Question about infants in STT taxis

Travel discussion for St. John
alw1977

Question about infants in STT taxis

Post by alw1977 »

Please forgive my new parent stupidity. When you arrive on STT with an infant and you plan on renting a car seat from someone on STJ, what do you do from the airport to the ferry? Just take your chances and hold the baby? Or, do people mostly bring their own car seats (ugh, sounds like a nightmare for my formerly carry-on only self, though I'll do it if need be).
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I never brought a carseat. With small babies we just held them and with the booster sized kid we just buckled her in. We do rent a carseat on STJ.

Christy's will deliver to your rental car co if you go with them.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

you hang them over the side like Michael did :lol:

13 years ago our 9 mth old was in my arms for the cab trip
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We bring a seat as he was always in his own seat on the plane anyway. (I would have gate checked at seat even if he was on my lap.)
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Call Rachel Brown 340-771-2986. I believe she has grandchildren so maybe she might be able to borrow an infant seat for your ride. If not, she can give you suggestions. She's a very nice, reliable taxi driver.
Knolmom

Car seats and Taxi's

Post by Knolmom »

The cattle car taxi's at the St Thomas airport will not allow you to intall a car seat even if you had one on the plane. We just went through a difficult scene last week with a fellow who was insisting on installing a seat and both the driver and the dispatcher said no way--they were intent on packing all the cabs with 11 people. They told him to call a private cab. I have made in excess of 30 trips through STT and these taxi drivers are really getting out of hand, both at the airport and at the cruise dock.

Suggest you just plan ahead to hire a private cab--Judy Wheatly, Freddie Lettisome or others recommended here on the board. Were I going all the way to Red Hook, with the way these guys drive, I would not want to ride in the regular taxi holding an infant or toddler. I might chance it to the downtown ferry but that's as far as I would go.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

To add to Knolmom's post, we used a private taxi, Christopher. Rachel gets rave reviews also.
melmd

Post by melmd »

We held our DD last time and plan on doing so with the new little one. It's a scary ride for sure!