Beaches and snorkeling - East End to eastern South Shore

Travel discussion for St. John
DaleAndGreg

Beaches and snorkeling - East End to eastern South Shore

Post by DaleAndGreg »

We are on the brink of our 8th trip to STJ. Over the years, we have become terrible creatures of habit and have homed in on our usual favorites and tend to just go there (Gibney, Maho, Francis, Waterlemon Cay, Salt Pond).

This time we want to make sure we get to the many other beaches/snorkel spots that exist. We are interested in (1) the East End. For example, I know there is mangrove snorkeling, but where exactly? Near Haulover? Any tips on this type of adventure? And even though we have driven past Vie's many times, we've never stopped. Should we? Anyplace else out that way?

(2) Driving out of Coral Bay toward and beyond Salt Pond... Kiddle Bay? Lameshur? Grootpan? Where are these exactly and what are they like? We like to swim, snorkel and just poke around in tidepools, etc. We don't need to do a lot of sunbathing so tons of sand isn't necessary. Maybe just a little patch, but rocky doesn't bother us too much.

Thanks for any advice!!

PS - I am also going to post this on another forum, so if you see this there, I apologize for the repeat!
54b

One idea...

Post by 54b »

By no means an expert on snorkeling STJ, but my wife and I did enjoy exploring the left side of Little Lameshur on out and around Yawzi Point...the chop can get pretty good at the tip of the point, but other than that it was a cakewalk.

Lots of little coves to explore and tons of fish...

As far as south shore, I've heard good things about the right side of Hart Bay around the point to Devers, but we never did it because the surf was always really choppy while we were there.

One other on on the North Shore you might try is Denis...you park at Peace Hill and about 30 yards up the trail to Peace Hill, you'll see a spur trail to the right. From there it's about a five to ten minute hike down to Denis. There's a cay about 30 yards away from the beachhead and a reef that seems to run all along the beach and drops off about 40 yards out...it helps to be somewhat experienced as most of the time you're swimming about 3 to 4 feet above the coral, but it is a lot of fun and you have no choice but to get up close and personal with the sea life.

Have a good one.

BTW...Waterlemon Cay still by far the best snorkel on STJ that we've done.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
RickG

Post by RickG »

We like Hansen Bay, both from Vie's beach and from the small beach near Penguin rock.

Kiddel & Grootpan are good snorkeling bays with rocky beaches, take the first left after the Salt Pond Bay parking lot. You'll come to Kiddel Bay first and then Grootpan. Be careful of sharp rocks vs. tires and a narrow road to Grootpan with car scratching scrub on the sides.

Haulover North and South are fun.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
jmq

Post by jmq »

I’ve always wanted to go back and snorkel Newfound Bay. We went there with Capt Clark on White Wing in 06 and was really impressed by the reefs that fringe both sides of the entrance to this small bay. The coral was pretty healthy and was teaming with life. Inside the bay were rays and sometimes turtles. Getting there by boat is best. There has been some discussion here in the past of hiking in to do it with I think locals like Hugo and Sloop Jones chiming in, but I don’t recall if anybody here has ever reported out on actually doing that.
If intrigued, use the search function above to pull up those old posts on Newfound.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

On the left side of this website, there are sections for beaches and snorkeling. I just got back a couple of weeks ago and I used this. It tells you about the location and how to get there. It even has pictures. Pretty good resource.

http://seestjohn.com/
islandgirl

Post by islandgirl »

:lol: :lol:

cool John. we have been looking for some different beaches also. We knew they were there but just did not know how to get there. Thanks for the link..very helpful. We will add these beaches to our list. :wink:
lprof

Post by lprof »

(2) try the maps and aerial views from www.trailbandit.org
... no longer a stranger to paradise
DaleAndGreg

Post by DaleAndGreg »

Great info everyone. Thanks!
If anyone has ever tried any of these south shore snorkels personally (Blue Cobblestone at Salt Pond, Kiddel, Grootpan, Yawzi Pt, Lameshur), I'd be happy hear your opinions and tips.
We will definitely try Denis Bay, as suggested. We had walked down some of that path a few years ago but it was late in the day and we didn't know how far it went and we didn't have water with us at that point. But we will try it for sure this year! I mean....NEXT WEEK!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I've done a lot of the snorkels you mention. Blue Cobblestone is one of my all time favorites. it is about a 20 minute hike from Salt Pond on the ram Head trail to the beach. Go in on the right side as you are facing the water amd swim around the rocks, taking time to explore the canyons. Lots of big fish, we have also seen turtles and eagle rays here, and nurse sharks. We typically turn around once you can see Salt Pond beach.

