Your favorite thing to do on the Cruz Bay side...?

Travel discussion for St. John
St. John Lover

Post by St. John Lover »

"To see the donkey's you are going to have to take a trip to the coral side."

Not at all true! Just go to Caneel anytime from late afternoon to dusk, and you'll not only see the donkeys gathering on the lawn (usually pretty close to the entrance) and/or the deer. In fact, unless my memory is failing, I thought someone here on the forum just recently posted pics of precious fawns--with their spots still brightly on--that they had just recently seen at Caneel.

I've also often seen them jumping across the road around there at about the same time ("them" meaning both donkeys and deer).

I've seen lots of donkeys at Cinnamon and Hawksnest as well. Also we used to see a LOT of mongoose at Trunk & Cinnamon & Hawksnest but not so much lately.

You'll see roosters, chicks, iguanas, lizards, bananaquits, and hummingbirds all over. We once saw peacocks at Lavendar. Don't know if they're around any more....
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

A peacock would be cool! We saw the deer at Caneel but not donkeys. It must have been the timing. We didn't see any donkeys until we got over to the Coral side.

Also, we saw the bull on centerline.

I love St. John! I just saw that time-lapse video and wish I were there.

Have a great trip!

Gina
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

we were lucky to see the big hog and his cow friends near the dump. i had to do a double take the i realized i was on st john and nothing should really shock me.
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

[quote="GinaXOXO"]A peacock would be cool! We saw the deer at Caneel but not donkeys. It must have been the timing. We didn't see any donkeys until we got over to the Coral side.

Also, we saw the bull on centerline.

I love St. John! I just saw that time-lapse video and wish I were there.

Have a great trip!

Gina[/quote

There used to be peacocks over near Frank Bay, when my friend Maryanne owned the B&B and I would train her. There were peacocks. Ruth would know
Ruth.......where are ya?

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

There ought to be a button here to alert Anthony. Sheesh....
Ms.Montana

Post by Ms.Montana »

I PM'd Anthony a while ago.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Yikes... gone. Sorry - dinner time here I was away from the computer for a couple of hours.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Ms.Montana

Post by Ms.Montana »

Thanks!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

No problem, Anthony. Geeez, you're allowed to have a life!!! Could there be a button that, if hit by members enough times, automatically puts a post into time out? Then you could review it and make your decision?
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

mindehankins wrote:Could there be a button that, if hit by members enough times, automatically puts a post into time out?
I don't think you thought that one all the way through :)

Are you following me?
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Rosi,
The peacocks actually lived on Moorehead Point, but I haven't seen them recently. They may still be there but they aren't wandering around the Frank Bay neighborhood as freely as they once did.
Perhaps they don't socialize well with the chickens who have taken over here.

- Ruth
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

StJohnRuth wrote:Rosi,
The peacocks actually lived on Moorehead Point, but I haven't seen them recently. They may still be there but they aren't wandering around the Frank Bay neighborhood as freely as they once did.
Perhaps they don't socialize well with the chickens who have taken over here.

- Ruth
thanks ruth, knew you would know.
the peacocks did not socialize well with maryanne dogs either.....:)

StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Rosi,
I have to be honest with you. I really didn't care for those peacocks on a regular basis at all. They are cool to watch at first because they make a great display, but over time they wear on you.
They're really noisy and obnoxious. When they land on your roof (remember that we lived on Moorehead Point?) they make a huge racket and it's quite alarming. Their voices when they do their bird calls out to each other are quite loud and unpleasant. Plus, they poop all over the place and really just make a general nuisance of themselves.
The novelty definitely wears off after a while.

- Ruth
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

StJohnRuth wrote:Rosi,
I have to be honest with you. I really didn't care for those peacocks on a regular basis at all. They are cool to watch at first because they make a great display, but over time they wear on you.
They're really noisy and obnoxious. When they land on your roof (remember that we lived on Moorehead Point?) they make a huge racket and it's quite alarming. Their voices when they do their bird calls out to each other are quite loud and unpleasant. Plus, they poop all over the place and really just make a general nuisance of themselves.
The novelty definitely wears off after a while.

- Ruth
Maryanne had said the same thing. I guess from afar they are nice.
You used to live on Moorehead Point? Now you are on Frank Bay?