Of course, the walk of shame day was nice

Travel discussion for St. John
PSUWethr

Of course, the walk of shame day was nice

Post by PSUWethr »

Well, finally am back home. Already miss the islands. It was a pretty uneventful trip home. The worst part was the 1 hour and 40 minute wait int he USAirways line. There were three flights all leaveing within 2 hours of each other and I thinwe all got to the airport at the same time. Ours left at 3 and we got to the airport at noon. I just barely had time to grab some juice and change my daughters diaper before we borded. The weather was beautful and I actually got burnt on the downtown ferry. At least I will have some tan. We are already planning our next trip....I think we will go later in the year (July). This is the third trip that the weather and/or bugs were bad in May. I'll take my chances with a hurricane, always wanted to be in the midle of one.

i will post a trip report later on...
off to my own bed!
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Sorry we couldn't just order up the night time down-pours for your trip! You bring up a couple of good points in your post though.
Sunburn on the ferry.... I think most people don't think about that, but it happens all the time. I hate to see people get that on their way to St. John (or on the way out).
Visiting during hurricane season. I know a lot of people would disagree with me, but my favorite time of year on St. John is the very off season. The island has a much different feel to it. I like it best in September up to mid October. There are far less people which makes the beaches nice and quiet. Plenty of parking. Really warm ocean. You also get a better chance to meet locals. When the island is slow, we have more time off work to get out and enjoy the place.
A word about May rain. I never really noticed it much in the past, but I would guess that is because it comes when we really really need it. The locals tend to welcome the May rains. The heavy rains that sometimes hit in October we tend to not like as much. We usually have plenty of water that time of year!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Julie, what you said reminded me of the lyrics Kenny Chesney wrote:

Now he tends bar, at the Old Mango,
And he see's tourists come and go,
With their pressed pants and camera case,
Too much sunburn on their face.

I guess it's true! LOL! :lol:

(except for the pressed pants, I fit the description too!)
Chet

Re: Of course, the walk of shame day was nice

Post by Chet »

PSUWethr wrote:I'll take my chances with a hurricane, always wanted to be in the middle of one.
Be careful what you wish for. :shock:
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I hate to admit it but I always have a bit of an evil giggle when I watch the newbies fight for a seat up top for the long ferry ride from CA to CB.

They're generally white as all get out cause their skin hasn't seen the sun in months. They're just off the plane and haven't taken the time to apply ANY sunscreen.

They also forget that they are approximately 18 degrees off the equator and the sun in the VI is a hell of a lot stronger than whatever they are used to at home.

Sure the view up there is pretty but I'm happy to have an entire bench to myself and AC down below.

Plus I don't get fried right out of the gate on my vacay.

Also while folks are trying not to kill themselves and waiting in line to climb down the stairs, I'm already off the boat and walking to the car rental while hubby waits for the bags.

Just something for newbies to consider....
*Another fine scatterbrained production
PSUWethr

Post by PSUWethr »

I did have the sunscreen on but it seems that 40% DEET bug spray counteracts the sunscreen. So my options I guess were fry or be eaten alive....Unfortunately I was both that day!!!

I have heard that the bugs have died down a little. That is good new for the people this week!
bert

Post by bert »

"I'll take my chances with a hurricane, always wanted to be in the midle of one."

Be careful what you wish for.

Peace.... bert