Grocery market info needed

Travel discussion for St. John
awardb

Grocery market info needed

Post by awardb »

Is the new grocery market, supposedly run by the same people that run Dolphin market, open yet? It's supposed to be over by the Westin, "right across the street"? Exact location, anyone? We love the original Dolphin market, and due to the roundabout construction and lack of parking now at Dolphin, thought about buying all our fixin's at the new market, if it's open. We're staying on Gifft Hill Rd., so if it's open and where I think it is, it's a short drive up the scary hill road from there to our villa.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

The new market is open. We never stopped in, but it looks nice with lots of parking and easy access.
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

I suppose you could call the exact location "across the street, just past the bend, toward town". It's tucked into that hillside. That help?
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

The store is indeed open and it's a very nice store with beautiful produce. They weren't all finished putting things together and they hadn't gotten everything priced and marked yet. I'd say they have a little ways to go before their grand opening but they are indeed open for business.
mcdomzal

Post by mcdomzal »

We stopped in last week. I definitely saw people from the Westin walking there. It is really great if your villa is out that way. Very convenient. The prices seemed pretty comparable to Starfish and they had a really good selection. A lot of stuff packed into a pretty small space. They weren't done stocking but I think it will give Starfish a run for its money when they are done.
MCDomzal
awardb

Post by awardb »

OK, from what Carolyn sez, it's very close to Westin, but between Westin and Cruz Bay, NOT past Westin, and on the same road you'd take if going from Cruz Bay to the Westin, correct?

Thanks, all!
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
Pia

Post by Pia »

That is correct - if you are heading from Cruz Bay to the Westin, you go up the hill (Jacobs Ladder) and down the other side (:) ) and it is in the green building on the left hand side of the road called Greenleaf Commons just before the Westin which is on the right of the road (villas on the left) and just before the speed bumps (new addition)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
KTinTX

Post by KTinTX »

I stopped in there last week. We had done our initial shopping at Starfish because we had also wanted to go in Starfish Gourmet for a couple of bottles of wine.

They had a very nice selection of stuff. The produce did look nice, with better brand selection on a lot of things than Starfish. Indeed, they were still marking prices on things, so the checkers had to ask the manager whenever they got one that wasn't. It might be because they aren't fully operational, but their weakest point was the meat selection. Granted, it was very late in the day when I stopped, but they had virtually nothing in the way of beef, chicken, or fish that day.

Other than the meat, a nice store with what looked to be average pricing and it was easier to get into than Starfish. A very nice beer and wine selection, too.
KT
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

We were in that market yesterday and I'll be heading back that way in a few minutes to pick up some more things.

Pia described the location perfectly. You really can't miss it, large parking lot directly on the road, right next to the apratment complex that is near the Westin entrance.

I agree with all that commented on the produce, nice selection and it was fresh. It had everything we wanted other than fresh bakery goods, or if they had them I missed them.

Overall a nice store and very friendly employees.
mickyb

Post by mickyb »

The people there are very nice and they have a selection of spirits that can't even be found on STT (i.e.single malt scotches ). Prices are not 'for the Westin customers' and they seem to have pretty good produce. A girl in there said they trying to get 'locals' in.
awardb

Post by awardb »

Thanks to all, we'll now be stopping there our first night on STJ instead of Starfish or the in-town Dolphin Mkt. Pia, thanks for the excellent description of their location, I can almost visualize exactly where it is! Then I should be able to turn left out of their parking lot and continue up Southside Rd. where it heads up to Centerline Rd. and get to Gifft Hill Rd. that way.

Over the last couple of visits to STJ, we gradually came to prefer the selection at Dolphin as compared to Starfish, so hearing of this new market was perfect!

What's the latest on the roundabout project anyway?
AwardB
suzanna945

Post by suzanna945 »

We just returned home on Wednesday from our stay on St. John. We shopped at both Starfish Market AND the new St. John Market. The new market wasn't fully stocked just yet, lacking meats, deli items, and fresh baked goods. It did have a much better wine/beer/liquor selection than Starfish, though, as well as better quality produce. The employees were friendly at both stores, but probably just a bit more so at St. John Market. St. John Market is more conveniently located to anyone staying at the Westin or at villas in the Chocolate Hole area. Parking was never a problem for us at either store. Prices seemed to be about the same.
awardb

Post by awardb »

2 more questions - does anyone know what time the new St. John Market closes in the evening? And would anyone hazard a guess if they'll be fully up and running, with meats, bread, etc. by July 20th?
Thanks, all!
AwardB
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We stopped in our last time on Monday and their produce looked far superior to any of the other places on island.

The alcohol selection was excellent.

Didn't check out the meats.

The people there were EXTREMELY nice and friendly AND the checkout person was EXTREMELY friendly. At Starfish, some of the checkout people don't even talk to you (I am always friendly to everyone not just on STJ) except to tell you the amount of your bill. The rest of the employees at Starfish make up for it though because they are always very nice.

I much prefer the new market to Starfish. Actually, I prefer Pine Peace and Dolphin to Starfish as well. Stafish did have the best meat selection though. You will like the new market. It's also very organized now and neat.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band