Best Accomodations...Secret Harbour or Sapphire Beach?

Travel discussion for St. John
Lynwood

Best Accomodations...Secret Harbour or Sapphire Beach?

Post by Lynwood »

I have read many mixed reviews. We want nice accomodations and not run down furniture. Any help would be appreciated
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

As a veteran of many stays at Secret Harbour I can tell you it is def hit or miss. More so a miss. We never stayed at the property because we thought the furnishings would be up to date or modern. We chose it for location, beach and great food onsite. We have never had the luck to get a new unit renovated. I've booked my brother twice and both times he was in a newer unit. Doesn't matter if you ask or not, no guarantees there. Sadly, prices have gone up since new ownership in the past year or so. Prices equal or higher than STJ's. It is going to cost us less to rent a 4 bedroom villa on STJ for a week then 1 or 2 bedroom Condo at Secret Harbor. I do love the place, but fear we won't be back anytime soon. Still recommend it for anybody staying on STT. Only stayed at Sapphire once years ago and it was nice, but then we found Secret Harbour and couldn't compare.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

I have only been to STT 2 times (so far :D ). The first trip we stayed at Secret Harbour (2007) and this year we stayed at Sapphire (rented through VRBO).

If I had to choose based on the room alone and not take either beach into consideration, I would choose Sapphire immediately. Here is my reasoning: At Secret Harbour we did not get to pick our room. We rented a studio, ground floor unit on the beach. Being right on the beach was great. It was a decent room, but kind of tired looking. The pressure in the shower was only so-so. But by far the worst part was that it was not soundproof at all. We could hear every footstep that the people in the unit above us took. They stayed up every night until 2 or 3 in the morning and for whatever reason walked back and forth in the room A LOT. This year we booked Sapphire through VRBO. This gave us the chance to see pics of the room in advance and know which building we were in, etc. The room was bigger and nicer, bigger bathroom and VERY QUIET. We never heard our neighbors 1 time while we were in the room.

If I had to choose based on the beach, that would be more difficult. Secret Harbour has a smaller beach but very peacefull still water and great snorkeling. Sapphire beach is bigger but windier (at times) and also great snorkeling. I do think I enjoyed the Sapphire beach a little more just because I like to people watch and there were more people (yet not crowded by any means).

One other thing I'd like to add is that we did not rent a car for either trip. Secret Harbour always had a taxi available, but those taxi trips do add up quickly. At Sapphire we were able to walk out to the entrance at the main road and easily catch a $1 ride into Red Hook. Then to get back to Sapphire we paid $4 per person for the ride back in a taxi. I know we saved quite a bit that way.
Cyopath

Post by Cyopath »

we stayed at sapphire for one night after being on STJ for a week. we were not pleased at all. it was the second worst hotel experience i have had. dont ask about the first, that was horrible.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Did you think about a private villa
Cyopath

Post by Cyopath »

waterguy wrote:Did you think about a private villa
that is the way to go really, i dont think i will travel any other way.

looking at paris in may, found private villas/apts there too
Connie

Post by Connie »

I've stayed at Sapphire 3 times and we're going back again next April. IF you find a nice condo there, it is definetly one of the best locations and has a beautiful beach. The beach is literally right outside your door and Red Hook is a about a 2 minute drive away.

The reason we rent at Sapphire is because when it's only myself and my husband, it's just more economical. I rented this condo for 888 for 9 nights. Can't beat that.

When there are more people with us, we definetly go for the Villa.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Paola

Post by Paola »

Yes, at Sapphire you get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap, need any more insight? Nothing really great to dine at at Red Hook(visitors keep saying there is)Being here year round h Have to agree that STJ is probaly a better bet. Looked up reviews for Sapphire and they were the worst, but not far from the truth, kinda the trailer park atmosphere.One poster left after 3 hrs. and went to Fishermans reef.
bchbum82

Post by bchbum82 »

My wife and I stayed at Sapphire last September. Excellent beach and snorkeling. The pool bar was closed for off season when we were there. We had an excellent time and unit owner. The owner has a car available to rent w/ the unit, but the car wasnt there the first day. We called the owner, and the owner stopped by the unit and gave us a $100 bill for the trouble(It was only $50 a day to rent the car). The unit was newly renovated on the bottom level. Great back porch views. Free internet. http://www.vrbo.com/111678
c3p1

Post by c3p1 »

I just spent 9 days at Sapphire and this was my first trip to USVI. So I don't have much to compare it too.
However, we loved Sapphire. We did rent through vrbo as well and as mentioned you can see pictures and reviews of units so you already have an idea what you are going to get. I am sure they also have that for secret harbor units as well.
Overall we were happy with the unit. Yes, there was some work going on and the parking lot is gravel, never bothered me. The beach side was in great shape and plenty of space.
As someone noted, it can be windy, but the sand doesn't blow on you. The snorkeling was great, there are other things to do and there is another side of the beach which you can have to yourself.
Both are close to Red Hook for an easy ferry over to St.John.
Someone mentioned you get what you pay for..true, and we had an affordable vacation that we loved!
patti

Post by patti »

bchbum82 wrote:My wife and I stayed at Sapphire last September. Excellent beach and snorkeling. The pool bar was closed for off season when we were there. We had an excellent time and unit owner. The owner has a car available to rent w/ the unit, but the car wasnt there the first day. We called the owner, and the owner stopped by the unit and gave us a $100 bill for the trouble(It was only $50 a day to rent the car). The unit was newly renovated on the bottom level. Great back porch views. Free internet. http://www.vrbo.com/111678
Hubby & I will be staying in this unit @the beginning of November. Our first trip to the USVI. Glad you enjoyed your time @Sapphire! :D
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

I've never stayed at either. But I visited both this year.

That view from Sapphire's beach to STJ & Tortola is really captivating. I could sit on that beach all day, adult beverage in hand, and watch the boat traffic. But the pool/beach bar area was deserted.

Secret Harbor has no similar view (hey! you're looking at Jersey Bay ... you got a problem with dat?) But the snorkeling there is really good. Dive shop onsite, and an active restaurant.

Both are somewhat isolated, although Budget has a rental facility on Sapphire, plus the Safari Bus is available if you want to walk up to the road to get it.

Me? I stayed at Elysian on Cowpet Bay (close to Secret Harbor), and really liked the particular condo we rented there.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Please let's not make this a back and forth between members. The personal comment has been deleted (as have some responses to it), and the user has been warned also. Carry on -
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Connie

Post by Connie »

Have no problem at all with Sapphire at all. We've been there 6 times and our 7th will be next June.

You have to find the right owner that takes pride in their unit.

It's a beautiful beach, with great snorkeling and is close to Red Hook and the ferry.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I read this whole thing this morning and it took me a while to realize the thread was more than a year old.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.