn't notice).

As soon as I determined when I wanted to go to Jost I called and made a reservation (several months in advance). So I'd say call or e-mail them now.

As for Foxy's once you get on STJ go ahead and call them for reservation later in the week. OR if you aren't sure then go there first thing when you get on Jost.

In the AM wander over towards Foxy's for some breakfast options or up the alley to Christines bakery for fresh baked breads and goodies.

Foxy's BBQ is a great spread. It's not all you can eat, but it's essentially all you can pile on your plate for one go round. Bring bug spray.

Let me know if you need any additional info!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Oh, you also have a little fridge in the cabin and a fan.
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Ivan's BBQ on Thursday nights ("seasonally") is very good. That would be a perfect night to stay. Loads of great food without the trek to Foxy's.
54b

Post by 54b »

Thanks so much, Gromit...loads of good info there. We'll go ahead and book a cabin with Ivans.

Thanks again,
54b