House suggestions for large group

Travel discussion for St. John
NCSue

House suggestions for large group

Post by NCSue »

We need help! We are a group of 9 for the first week in Jul and 11 for the second week of July. I am having trouble finding a house big enough that we can all afford. Any suggestions???
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Vida de Mar has a nice set up with 5 BR

http://www.vidademar.com/main.html
b-as-u-r

Post by b-as-u-r »

Oceana in Chocolate Hole. We stayed there for one of the SOTB trips.
STJ - I "get it"
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Vistaero would work. It has 5 bedrooms and a huge pool area. It also tends to be reasonably priced.

We have stayed there twice and enjoyed it very much. There are photos on "Pam's" trip reports, posted under the forum name of Pegoode. Her reports are pretty recent...I think the last installment still is on page one of the forum.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Lindy

Vistaero 2009

Post by Lindy »

I stayed with a group of 9 at Visatero this fall a couple weeks before Pegoode's group. We thought that it was a little neglected and more worn than some of the other villas we've rented. It's been listed for sale and had some definite issues with deferred maintainence which are probably related to that. Or it might have been because we were there in early November just as things started to pick up again and we were some of the first ones to notice broken items or things that required attention. Pegood's group didn't have any major rain during their visit but we did and literally had waterfalls running down the walls on the back side of the chimney into two of the bedrooms. One of the downstairs bedrooms where this occurred had a musty smell too - maybe due to the leakage issues. The shower in my room refused to turn off one day - NOT a good thing where water is scarce!(Destination St John sent someone immediately for that one!) Some of the kitchen cabinets had a strong smell - not sure if it was the type of wood used or if it was a result of always being closed in a warm, humid environment but it made us store more food items on the countertops so that they didn't pick up "off" odors or tastes - a minor issue. The hottub did not work the entire time we were there, but I doubt we would have used it much anyway. We're not overly picky people and we understand that not everything will be perfect in the rental villas - just bear in mind that when you purposely seek the low end of the price range for the size that there will be some issues to deal with. Also be aware that you cannot be timid about driving on steep hairpin turns if you stay there. There are two or three of them to navigate as you turn onto Gifft Hill Rd and then several on the road leading to the house. The views from Vistaero ARE priceless though,the pool was great and there was plenty of room for everyone.

Lindy
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

We've stayed at Chateau Margot http://www.islandgetawaysinc.com/chateaumargot.html on Bordeaux Mtn and loved this house for a large group. We love this location as you are minutes from Coral Bay or the northshore road. If you feel that you really must be closer to Cruz Bay (it's only about 15 minutes to town) it may not suit you but we loved it. The main house has a HUGE master bedroom and two other bedrooms (queen beds I think) and these 2 bedrooms share a bath. That's the only down side of this house IMHO and there wasn't an outdoor dining table (they may have one by now as were were there 3 years ago). The guest house has 2 bedrooms, one above the other and the Cottage is a cute little building off on it's own with a king bed and a kitchenette. PM me if you have questions.
byado18

Post by byado18 »

I'll second Vida de Mar....it is wonderful with 5 bedroom pods that each have their own private bath. I am not sure where the 11th person would go....but there is lots of room in the Hibiscus Cottage for a rollaway...it depends on the configuration of the group.... I just posted a review last last week....PM me with any questions....

We absolutely LOVED this villa!
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

Take a look at Eden's Whim. It's a beautiful 5 bedroom home with plenty of room to spread out and plenty of places to come together... We stayed there 5 years ago with 4 other couples and it was perfect.
sqd

Post by sqd »

Cset Blue villa in virgin Grand Estates is Awesome! you can find in on St. John Ultimate villas site....
benchill

Post by benchill »

What is the budget?
Can't beat C'est Bleu if it is within budget.
Ben and Lynn
wonderlost

Post by wonderlost »

Starlit Escape is 5 bedrooms with a pool and probably the most affordable for a house that size. PM me if you want details
pegoode

Post by pegoode »

RE: Vistaero sleeping arrangements - there is one King and 4 Queen rooms so if your head count includes singles (who wish to remain so) then you'll need something larger. Some of the bedrooms had couches that were advertised as being pull outs but we never checked it out. There is also a comfy sofa in the living room. The place below us looked really nice - I think someone here said that is called Tesori? Not sure how the price compares but I think it's newer. We did love Vistaero but it was our first trip so we don't have anything to compare it to. Enjoy St. John, we sure did!
Pam

[/url]
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

John and I rented Vida de Mar last June. It would definitely work as long as there are no kids in the mix. None of the bedrooms are connected to any other part of the house, so you would need to have teens or just adults. This house has a terific pool. It's HUGE for St. John.

One caveat: the great room is a little small for the number of bedrooms in the villa setup. There is not enough seating for each person if you are renting for a large group. We had one rainy villa gravity day and the two of us stretched out over all of the available great room seating!

If you pick this house pm me and I will tell you the best bedroom. :wink:
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
suzanna945

Post by suzanna945 »

I recommend La Papaya.

We've stayed at La Papaya in upper Chocolate Hole twice and think it's just wonderful. Five bedrooms, four baths, huge great room, wonderfully equipped kitchen, awesome pool, spacious upper and lower decks with both sunny and shady areas, breathtaking views....and PRIVACY. There's a lot of room to spread out even if you are traveling with a big group.

We were completely at home there, very comfortable, and didn't want for anything. It's roomy, private, completely equipped with anything you could possibly want.....can't recommend this place highly enough.

Thinking about it makes me ache to be there RIGHT NOW, as I'm up to my knees in New England snow!!!!

Here are some links to a couple pages of my trip reports with some photos I took at the villa, and also to the La Papaya website where you can check out availability.

2009 Trip

2007 Trip

La Papaya
SS in NC

Post by SS in NC »

Hi Sue,

I'll second Oceana. We stayed across the street at Bijou while a gaggle of friends stayed at Oceana. Lots of space and a (smallish) pool, I think there may have been a hot tub (but I drank alot on that trip). I digress... very nice patio area and the bedrooms are seperated. Open kitchen and "main" area. Good parking area in driveway, easy into and out of also. Hope that helps.

All the best!
Scott