Disappointed with CSA (plus a rant about USAir)

Travel discussion for St. John
petepie

Disappointed with CSA (plus a rant about USAir)

Post by petepie »

Just recently took a trip in May, and was delayed almost 23 hours getting to STT. Although getting there was a nightmare, we congratulated ourselves for buying trip insurance so at least we wouldn't lose money. Our flight into Charlotte was delayed 2 hours, so we missed our connection to STT and USAir rerouted us out of Philadelphia the next morning to arrive in STT almost 23 hours after our original arrival time. We paid for a hotel and food in Philadelphia and lost the cost of the first night of (unoccupied) villa in St. John.

We had CSA insurance -- and thought we were covered. Nope, not completely. CSA's policy states that your "flight" has to be delayed 3-24 hours to get paid for the unused portion of the vacation. We thought that because we landed in STT 23 hours after we were supposed to, that would qualify as a 23 hour trip delay. There is no clear definition of "flight" in their terms and conditions. CSA stated that it meant each actual flight leg you're scheduled to be on, not your total itinerary. Our first flight was delayed 2 hours. The next flight was not delayed -- it went on time but we weren't on it. Because neither flight was delayed by 3 hours or more, we were not reimbursed for the first night at the villa.

So, here are a few tips:

1. Do not fly USAir
2. If you must fly USAir, do not connect through Charlotte. The Caribbean flights leave around noon, and if you miss one, there are no other options later in the day.
3. If you use CSA, read the fine print, read it again, and again, and ask them exactly what a "flight" means -- each actual leg of the trip, or your total travel itinerary.

I've purchased insurance from CSA before, but this was the first time making a claim. Was very disappointed with their response, so will not be using them again.

ugh.
CreativeSuitey

Post by CreativeSuitey »

PetePie, sorry to hear about the CSA merry-go-round. Thanks for a great heads-up!
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I've never bothered to get trip ins. of any kind, but I do have an ill MIL, and was thinking about CSA. Does anyone have a better recommendation??

I'm so sorry you got the shaft. I'm hearing of more and more travelers having the same problems. It seems the chance of arriving on time anymore is dwindling. I HATE TO FLY AND I HATE AIRPORTS EVEN MORE!!! :evil: But what cha gonna do? :?
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

I am sorry to hear that too - especially if you bought it through the forum. I don't know if there is a "better" insurer out there, or just different ones. What happened to petepie stinks, but there have been many raves about CSA here on other occasions.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
pipanale

Re: Disappointed with CSA (plus a rant about USAir)

Post by pipanale »

petepie wrote:
So, here are a few tips:

1. Do not fly USAir
2. If you must fly USAir, do not connect through Charlotte. The Caribbean flights leave around noon, and if you miss one, there are no other options later in the day.
3. If you use CSA, read the fine print, read it again, and again, and ask them exactly what a "flight" means -- each actual leg of the trip, or your total travel itinerary.
I don't want to just pile on, but point 1 is a good one. US Air is evil and, from what I have read, so is CLT. I avoid that airline and airport like the plague.

Sometimes, though, stuff just sucks and this looks like one of those times.
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Sorry to hear of your troubles while traveling. It's not only US Air that experiences these delays. Could've been and has been Delta, American, United, Jet Blue, Spirit, Continental to name just a few. The hub and spoke system that airline travel has evolved into has created this. Also, you were traveling in the soft off season so there is less inventory heading to the Caribbean.

In my decades in travel planning I've heard..."Don't put me on (______ insert an airline name)because I hate them as last time I flew on them they (______insert reason)and they'll never get another penny out of me."

I don't know the details of the travel policy you purchased. Did your policy specifically cover the land portion? Or did you just purchase it to cover your air portion? There are many levels of travel insurance one can buy. I usually recommend one that covers the air and land combined. I would follow up with the insurance company again to get that clarified.

