Chiggar Bites

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
greyhoundmom

Chiggar Bites

Post by greyhoundmom »

So baby boy goes into the woods to shoot a friend's new pistol.....comes back covered in bites....any tried and true remedies out there (aside from don't go into the woods to shoot??? :lol:
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Chiggers...guess I should learn how to spell before I post it!
kirk

Post by kirk »

Well back when I was growing up in FLA. we would put clear nail polish over the bites.
ETA: what was he shooting?
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Chiggers - that brings back memories from when I was a kid and used to pick blackberries in the summer. Always got chiggers - so itchy!! Clear nail polish over each one is what we used.
BuddyRock

Post by BuddyRock »

We fill a spray bottle with s SUPER dilluted mix of bleach and water.
Be careful....even dilluted it is still bleach. We stand in the shower and spray as necessary.

I have never experienced any skin irritation or dryness from the bleach/water mix but I do not have sensitive skin.
cass

Post by cass »

I also use the clear nail polish, and it works. Something about smothering the chiggers. I have used the bleach before, and it seems to take the itch away, but I make sure that it is NOT the non-chlorine bleach. That works good on poison ivy also. Basically it's the same as taking a long dip in a swimming pool.
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." -Isak Dinesen
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

I've been walking in the woods and prairies with my camera for a couple of hours a day, and I must have brushed up against a chigger hotel a couple of weeks ago...

They head for places you really don't want to itch in public.

Nail polish took care of them. There is something called Chiggerid but I have never used it.
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Thanks for all the advise! He ended up getting Chiggarid at the drug store. Clear nail polish was my growing up remedy, too. When I told him I'd put OPI Flamingo Pink on them, he immediately went to the store! :lol: