Which Airline/When Do We Buy Jan. 08 Travel to St. Thomas??

Travel discussion for St. John
mfinn

Which Airline/When Do We Buy Jan. 08 Travel to St. Thomas??

Post by mfinn »

Hi.

I have a group of 14 people, with one infant (6 months old) and one 2-1/2 year old girl that will be flying from St. Louis to St. Thomas, USVI on 1/3/08 (Th) and returning on 1/10/08 (Th).

I am the group leader and have no idea when (how long to wait) to purchase the air and if I should go through a group dept. to purchase it, or try to buy the tickets through a website for the best price.

Does anyone have experience buying air to St. Thomas or can help me with this? What would be the best airline to go with, especially since we are travling with two children?

I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Hi I've been paying mid 300 dollar range out of Chicago I won't fly USAIR any more thru Phily I like AA out of Chicago
patr

Post by patr »

Hi Mfinn,

We live in the STL area. We fly to St Thomas on American Airlines (with layover in Miami), or US Air with layover in Charlotte. We try to avoid the flight that connects in Philly. If I can book a ticket in the $500 range, I consider that a decent fare.

We are going to Chicago to visit our daughter in April for the weekend are are flying out of O'Hare to the island on Spirit. Great Deal - 2 RT tkts for $550 total!!
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I won't fly thru phily any more on us because both of the last times they lost my lugagge and this time it is gone forever also USAIR service thru Phily sucks the employees could care less if you have a concern.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
mountaineer girl

Post by mountaineer girl »

Once we had 28 of us going on a trip together (a cruise out of Ft Lauderdale) and I had AAA to make the flight arrangements (actually ALL the arrangements). I also was the one appointed to take care of the arrangements. Well, I wanted to make sure that all 28 of us were on the same flight, and we wanted a flight with minimun layover. It was just easier to let someone figure all that stuff out - and the price was comparable or slightly lower than doing it myself. Of course, we were flying on a puddle jumper for the first leg (we took up the entire plane!) and so booked early to make sure we could get a flight for all of us at the time we wanted. Flights for 14 won't be as bad, esp. if all your legs of the flight are on larger planes, but I'd still book early, and I liked having someone else to come back on if things didn't suit me.

JMHO!! :)
hawksnestbay

United

Post by hawksnestbay »

Flew 13 from Chicago on United non stop, very satisfied, July 2006. Bought the tickets on www.funjet.com and was very fortunate to get a very low fare. You are flying peak season, so if you see less than $400.00, non stop,IMHO, buy it.
JerseyShoreBill

Post by JerseyShoreBill »

I've flown USAIR & AA numerous times from Philly &
back & had a problem only once(delayed baggage on
USAIR). Just returned last week, but used Spirit for
the first time out of AC(very convenient-30 minutes
away from home). Tix were $325, but best part was
arriving at 2:10(10 min. early). I had the rental car
& baggage in minutes, zipped across the island,
checked into Secret Harbor, got the swim suits on out
of the carry-on bag & was on the beach with a cock-
tail as AA & USAIR were arriving at 3:45 & that 1-1/2
hr. difference makes it feel like you've stolen a day. I'll definitely book Spirit next trip(the new
Airbus planes are very comfortable, also).
STJlvrnSTL

Post by STJlvrnSTL »

We fly down around that time every year and leave from Lambert. We either fly thru MIA on AA or thru ATL on Delta. Fares on both these airlines in the past have dipped in August/Sept. The cheapest we've ever gotten was $450 round trip and we bought those tickets in sept a couple of years ago. I check airfare everyday starting from the first possible day the flights are listed and when I see it go below $600 I normally buy because airfare is so expensive from here to STT that it very rarely gets below 600.
Bluwater

Post by Bluwater »

Jersey Shore, Did you know that USAir has a non-stop from Philly that gets you to STT before noon? They change the departure times around slightly each year..but I think last year's flight got me to STT around 11:15am.... I rented the car and went to LUNCH! ha ha

Your friends arriving from PHL must have been on a later USAir flight. There are usually 2 non-stops each day. They'll sometimes cut that in low season and only have weekend non-stops. Maybe that was when you went last time.

PS. Can't wait to hit the Jersey shore this summer (OC). Do you live there year round?

On the airbus comment. They are pretty quiet planes. I recall reading that they aren't so safe - not as safe as the 700 series jets (747 etc). I once read a thread on a flying message board where a pilot said he wouldn't put his family on an airbus - and several other airline people chimed in with the same. Those comments never left my mind. Though, I'll still fly an airbus. I feel better on the 7 series.
Bluwater
Rob7

Post by Rob7 »

For sure call the group travel desk at your selected airline. They can help not only with tickets, but also with seat assignments.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
JerseyShoreBill

Post by JerseyShoreBill »

Bluwater: I live in Wildwood Crest; AC is very
convenient & parking is 1/2 of Philly's. USAIR runs
a non-stop(which I've taken)during high season(12-15
to 4/15) which arrives at 1:45. The 1-stop arrives
at 3:45. I've never seen the fare for the non-stop
below $450; the 3:45 one-stop I've gotten for $350.
Prior to 9/11, you could book the AA out of PHL,
arriving in SJU at 11:30 & catch the 12:30 Amer.
Eagle flight & be in STT by 1(did it that way in
the 90's a few times & never got delayed long enough
to miss the flight). You can't book connecting flights that close in this day & age. They still run
that Am. Eagle flight if you can get to SJU by 10:30.
Starting to feel like summer here at the shore this
weekend with many prospective renters in town,
checking out properties.