Favorite meal - eating in at villa?

Travel discussion for St. John
djmom

Post by djmom »

Well Rob, it is nice to think you are cooler. But I am a cooler person too. 8)
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

We did quesadillas for SOTB III (well I didn't) but they were good. :D
I am for anything easy on vacation. Grill some meat and make a vegetable and a potato or rice.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

A nice thick cut of London Broil, poked a few times with a fork, marinated in low sodium soy sauce and a few scoops of chopped garlic from the jar (how much depends on your love for garlic. I load in a few good tablespoons full) marinate in a ziploc bag (remove as much air as possible). Marinate for a day or you can freeze it and bring it with you.
cjroyer

Post by cjroyer »

We are also cooler people. We take extra chicken, grill it all up, then make chicken fettucinni with the left over chicken. Also a favorite is eye roast on the grill. Just slab a bunch of mustard on it, roll it on a plate filled with onion salt and seasoned pepper, grill on high till the outside gets crusty, then just cook on lower heat till meat thermometer says it's done (can you tell I just hand over the sloppy hunk of beef to husband :-)). Anyway, it sounds gross but it is soooo good. When you slice it, put it on a deep plate because the juice just runs out of it.
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Here's a thought. Rotisserie chicken from Starfish, Bread from Baked in the Sun, and some Josephine's Greens.
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

sea-nile wrote:We did quesadillas for SOTB III (well I didn't) but they were good. :D
I am for anything easy on vacation. Grill some meat and make a vegetable and a potato or rice.
We also did a pasta dish one night (for eight): brought some of those Knorr dried sauce mixes (just add water and/or milk and or olive oil) from home, mixed with tortellini (also bought from home) and we bought shrimp at starfish to add to it. Add a loaf of bread and some salad and there was enough for leftovers. Yum!
Last edited by b-as-u-r on Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STJ - I "get it"
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

SJfromNJ wrote:I like a good breakfast. Omlet, potatoes, toast coffee, juice.
DEFINATELY!!!
Smiles-
MJ
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

You are going to think I am off my tree---but----we bring center cut bacon and a bacon tree (for the microwave). It is great to have for breakfast and also very easy when my teens want something in between meals.

You could also make BLT's.

Gina
2beachbums

Post by 2beachbums »

We pretty much stick to grilling, steaks, chicken, and brats and hotdogs. The prepackaged potatoes and noodles that you just have to add water to work well or put carrots and potatoes (with lots of butter and garlic salt) wrapped in foil on the grill.

We have some great cheese shops back home so we bring a few pounds of cheese and cold cuts for sandwiches, including 7 yr old aged cheddar to eat with smoked oysters and crackers for a snack!

:)
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

CJROYER: We do that roast with the mustard, salt and pepper too. I always let it marinate for a day, first, and I use chuck roast. You're right...yum!

Our favorite dinner was crab legs brought from home and steamed on the grill as per Liamsaunt's directions. That was fabulous!
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

We were in St John for 17 days in Jan and I cooked every other night. Besides what was mentioned I brought vacuum packed salmon and rice, frozen shrimp, Polish sausage. Leftover salmon became a salmon omelet in the morning.

I loved eating out but also enjoyed the nights we cooked in.
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

I always cook 3 pounds of bacon before we leave and freeze it in a gallon freezer bag. When we get to the villa I put it in the fridge and it's great microwaved for 30 seconds for breakfast, bacon cheese burgers and blts. I hate cleaning up after cooking bacon especially on vacation.
Can you tell we give no thought to health eating on vacation?
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Jo Ann-
I love this here bacon idea of yours!!!
Hopefully we'll run into you on STJ in April.
Smiles-
MJ
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Our favorite villa meal is to marinate pork chops in a marinade made from:
- fresh squeezed lime juice
- olive oil
- lots of chopped garlic
- sliced white onion
- Cruz Bay Grill Rub
We make the marinade in the evening, put the chops in and let them marinate until the next evening when we grill them. So yummy. That CBGR is such a wonderful "secret ingredient".

Other easy favorites are carry-out from Sogos, rotisserie chicken and side dishes from Starfish.