Return after 3 years

Travel discussion for St. John
RicknGrace_LI_NY

Return after 3 years

Post by RicknGrace_LI_NY »

It has been 3 years since we were on St. John. Staying again at Villa Colorado. Had a great time last time.

Need advice for a day sail to Tortola. Anybody have anyone special they use?

I know some restaurants closed, one of them Panini Beach which we liked. Banana Deck still open? We are doing ZoZo's. Stone Terrace? Other Cruz Bay restaurants we should do? Don't want to drive too far at night.

TIA for any information

Rick
Rick and Grace Long Island New York
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Panini Beach is now Waterfront Bistro. I have not been but those I traveled with last week went for lunch a loved it.
Stone Terrace closed.
We had dinner at the bar at Zozo's last week and it was excellent!
Enjoy!
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

We dined at Waterfront Bisto on our last visit. Overall, we were happy. The food, while not transcedent was high quality and the environment was very pleasant.

They also make their own ice cream which is huge treat considering the inexplicable dearth of quality ice cream on a tropical island

Someone mentioned to me that no one has figure out how to transport tubs of ice cream efficiently quite yet. Sounds fishy to me, so whoever can figure out how to open a delicious ice cream shop (im talkin' the hard stuff, not just two flavors of soft serve), can make a killing.
Jo&Wally

Post by Jo&Wally »

Hi Rick and Grace on Long island.
We were on STJ last week and had two really great dinners at a new rest "La Plancha" on the second floor of the Marketplace on top of "Starfish Market" It is small rest so if you don't plan to go early call ahead and make a reservation. Being a girl from Douglaston. New York I can't say enough about how great everything was and we did (there was 4 of us)try everything. Thanks to Pia and Julie for the tip
lbrlwyr

Post by lbrlwyr »

We loved Waterfront Bistro last year -- very elegant, great food, but not as "stuffy" (IMO) as Zozo's.

Eric
DnD

Post by DnD »

R&G

Sounds like you have stayed at Villa Colorado before, is there much of a view from the pool area? The pictures make it look pretty grown up which helps with privacy but may limit view.

Did you like the villa?
RicknGrace_LI_NY

DnD We have stayed at Villa Colorado before and we highly recommend it. The Villa is beautiful. The owner is a pleasure to work with. The amenities are very nice.

The view from the pool deck was a bit restricted 3 years ago and I suppose it may still be the same. The trade off is the privacy. The view from the Great Room when those doors are open is really nice. Unless things have changed a lot over the last 3 years the web pictures on the site really do tell the story.
RicknGrace_LI_NY

Any advice on a day sail to Tortola or are we better off taking the Ferry?
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

There are a lot of day sail companies out there. John Brandi comes highly recommended and there are several others.

It depends on what you want to do. If it's just the two of you and you aren't interested in stops along the way, then perhaps the ferry to Tortola is better (just check the schedules) and more cost effective.

The advantage of a day sail charter is you can stop at snorkeling spots along the way but of course this limits your time on Tortola.

So you just need to determine what your goals are for the trip.

Just use the search function on this forum and search for "Day sails" if you want to get a sense of what folks have experienced with the various day charter outfits/companies.

In all honesty I don't recall anyone coming back and saying they had a BAD day charter (at least not recently). There are some that are more popular than others.

Another factor is whether you are interested in being on a sailboat or a power boat. Very different experiences.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
mickyb

Post by mickyb »

Hinds in Cruz Bay is supposed to be very good. That is the same chef as Stone Terrace. Banana Deck is still good.
Do you have a specific reason for going to Tortola? When we vacationed here and asked about going there, some asked 'why would you?' You'll find everything in Tortola here. If it is curiousity, it is kinda cool to go to a different country.