Any killer recipes for Christmas cookies out there?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Lindy

Any killer recipes for Christmas cookies out there?

Post by Lindy »

I'm starting my annual baking frenzy. I make at least 6 huge sheet trays of cookies for my husband's church sale. Does anyone have any really good recipes that make huge batches? I like to make things that a little more sophisticated...the pretty little cookies, not chocolate chip or plain jane things that you can have any time during the year. I'm willing to fuss over them a little but can't get too overly slowed down with piping frosting etc. I'm always looking for something new and interesting. Thanks!
sherban

Post by sherban »

These arean't really Christmas cookies "per -se" but...my two faves are
Vianeese crescent cookies and lace cookies.

Both in the Fanny Farmer cookbook...

I love them cause my momma made em for me when I was young! I make them with my kids every Christmas...
Connie

Post by Connie »

OH YEAH! I have one, but i'm not in a place to give you the recipe yet.

I actually kept it secret for 3 years from my co-workers because I didn't want them to know :D

They're chewy and they're the best cookies I've ever eaten. Just amazing.

Tomorrow!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Lindy

Thanks Connie....can't wait!

Post by Lindy »

I love that kind of recipe. Here's a "cheat" recipe that I make and I get more compliments on than most scratch recipes.

Take Pillsbury chocolate chip dough (use the one in the blue wrapper, not the Nestle's Tollhouse dough) and roll it into generous walnut-sized balls. (Biger than the directions tell you.) Roll in chopped pecans and flatten them slightly when you put them onto a cookie sheet. Adjust the baking time so that you take them out just as they start to brown on the edges, but are still soft in the middle. Having the pecans on the outside allows them to "toast" in the oven and underbaking them slightly makes them soft and chewy. These are the best chocolate chip cookies ever. I told my mother (in her 80's) how to do this and she bakes them for her Senior Citizen wingdings and all her friends ask for the recipe. She tells them it's a family secret....hahahaha!! Go Mom!
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Connie I am looking forward to it!

Lindy I am going to add that cookie to my cookie list! Do you have any more recipes that you want to share?? The cookies I bake are very traditional. I literally ask my family what they want and normally they want scotcharoos, peanut butter cookies, cut out cookies, and snickerdoodles. I make killer fudge--I have been asked for the recipe many times and finally gave it out. It is called 4 chip fudge and really that is all it is with the exception of vanilla, almond extract, and marshmallow cream.

My Grandma use to make these every year. Her rotten piggy grandchildren (me) would eat them by the bowl full. She never complained but now that I make them I realize they are a bit of work (I feel like I am slicing them forever). They are a german cookie and I know I am spelling it like it sounds (hooked on phonics) . . . but it is spelled differently.

PETITE PEPPERNUTS
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. shortening
1 egg
1/2 c. light molasses
3 drops anise oil
1 tbsp. hot water
3 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper (I don't use this)

Mix brown sugar, shortening, eggs, molasses, anise oil and water. Stir in remaining ingredients. Knead dough until right consistency for molding. Shape dough into rolls (ropes), 1/2 inch in diameter. Wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut rolls into 1/8 to 1/4-inch slices; place slightly apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until set and golden brown on bottoms, about 9 minutes. Store in airtight container. About 35 dozen cookies.

Sherban: is this the recipe?
Viennese Crescent Cookies

SERVES 48 , 48 cookies

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter
1 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

Directions
1 in a mixing bowl, combine flour, butter, nuts, confectioners' sugar, salt, and vanilla. hand mix until roughly blended.
2 shape dough into a ball, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3 preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4 remove dough from fridge and form into 1 inch balls. shape each ball into a small log, about 3 inches long. place rolls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet, curving each one into a crescent.
5 bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies are set but not brown.
6 let sit 1 minute, then remove from cookie sheet. place cookies on aluminum foil, then dust with 1 cup of sugar.
7 store in an airtight container, then dust with remaining sugar just before serving.
Lindy

Thanks XOXO

Post by Lindy »

Ahhh, Pfefferneuse! I lived in Milwaukee for a long time before moving to Connecticut. Lots of German influence there still.

Are you looking for any specific type of cookie? I make so many that it's hard picking just one. I do have a recipe for Salted Nut Bars that a friend's mother dubbed "Mortal Sin on a Plate"....she was 90 years old at the time so that totally cracked me up.
Hooray for anyone who can worry about mortal sins at that age!

Salted Nut Bars

Crust: 1 1/2 C flour
1/2 C butter
3/4 C sugar
Combine above ingredients and pat in greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 min.

Melt until smooth:
6 oz butterscotch chips
1/2 C light Karo syrup
2 TBSP butter
1 TBSP water

Pour over baked crust. Sprinkle 12 oz of coarsely chopped mixed nuts on top. Bake 10 min more. Cut while warm but after the syrup "sets up". I have to triple and quadruple this during the holidays.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Lindy, my best friend's mother, also from Milwaukee, used to make a bar cookie called "Coffee Toffee Bars" that was to die for. Unfortunately, the recipe died with her. Have you ever heard of them?
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

No, never heard of Coffee Toffee Bars. I used to make something called Toffee Bars years ago that were graham crackers with a mixture of Grape Nuts and a sugar syrup poured over them and baked so that they got crunchy like toffee. That isn't what you're talking about is it? They sound weird but they were SO good.

