New Trail to Jumbie Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
John LMBZ06

New Trail to Jumbie Bay

Post by John LMBZ06 »

This is taken from the Tradewinds. They have some pictures posted of what they did. I have been there when we were the only couple there for hours at a time, maybe not anymore.

Getting to Jumbie Beach is now a whole lot safer thanks to V.I. National Park Volunteer Coordinator Jeff Chabot and his crew, who cut a new trail last week from the North Shore Road adjacent to the Jumbie parking area all the way down to the beach.

Previous access required beachgoers to park on the south side of North Shore Road, cross the street and then and walk along the road to the steps leading down to the beach. The new trail head is now directly across the street from the Jumbie parking area, and offers a slope gentle enough for even strollers to traverse.

Jumbie was identified by the VINP’s Safety Committee as an area that needed attention, explained committee chairperson Christy McManus.

“We organized the safety committee last year and evaluated all the visitor sites in the park for safety hazards and potential problems and solution,” said McManus. “It was just very obvious going down there that walking from the parking lot to the stairs, where traffic travels so fast, was just so extremely dangerous.”

The old stairs leading down to Jumbie will eventually be removed, and while the new trail is not yet marked, it’s “very obvious,” according to McManus. A rock wall lines the entire length of the trail.

“This was a real natural solution to make the beach safer and more accessible,” she said. “The volunteers worked so hard, surpassing anything I had imagined. I was just really blown away.”

The Safety Committee continues to keep the VINP safe for visitors by keeping up with maintenance and ensuring good visibility on roadways by cutting back vegetation.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I wish they'd had that trail this summer when we brought our 4-year old. Sounds like a great improvement.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

It is a HUGE improvement! Gentle slope, directly across from the 4 car parking spot! Been down there twice this trip, scored parking both times we wanted to visit. Why the steps were ever built in relationship to where the parking is has always been strange. Glad to read the steps will be removed.
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

Thanks for that info Frisco!!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I think this will be helpful for some folks.

Although I never felt unsafe walking up the road a few feet to get to the stairs.

Now if they could just install an escalator at Salt Pond I'd be REALLY happy.... :lol: 8)
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Good idea Gromit but nope, still no escalator at SAlt Pond...we did that climb today. Our first visit to Salt Pond of many that the water was not very clear, kind of disappointing snorkeling, but the hike out to Ram Head was stellar! So another GOOD day here on St John...hope all is good for you as we get ready to leave and you head down this way! Safe travels!
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

Getting a parking space for Jumbie may now become as hard as it is for Oppenheimer. I have only lucked out twice getting one for Oppenheimer. I guess I need to start getting out a little earlier.

Carolyn - I have never done the Ram's Head trail but will not miss it next time. It is on my "must do" next trip. How long did it take you?
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Funny you should ask...hubby timed some of it and it took 45 minutes out and 35 back. The difference is how many pix's I took out and back. It is one mile from the trail head. When we get home I will post specifics including those photos. I'm down to one more full day here ... ugh ...been a great trip!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Carolyn wrote:Funny you should ask...hubby timed some of it and it took 45 minutes out and 35 back. The difference is how many pix's I took out and back. It is one mile from the trail head. When we get home I will post specifics including those photos. I'm down to one more full day here ... ugh ...been a great trip!
Wow, you guys must have been really hiking. We kind of strolled it and it took a good hour each way (lots of picks).

John - here's my Ram Head report from a couple of weeks ago. Definitely a must do.
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... drink+tour
janet
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

Jayseadee - thanks for the link. I think I will try this earlier in the day and then steal the idea of heading to the "Trap" for lunch.
hugo

Post by hugo »

The answer to why the stairs were so far from the parking lot: They were there first, for years, with no parking lot at all. The lot was built in 1988, as close to the stairs as they could reasonably put it, i.e. on the flatish area.
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Thanks hugo...that makes sense.

Today it looks like they have blocked the steps and are beginning to remove them.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I can report that the new trail to Jumbie is in place and the old one has caution tape across it and they appear to have torn it up.

AT least that's what I could spot from the taxi we took from Cruz bay out to Francis to meet the boat after a day of shopping.

Ch....Ch.... Ch.... Changes......
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

I took a couple of photos of the new path last Tuesday, the same day that my camera died an early death at Maho. I have since been unable to retrieve said photos, but if I am able to do so in the near future, I'll post them.

Lovermont
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Since my trip report is on hold til after the holidays I dug up these pixs I took just 2 short weeks ago...

next 2 are along the path...

and new tree soon come...