ALL PACKED & READY TO GO QUICK QUESTION...

Travel discussion for St. John
cbrund1079

ALL PACKED & READY TO GO QUICK QUESTION...

Post by cbrund1079 »

Well after all our planning and waiting it's almost time for us to leave on our 1st adventure to STJ. We leave Saturday out of JFK (weather permitting). Of course everything I have been reading for the last few months has escaped me. I'm sure once we are there it will all come back to me or at least sound familiar. We are staying in Coral Bay @ Sailview. We are renting a Jeep in STT and taking the car barge over to STJ. Is it easy to find the ferry in Red Hook?

Does anyone know if there is a full moon party Sunday @ Miss Lucy's? If not we will probably go to the Sunday Brunch. Does anyone know what the hours are for the Brunch?

Any other tips or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom and Cheryl :?: :?: :?: :?:
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Miss Lucy's opens at 10 am on Sunday for brunch. Try to be there a little earlier though to "stake out" a good table under the sea grape trees in the shade. Don't worry - no one bothers you if you're early and the views are worth looking at while you're waiting. It's also fun to check out the chickens, goats and the coral and flotsam that's washed up on the shoreline.

I recommend the Lime in the Coconut with brunch...YUM!!
tincansailor

Post by tincansailor »

Car ferry is just north of the passenger ferry terminal with its own entrance.

If you pass it by mistake, it's easy to turn around in either direction.

I have a photo of it but can't link it from my PC. If you'll PM me, I'll send it.

Have a great time!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Here are my directions to the car ferry from the airport - no the fastest but probably the easiest for newbies

Pia

OK buckle up and we are on our way.........

1) Exit the airport and take a right at the traffic light.

2) Continue on that road past downtown CA, past Havensite, past the cruise ships. The road will then start to climb up.

3) You will come to a stop sign - bear left. Now about this stop sign....you will notice alot of people don't see it and don't stop as it is behind a tree/bush (unless it has been recently trimmed) If you miss it and don't turn/bear left you will end up at the Marriott hotel so just turn around go back to the stop sign (much easier to spot from this direction) and turn right.

4) Stay on this road and eventually you will come to another stop sign at a T interstection. Turn right. The "bridge to nowhere" will be on your right at that T intersection

5) Stay on that road and you will arrive in Red Hook and the car ferry will be on your right

Travel time approx 30-35 mins on a "normal" traffic day, but if there are alot of cruise ships in, and you are trying to get through downtown CA between 4pm and 5:30pm (they are all returning to the ships and people are also leaving from work) it could take alot longer.
Realtor - St John Properties
Illyse

Post by Illyse »

We went on our first trip to STJ the first of this month - those are exactly the kinds of things I worried about - finding the ferry, directions, etc.! We rented our jeep from Dependable (not on sight at the airport). We called them when our baggage came out and they arrived within five minutes to pick us up and take us to their place to get our jeep. I started getting nervous when I saw how busy the streets were (I guess I had pictured a "sleepy little island", more like STJ).

The people at Dependable gave us a printed tourist map on which they highlighted the route to the ferry, but also a hand drawn map (which was really helpful in getting back to them!).

It wasn't hard to find the ferry (though we did make one wrong turn we quickly figured it out and turned around). If you watch carefully, there are some signs on the side of the road with cartoon starfish pointing the way to Red Hook.

Once we found Red Hook, we were a bit confused about where the car barge was. When you enter the parking lot for the ferry go straight (do not bear right into the parking lot) to a little booth where you pay a $3.00 departure tax. Then you continue straight and "line up" for the ferry. There are attendants there who show you what to do, but it seems everyone just kind of knows,. You will ultimately be backing on to the ferry in extremely tight rows (I made my husband do this!). You pay for the ferry onboard. At the time only one car barge was running so we bought a round trip fare (which we had to pay cash for - no credit cards - for $50).

On the other side everyone disembarks and just drives off - we were a bit confused about where to go, but fairly quickly found our way using the map the rental place had given us.

Coral bay is quite a ways from the ferry dock, and there will be steep hairpin turns and narrower roads than you can imagine - but drive slow and you'll make it!

Have a terrific trip!
babydocwhit

Post by babydocwhit »

We rent a jeep in St. Thomas, and I agree, they give you a map, and it's easy. We will do it that way again, for sure. We also did our grocery shopping there at the big bulk grocery store, per forum recommendations. It seemed to be a lot cheaper than STJ, though we bought a bit too much food and booze for our week. Have fun!!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Great advice from this forum, as usual!
After you get into your rental, just keep the water to your right, and keep going east!
There will be 'starfish' type signs directing you to the Red Hook ferry.
After you enter the main parking lot, go past the main entrance and you'll see the car barge up ahead on your right.
Do yourself a favor;-(depending on which barge you take-)
don't sit / stay in your vehicle on the way over!
Get out & go up top for a chilly drink, delicious breeze, and view of the island upon arrival.
( I think it was the Roanoke barge that served beers & sodas on the top floor...)
You'll probably have a villa greeter meeting you at the car barge ferry on STJ, so don't worry about finding your way to the villa.
Be sure to look over the Welcome/ Guide Book for STJ at the villa. There's usually one with maps & info for beaches/restaurants, etc...
So jealous, have fun!!!!
Smiles-
MJ
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

If there's a full moon, then there's a party at Miss Lucy's for sure! Not so much a "party" but great food and the moon across the bay is fabulous - wouldn't miss it if I were you!! Brunch is heavenly too, though - why not both - you're staying in Coral Bay - easy to get to!!
cbrund1079

Post by cbrund1079 »

Thanks for all the info, we really appreciate it.

Waiting out the storm that is hitting the northeast today and tomorrow. Delta is not re-accommodating anyone for Saturday travel yet which is when we are suppose to leave out of JFK. Tried to get out today but it would cost $900 for air and 2 more nights for a hotel and 2 more days for the rental car if there is even any availability. :twisted: UGH!!!!! You look forward to a trip and then Mother Nature slaps you upside the head....and says Ha!Ha! don't get too excited.
babydocwhit

so sorry...

Post by babydocwhit »

what a heartbreak!