There is so much good food in Milwaukee!! I used to get the best darned recipes out of the newspaper when we lived there. They used to have a feature called the Best Cook on the Block where people would nominate someone they knew and then they'd feature a bunch of their favorite recipes. Each year they'd publish a cook book with all of the year's recipes.
California Girl

Thanks, but I can tell thats not same recipe. This one had chocolate chips, and possibly butterscotch. And somehow there was coffee in there!

Liamsaunt, here on the forum, could win that Best Cook thing every week, hands down. Watch for the recipes she posts here. :D
djmom

Post by djmom »

CG- are they like blonde brownies? sounds sort of like a friend's recipe I have....(and love) They have a toffee like flavor.

Kathy’s White Chocolate Almond Brownies

2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 each egg, lightly beaten
1 cup whole almonds, chopped and toasted
1 cup white chocolate chips

1. combine 1st three ingrediants in bowl, set aside

2. Melt butter over medium-low heat. Add coffee granules, stir till dissolved.

3. Remove from heat. Add brown sugar and eggs, stir well.

4. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Add almonds and whte chocolate, stir well. Batter will be thick.

5. Spread into lightly greased 13 x 9 inch pan.

6. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
California Girl

That sounds pretty close... I'm going to try it and I'll report back! :)

For all I know, my friend's mom made up the recipe!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Hey CG - the coffee toffee bars sounded interesting since I love anything toffee. I googled "coffee toffee bar recipe" and got lots of hits. Then I added Milwaukee to the search and got a hit on a Milwaukee newspaper website that had an article referring to cookies by this name. Here is the link in case this might be the one you are looking for:
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-11384244.html

This is a fun thread. While I hate to cook, I do enjoy baking at this time of year. I am also making large quantities for a church function for the homeless, so I am debating what to make. I need to get off the computer and start baking! :roll:
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

CG - This looks like it might be the one! The picture looks similar to a chocolate chip cookie bar which sounds like what you're describing.

Coffee Toffee Bars
Added by nhsweetcherry on October 27, 2009 in Cookies, Desserts

5.00 Mitt(s) | 3 Rating(s) Loading ...
This is a simple, yummy treat. You can tell because the recipe card is so worn that you can hardly read it anymore! It’s a unique alternative to chocolate chip cookies, with an interesting texture and just a hint of coffee flavoring—not strong enough to turn off non-coffee people like me.

Prep Time 10 Minutes Cook Time 20 Minutes Difficulty Easy Servings System US Metric Update
Ingredients1 cup Soft Butter Or Margarine
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Almond Extract
1 Tablespoon Instant Coffee (Up To 2 Tablespoons For More Flavor)
½ teaspoons Baking Powder
¼ teaspoons Salt
2-½ cups Flour (approximately)
1 cup Chocolate Chips (Up To 2 Cups!)
Preparation Instructions
Cream together the butter and brown sugar.

Blend in the almond extract, instant coffee, baking powder and salt.

Add enough flour to make a stiff dough.

Press into a well-greased 9×13 pan (or a jellyroll pan if you’re doubling it) and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.

Bake at 350 F for 20 to 25 minutes.

Enjoy!
California Girl

Lindy! I think you the nail on the head!! I'm going to make that recipe this weekend. I'll report back!

Thanks for the link B&J, but you had to fill out an online form to get the recipe, so I think I'll try Lindy's first. Thanks though! :D
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Great CG! Let me know how they are. The picture looks scrumptious and any time someone says the recipe card gets worn out you know it's a good one!

Off to mix up some cookie batters to freeze. I think I'll do Italian anise cookies and maybe molasses or peanut butter cookies next. Tomorrow it's on to biscotti, pistachio thumbprints and some sort of chocolate mint cookies. I'd like to do the old fashioned kind that had the thin round chocolate mint inside a cookie made from a batter kinda like tollhouse cookies are made from. I can't find those mints anymore though so I'm going to have to play around with some choc mint chips to see if I can substitue those. If all else fails I suppose I can just make them like choc chip cookies but it's so much more fun to bite into what looks like a plain cookie and find out that it's filled with choc mint! Last year I put blackberry and raspberry jam inside the pistachio thumbprints (in separate cookies, not together in the same one)....wow, was THAT good! I've already made and frozen cookies with strawberry and blueberry jam inside of a batter thats basically a cream cheese pie pastry that you pinch together to make little bundles. Cute! They sorta remind me of tiny little bite sized foldovers. I'll have to brush them with some egg and sprinkle sugar (cinnamon sugar maybe?) over them when I bake them.

Hey Connie - Did you change your mind about sharing your recipe?