This post isn't to defend US Air. Just maybe to give you a little new prespective. In air travel today everybody is in the same boat. We don't like it but it's a necessary evil.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
mit43

Post by mit43 »

Sorry you had to go through that! I would be very disappointed as well.

However, I think it may have just been one of those random events that happen to every carrier at some point.

We have always flown US Air through Charlotte and never had a delay or cancellation. I have however, heard horror stories that seem to originate from the Philadelphia airport. Lost luggage, delays, etc...
I will not schedule a flight through there. We are fortunate to be able to fly out of a small local airport that is a 30 minute flight to CLT. The flights always leave on time or even early if all the passengers have checked in.

I am going to recheck my CSA so there will be no surprises.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
petepie

Post by petepie »

Thanks for the feedback. Agree we had bad luck, and it could have happened to anyone, just wanted to rant and warn everyone to read their trip insurance policy carefully.

We purchased a standard policy, with trip cancellation, delay, interruption, and missed connection coverages (also had medical etc.). Our bad luck was that we appear to have fallen through a loophole. CSA reimbursed us for our airport overnight stay and expenses, but not the lost villa stay -- we had coverage for that portion of the trip, but only if one of our flights (not our total flight itinerary/trip) had been delayed for 3 hours or more.

I don't know if CSA is any better or worse than another company, I've bought from a few, never made a claim until now. I carefully read the policy before purchasing it, but from now on will call to ask about ambiguous or undefined terms.
turtlegirl

Post by turtlegirl »

Sorry that happened to you, petepie. That is an unfair loophole that CSA has.

Regarding CLT, I find it to be one of the better airports around, it was the originating airport flight that is to be blamed for missing your connecting flight out of CLT, but that's a good point re. the flight times (you can't catch another that day)

I am worried about our US Air flights in January from BOS. I chose connections in PHL, which is a huge, horrible airport but the flight times/connections were good and CHEAP -$129 each way, total $643 for 2.

On the other hand, last January we had what I considered a primo flight- AA non-stop BOS to STT for $697 total (price is way higher this year which is why I booked USair). Anyway, last year's "primo" flights were not so primo. We sat on the runway leaving BOS for almost 2 hours past our departure time for a mechanical problem (missing our planned ferry), and then leaving STT the flight was again delayed almost 2 hours and our "non-stop" flight stopped in SJU to refuel. Once we landed in BOS, there was no ground crew available to get us to the gate so our 4 hour flight time turned into almost 8 hours, so even non-stops can be nightmares, although we did not miss a full day of vac. as you did.

It's always a guessing game as to which flight to choose, and the best laid plans...
turtlegirl

Post by turtlegirl »

Okay, now you've got me going and thanks for your observation cause I will look at this for future trips...BOS-PHL, there are no later flights after 10 am out of PHL, so if you miss your connection, it's wait til the next day, whereas if we connected in CLT, there is another flight later in the day. So for the winter, it's opposite of what you said for CLT but you raised a really good point.

Also, from the Northeast it's probably better to connect in CLT rather than through LGA or PHL cause once you're out of the NE, you should be out of the weather...
mit43

Post by mit43 »

My wife and I always have our little talk before we leave and it goes something like this.

" Ok, if anything goes wrong, we will not let it upset us. We will just go with the flow and enjoy our time together no matter what!"

Then if something does not go according to schedule, we are ok with it.

We expect the worst (bad flights, bad villa, bad jeep, etc..) and then are happy when things turn out great each time. I can't tell you how many times we used to worry because of one or two bad reviews, but then were surprised at how nice things turned out. Even if we get delayed, we will find a way to enjoy ourselves and not let it ruin our trip. Things happen that we have no control over.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

I'm not sure if you've exhausted your appeals with CSA or not. My experience is that most insurers of any stripe will decline a claim at first, hoping you'll just go away and they'll save money. They'll do this even if they know your claim is actually valid. Often, if you're persistent, you'll get them to change their decision and do what they should have done to begin with. Don't go by the first ruling, it's often reversed. Just a thought...