horror show, conclusion....

Travel discussion for St. John
overman

horror show, conclusion....

Post by overman »

two years ago snorkeling at haulover south i lost my water wallet which was holding my credit cards, drivers license, cash, and the computer chip key to the jeep.

we were screwed.

when i got back to shore exhaused from looking for it i approached a group of folks with kayaks... (ironically the people i didn't trust to leave my stuff near on the beach)

these sweet midwest people mobilized all their boats and all of us looked for an hour to no avail...then get this, they say take our jeep and here's $50 bucks to get you back to cruz bay for a new jeep key... wow...they said 'we're at the round house up on the hill, so just bring the jeep back when you've sorted it out.

life savers. so many lessons learned that day.

...well to make a long story longer, i got a phone call a few months back from a mr sweeney from jim thorpe pennsylvania who said he had the dam thing...his group had just finished the down part of the reef bay trail and were chillin in the bay. he sent the entire contents back to me even though all but the cash and the water wallet was worthless, and even though the contents were in pristine condition i was mad at the wallet...plus i wish he had just kept the cash.

so if you are ever in jim thorpe pennsylvania stop in for a river raft ride with the sweeneys

gotta love that stjohn carma.
oman.
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

cool!!! my dad lives right next to jim thorpe. my sis knows the sweeney's I think her and hubby went white water rafting with them.....I will have to ask her.

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

So, it took nearly two years for the wallet to wash ashore, and it made itself from Haulover to Reef Bay? Did I get that right? That's amazing!
And I thank you for sharing a story about the goodness of the human race. I'm a believer.

Lovermont
overman

Post by overman »

is spelling karma wrong bad karma?...sh!t..and i wonder why i lose stuff
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

What a neat story.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Groovy,with added
Smiles-
MJ
Illyse

Post by Illyse »

What a terrific story and a great way to begin my day. We all need to learn to "pay it forward". Thanks for sharing!
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Lovermont wrote:So, it took nearly two years for the wallet to wash ashore, and it made itself from Haulover to Reef Bay? Did I get that right? That's amazing!

Lovermont
Yes absolutely amazing, that wallet took quite a trip! Great story!
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

nice to know there is still wonderful people in the world. This is the kind of stories need to hear on the news, not all the horrors we hear....

and goes to show you how small this world can really be.
No ticker anymore. Next vac will prob. be the Fl Keys.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Wow! Amazing that it ever resurfaced!

We've experienced similar kindness from strangers when we had lost some of our stuff last year. Gotta love people!
Connie

Post by Connie »

Great story. Jim Thorpe (the town) is so cute!!

We'll be sure to stop by and say hi when we're there.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Great story!!! Love to hear about good people doing the right thing!
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Wow! That's a great story!!!
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

Excellent! What goes around comes around (aka Karma). Mr. Sweeney is a good man!
~Brenda~
toes in the sand

Re: horror show, conclusion....

Post by toes in the sand »

overman wrote: i approached a group of folks with kayaks... (ironically the people i didn't trust to leave my stuff near on the beach)

these sweet midwest people mobilized all their boats and all of us looked for an hour to no avail...then get this, they say take our jeep and here's $50 bucks to get you back to cruz bay for a new jeep key... wow...they said 'we're at the round house up on the hill, so just bring the jeep back when you've sorted it out.
oman.
I had a similar experience this year but it did not take 2 years for my wallet to turn up. The person who found it also returned it to me with everything in it including the cash (minus the postage) I too wish she would've kept the cash. I sent her a finders fee that should be enough for a rountrip ferry ride and taxi fare to Leinster (she lives on STT). The really, really heartwarming part of your story is the group that lent you their jeep and $50 to sort out your jeep key problems. What a lifesaver.
Good things happen on StJ.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"