Getting to Soggy Dollar when you can't swim, any ideas?

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Getting to Soggy Dollar when you can't swim, any ideas?

Post by PA Girl »

OK useful minds, I need help.

For our Feb trip, we intended to book a day trip on cat to take us to White Bay. Turns out, the boat we booked is no longer going to Jost (C & I issues)

We have a group of 9 that includes some non/weak-swimmers.

The last time we went to White Bay, it was a real struggle for the non-swimmers. They can swim, in a pool.....or paddling around the beach.....

The boat to beach and beach to boat swim was very hard for them. My husband had to go back and tow one of the women to the boat. The upcoming trip includes two newbies so I don't know what to expect of them.

The cat trip would have included a dingny to ferry in the non-swimmers.

What I am looking for is a large sail boat(1st choice) or power boat(2nd choise)that has a dingy.

Any ideas?

We could take the ferry and taxi over but we would prefer the full charter experience, especially because for the newbies it might be the one and only trip to STJ & White Bay.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
AH

Post by AH »

Bring some swim noodles. You can purchase them on STJ.
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

I was thinking noodles as well. That is how I would get my son around before he could swim. As long as people can kick, the noodle will float them enough and give the enough confidence/security while they kick to the beach. You can also ask the captain to bring the boat in close enough to let people off/pick them up, before he anchors out.
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

I can't swim a lick and I used a noodle to get to shore from the boat at the Baths. It took me longer than anyone else but I made it! I also rent a float belt while on island and you could use that too.

The times I have been to White Bay the boat was close enough that the water was only waist deep so I didn't have any issues there.

Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am going to throw these ideas out to the non/weak swimmers and let them decide if they think it will work.

I think the noodles might work for them. The one woman really should have had a vest on last time and I think she will be more mindful this time.

No doubt a day of power drinking played into last trip's err,....problems.
linne

Post by linne »

Talk about noodles always reminds me of this one

http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum ... ight=linne

Linne
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

That picture still makes me laugh!

I am going to print it off and show it to them.

Part of the group got on the phone yesterday and said not to worry about it, now that they know what to expect they will use the jackets and paddle their way in.
BillyD

Post by BillyD »

AH wrote:Bring some swim noodles. You can purchase them on STJ.
This brought a smile to my face in that we once launched a multi-hour mission to purchase a noodle on STJ for our daughter which proved unfruitful (give or take 5 years ago). Not only didn't we find one but had some fascinating conversations with store employees trying to describe what it was we were looking for.....no, not pasta, kinda a floating tube-shaped thing....no not a snorkle....
rebelbeachgirl

Post by rebelbeachgirl »

My husband cannot swim, but we went over to Jost with Lion in da Sun. Josh dropped us off at Soggy Dollar in about three feet of water. No problems at all! Our friend who got off first did have some fun with him though. He stepped off and dropped to his knees to make it look like it was over his head. Scared my poor hubby to death for a second, but the look on his face was priceless. Shook him up so badly that he HAD to order an extra Painkiller! LOL :wink:
KTinTX

A more common use of a noodle at White Bay

Post by KTinTX »

this is probably a more common use of a "swim noodle" on catamarans in White Bay after indulging in more than a few painkillers.

Noodles: Not just your average flotation device...it's a multitasker.

[img]<a%20href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/34283698@N ... 20Bay"></a>[/img]
KT
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Now I am wondering why we were anchored so far out last time?

I remember the swim being long and at the time, I was swimming laps 3x per week for at least and hour at a time so if I thought it was long....

It was crowded that day but it was cruise ship traffic, not lots of individual boats. Maybe someone was anchored foolishly and we couldn't get close?

I am booking marking some ideas for boats to send out to our group. We liked Born To Rhumb for day trips but that Cinnamon Bay looks interesting....