Passport Question (not whether we need one!)

Travel discussion for St. John
lbrlwyr

Passport Question (not whether we need one!)

Post by lbrlwyr »

My wife and I are headed back to STJ on 6/27 and I noticed that my passport is expiring about 2 weeks AFTER we get back.

Has anyone had any problems with customs/immigration with "soon to be expiring" passports? I knew of a friend who had some issues traveling through Europe who had this issue many years ago (presumably b/c they thought he would enter and not leave b/f the passport expired) but I wasn't sure if anyone had any recent experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Eric
Pia

Post by Pia »

You do NOT need a Passport for your trip to the USVI's but if you don't have one do bring a photo ID and Birth Certificate with a raised seal.

As of June 1st you DO need a Passport to re-enter the USVI (USA) if you are visiting the BVI's on a day trip.

Hope this helps

Pia
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I can't remember where I read it but they usually like you to have at least 6 months left on your passport. I know this is the case in general for travel in Europe.

I expect if you are just going to the USVI's on this trip it might not be that critical but if you plan on visiting the BVI's it might very well be an issue.

Oh yeah... I remember now I read this on the State Dept web site.... On the FAQ's page for the State Department web site Answer #10:

If you were 16 or Older when the passport was issued, then your passport is valid for 10 Years.

If you were 15 or Younger when the passport was issued, then your passport is valid for 5 Years.

The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or the front of your Passport Card.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the date of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

If your passport has already expired, you may still be able to renew your passport by mail. See How to Renew My Passport.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/faq/faq_1741.html

Personally I think it's a total gip since they are essentially taking more money from you and cutting 6 months off the value of that passport, but what are you gonna do?

I get why they do it though since most countries are OK with you staying for 6 months without a visa as a visitor.
Last edited by Gromit on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
toes in the sand

Re: Passport Question (not whether we need one!)

Post by toes in the sand »

lbrlwyr wrote:My wife and I are headed back to STJ on 6/27 and I noticed that my passport is expiring about 2 weeks AFTER we get back.

Has anyone had any problems with customs/immigration with "soon to be expiring" passports? I knew of a friend who had some issues traveling through Europe who had this issue many years ago (presumably b/c they thought he would enter and not leave b/f the passport expired) but I wasn't sure if anyone had any recent experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Eric
As Pia pointed out, if you are traveling between the US mainland and USVI you do not need a passport. An expired passport can be accepted as a form of ID if the official wishes to recognize it (TSA, airline agent etc). Upon entering a foreign country the official will usually check your expiration date against your travel plans to make sure that you are not going to stay past your expiration.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

As Gromit suggested, they (the amorphous not exactly known "they") want you to have it for at least 6 months past your return date. That way, if you extend your trip, either voluntarily or involuntarily, it will be valid.

But as everyone suggested, you don't need one for STJ so you will be fine.

And my specific encounter....my wife and went to Mexico and about 3 days before we left she decides to pull out her passport and discovers that it expires the day after the trip. We traveled with it and had no problems except the customs officer on the way back in said "Your passport expires tomorrow". No other mention or notice besides that.

You'll be fine. Don't go to the BVIs if you are concerned, but otherwise, no issues at all.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Gromit wrote:I can't remember where I read it but they usually like you to have at least 6 months left on your passport. I know this is the case in general for travel in Europe.

I expect if you are jsut going to the USVI's on this trip it might not be that critical but if you plan on visiting the BVI's it might very well be an issue.
My husband's had 2 months left on it when we went to the BVI's in February. According to the government website, the passport must have at least 6 months left on it. The rental agency advised us not to risk it. He renewed before we left.
lbrlwyr

Post by lbrlwyr »

Hmmm...was planning a day boat trip to the BVI's and I am a little concerned now. The problem is I am worried if I renew now (even expedited), I may not get my passport back before I leave on the 27th. I know "they" say expedited gets your passport back in 2-3 weeks, but "they" dont have any accountability if they are wrong!

I work in DC, so I am going to see if I can get an appointment with the Passport Office. I understand that if you set up an in-person appointment, you can get your passport back in a week or less.

Thanks!

Eric
lbrlwyr

Post by lbrlwyr »

Pia - I am confused - I thought under the Western Hemisphere initiative (effective June 1) you DO need a passport to return to the U.S.??

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Pia wrote:You do NOT need a Passport for your trip to the USVI's but if you don't have one do bring a photo ID and Birth Certificate with a raised seal.

As of June 1st you DO need a Passport to re-enter the USVI (USA) if you are visiting the BVI's on a day trip.

Hope this helps

Pia
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

lbrlyr-- check the link to the state department web site I posted -- all the info on WHTI is there.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I would think that being able to show them your return reservations that occure before the expiration date would also help clear up any conflicts.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

lbrlwyr

Post by lbrlwyr »

Thanks Gromit -- looks like we will need a passport (or other WHTI compliant document) if we want to get back into the U.S. after June 1st.

Eric

"On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security."

U.S. PASSPORT AND WHTI COMPLIANT DOCUMENTS:

U.S. Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States when traveling via air, land or sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.
The U.S. Passport Card: The passport card is only valid for re-entry into the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.
WHTI-Compliant Travel Documents for U.S. citizen travel via land or sea, as of January 31, 2008:
Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
State Issued Enhanced Driver's License (when available)
Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)
U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business
Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
Form I-872 American Indian Card
Gromit wrote:lbrlyr-- check the link to the state department web site I posted -- all the info on WHTI is there.
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

lbrlwyr wrote:Hmmm...was planning a day boat trip to the BVI's and I am a little concerned now. The problem is I am worried if I renew now (even expedited), I may not get my passport back before I leave on the 27th. I know "they" say expedited gets your passport back in 2-3 weeks, but "they" dont have any accountability if they are wrong!

I work in DC, so I am going to see if I can get an appointment with the Passport Office. I understand that if you set up an in-person appointment, you can get your passport back in a week or less.

Thanks!

Eric
The expedited passports come REALLY quick. You'll pay over double, I think, but its very fast. But I would check it out pronto.
Pia

Post by Pia »

lbrlwyr, you do not need a Passport to return from the USVI's to the States even under the WHTI - I posted a link to the article from the paper that explains things quite clearly but again, you do not need a Passport to return from the USVI's to the States but you do need a Passport to return to the USVI's/States from the BVI's even from a day boat trip to Jost

Pia

http://www.onepaper.com/stjohnvi/?p=1223619050
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Pia-- I think he got that part-- he's planning a day trip to the BVI's so he's gonna need it.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey Gromit,

I guess I got confused when he said in his last post........

"Pia - I am confused - I thought under the Western Hemisphere initiative (effective June 1) you DO need a passport to return to the U.S.??"

but then again I get confused easily :lol: