Your favorite thing to do on the Cruz Bay side...?

Travel discussion for St. John
Sun4MySoul

Your favorite thing to do on the Cruz Bay side...?

Post by Sun4MySoul »

Happy Humpday Everyone!

For my upcoming trip, we've decided to stay in Cruz Bay. I'm a Coral Bay Kid and have never stayed in "town" and don't venture to that civilized side of the island very much. :wink:

So help me take advantage of this opportunity. What are your favorite things to do on this side of the island? Snorkel spots, hikes, or Happy Hours....I'm open to all suggestions.... Bring me the knowledge!

Thanks in advance!
madness

Post by madness »

We love the beach bar. We enjoy watching basesall there, oddly, we don't watch it home. We like the banana deck too. Woody's is always packed when we venture there. We usually take a walk to Coconut Coast studios, and I like shopping at Everyting. On the other end I like a browse through the park building. I plan on spending a day checking out the beaches on Caneel - I have to figure out my route. We have hiked to Solomon and Honeymoon. From the Lind point trail, I think. We like the Fish Trap, Cafe Roma, Asolare (but now I'm nervous about eating there) and we loved Compass Rose, but I think they are closed. We have many more places to go - Sogo's, Quiet Mon Pub, etc. We do head out to Coral Bay for a few days.

We leave in 10 days. Maybe we'll see you there! We won't have a car until the 21st. Maybe we'll rent mopeds!
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

S4MS - where will you be staying? As an in-towner for 6 of 8 visits, we usually took advantage of twice a day strolls into town. Morning walks are very interesting with all the local activity and a good spectrum of eats (an ample oppotunity to try the local fare) Missy at I Scream (wharfside) mixes up some pretty good coffee (even the "girly" flavored specials that I prefer) Evenings are great after a day out on the island; you can just head in for a drink, a bite, or a meal. One possible downside (not really :wink: ) is that with all the options within a 15 minute walk, we've cooked in less than 5 times in those 6 years.

Plus... no parking worries!

Have fun!
JT

Post by JT »

I can't be very helpful, as my favorite thing in Cruz Bay is STJ Ruth and Ron. My second favorite thing is the road out of town to Coral Bay!
You'll have a blast though, I'm sure!
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I enjoyed Woody's for a late lunch before the Happy Hour crowd arrived.

Gecko Gazebo is a great little bar in Mongoose Junction. The Tap Room (also in Mongoose Junction) gets raves - I haven't tried it yet.

Like others, I also enjoy early morning strolls through time before things get going. JJ's is a great place for breakfast.

And of course, St. John Spice.
janet
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

Quaffing some cold ones at the Tap Room after a long afternoon on the beach, then picking up ribs at Candi's or Joe's to bring back to the villa....
madness

Post by madness »

Duh - of course St. John Spice, of course.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I have to admit that I'm not a morning person, but the day we got dropped off in Cruz Bay at 6:30 a.m. was a real treat! If you're a morning person, get yourself a cup of coffee and get down to the park and watch the town come awake! It's a real "zen" time. Watch the "local denizens" show up, listen to the taxi drivers discussing local politics and watch the first ferry come in with all the locals from STT going to work on STJ. I never felt more a part of STJ.

I agree that JJ's makes a great breakfast, but didn't someone say recently that Joe's Diner also makes a good breakfast?

Eat at the Banana Deck, shop at Mongoose Junction. Visit the Tap Room, get a sandwich at the Deli Grotto or Sun Dog Cafe, and have a drink at the Gecko Gazebo.

Cruz Bay is a fun little town! :D
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

We love Cruz Bay and can sit at the Beach Bar for hours. I find that most people fall into one category - those who hang out at Woody's and those who hang out at the Beach Bar. Try both and see which you prefer. We like to play the (very old) Trivial Pursuit in between drinking a few painkillers and Mango Ale's and meeting people.

I especially enjoy how Jimmy has nothing but contempt in his heart for me and says "oh, it's YOU again" whenever I pass him at the end of the bar. Good times.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

For our strolls into town we've always enjoyed cocktails at the Balcony at sunset. Lunch or dinner at the Banana Deck, Rhumblines for appetizers. Of course the social atmosphere at the Beach Bar, High Tide when your waiting for friends to come in on the ferry, JJ's for breakfast.

For shopping we always make a visit to ST J Spice and Freebird by the ferry now; the Friends of the Park Store and RL Patton in Mongoose. Sparky's for booze.

A visit to the Nat'l Park building and a hike to Solomon/Honeymoon.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

8) ???meet some new friends for a drink and some Joe's ribs???
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Lime Inn, Cafe Roma....Hercules Pates to name a few. Visit Ruth of course...also...check out Candies Ribs/Chicken stand.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

Hey girl.........
I love JJ's early and sometimes Captn Phil is there.
I love Deli Grotto and Mongoose to get a bite and shop at Caravan Gallery. Also then stop at the Tap Room...think you would love that

Quiet Mon on Fri night and I think also Wed is when Kenny works....have him make you a blackout punch

Go and see Ruth at St John Spice and enjoy a Frank Bay sunset when you walk up to Coconut Coast and then have dinner at Zozo's

Maho big and little are my fav beaches but I love Jumbie and Hawksnest is a must but walk thru Caneel
sooooooo gorgeous.

Rhumblines if open during Oct......

I hike that trail (forget the name) you start at Natl Park Dock and walk towards Caneel and hike up and get such a beautiful view

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

You know us Sun!

There is nothing like starting the day off with an early walk to grab a quick breakfast. See, I do Hike.

Grab the Jeep and head to the beach. Pick one, anyone you want.

Drop jeep off at place and walk down for happy hours and hours and hours and hours. See, I do hike!

Oh yeah, you can grab a bite to eat every now and then. :wink:
Life begins where the land ends!