Yawzi is another good one, easy five minute hike on the trail to the spur. Sometimes the current is strong here so watch before getting in. Lots of deep rocks, sponges, unusual fish sightings like spotted drum.

Kiddle is another deep canyon snorkel. I actually think scuba diving here would be ideal. If you can free dive down to look under some of the ledges that will enhance your experience. I remember we found turtles, nurse sharks, a huge pompano, and groupers at Kiddle. Lots of pretty coral and sponges too.

Another cool spot to explore is Tektite, off Great Lameshur Bay. The left side of Great Lameshur to Donkey Bight to Tektite was the most interesting and exciting snorkel that we did this trip. The snorkeling at Little Lameshur is OK, not great in my opinion.

Denis Bay is beautiful, we visited with our gear a couple of years ago but were unsure where to get into the water. If you find anything interesting when you snorkel it, report back!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
baseball0717

Post by baseball0717 »

VIE'S IS A VERY NICE BEACH. MY FAMILY AND I WERE THERE IN JUNE 2008 WE STOPPED AT VIE'S AND HAD THE BEACH ALL
DAY. NO BODY ELSE. MRS. VIE CAME AND TALKED TO US AT THE BEACH.VERY SPECIAL DAY .
Vtgrl

last week snorkels

Post by Vtgrl »

We just got back this week and were going to try Yawzi one day but it was windy and waves were
dangerous. Wait for a very calm day to try it. We decided to try Little Lamshur instead since it's right there as well. It was so choppy that when a wave came up it almost sent one of us into the urchins near the small rock outcropping on the right. Really enjoyed Little Lamshur beach and swimming regardless of not being able to snorkel. The ruins on the right don't get much mention but they're beautiful.Took great photos there. All in all worth a visit on a calm day. A good swimmer could snorkel all the way out to Yawzi on the left side of Little Lamshur.
mickyb

Post by mickyb »

If you get out to Vie's and Pelican Rock, the next beach to the east is Long Bay. That has good snorkling from Pelican out to the boat moorings. And then the far southeast corner has a nice coral ledge in pretty shallow water and then is a great snorkle along that whole side out past several points. Its a beautiful area, too.
54b

Post by 54b »

A few more tips on Denis...the hike from the Peace Hill trail to Denis Beach really isn't very far...it's just that the trees are so dense (and the trail narrow) that it seems long than it is...

Once you come out of the bush, you'll see those chocolate jagged rocks STJ is known for to the left, the cay and the reef right in front of you, and a long narrow beach to the right...at the far right handside of the beach you'll see piers (about 8 or so) jutting in a straight line out to the water like they used to hold up a dock or something. Behind them on the land is private property.

But you can still walk down the beach quite a ways towards that property without tresspassing...there are some great spots to chill and I even found what looks like a Sugar Mill ruin back in the trees.

Anyway, on the right side of the beach not too far from the private property line, the bay becomes all water and sand, no reef. This is where the dinghies come in to drop people off. You swim out and then head left back towards the cay.

Good times...and maybe the lady from the private property will be laying out topless like she was when we were there. Bonus.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
brenda

Post by brenda »

jmq wrote:I’ve always wanted to go back and snorkel Newfound Bay. We went there with Capt Clark on White Wing in 06 and was really impressed by the reefs that fringe both sides of the entrance to this small bay. The coral was pretty healthy and was teaming with life. Inside the bay were rays and sometimes turtles. Getting there by boat is best. There has been some discussion here in the past of hiking in to do it with I think locals like Hugo and Sloop Jones chiming in, but I don’t recall if anybody here has ever reported out on actually doing that.
If intrigued, use the search function above to pull up those old posts on Newfound.
Have you seen this clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=619hCbl9OIk
Going "home" again October 26th!
jmq

Post by jmq »

Thanks Brenda. At about 2:58 of that video you get a sense of the horseshoe shape of the bay and the fringing reefs on both sides. That would be a decent hike and snorkel.

more info here:

http://www.seestjohn.com/trails_newfound.html

Trail map:

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide