imaginary trip report

Travel discussion for St. John
teefal

imaginary trip report

Post by teefal »

This one's for all of us, all together on the island at the same time, on a STJ vacation in our minds.
teefal

Post by teefal »

DAY 1 .. Arrival

Travel was an absolute breeze all the way from Newark. The people around us on the plane were interesting and/or quiet, the flight attendants were helpful, the food was like something from the 70s, and our bags were the very first off the carousel. The cab to the ferry was a blast, with all of us laughing as the driver told jokes and stories. The tunes were good.

The iguanas at Red Hook all smiled.

(photo by Bill Stelzer)

Waiting for the ferry, we ran into ... (continue as you like)
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

As we hop out of a cab we look over and see a half naked Matthew McConnaughy wearing only a pair of raggedy, cut off denim shorts, and carrying a set of bongos on his back. In one hand was a duffel bag with a bottle of rum sticking out and in the other was what looked like a ziploc bag of oregano.

Matt was like, "Hey guys. I've got a private yacht waiting for me right here. Can I give you a ride anywhere?"

Well "sure" we say -- "I mean we WERE planning to catch the ferry to STJ. Ever been?"

Matt smiles sheepishly, "No can't say that I have. Welcome aboard we're in for a fun ride. I'll provide the transportation if you provide the destination."

"Of course," he continues "I hope you won't mind sharing the yacht with a few friends of mine...(he gestures toward the aft deck) I'd like you to meet Jimmy Buffett, Eric Clapton and Jack Johnson. They're in the Caribbean doing research on a new collaborative album. Oh, and our chef for the week -- or however long we want to stay -- is Emeril Lagasse."

Matt leans in close and in a hushed voice says, "That whole "bam" shit really bugs me but the man can cook. So we let him hang."

Swiftly the crew grabs our stuff and takes it on board. We settle in for what is probably going to be a pretty amazing afternoon.

As the yacht pulls away from Red Hook the Buffet/Clapton/Johnson trio start to jam a bit with Matt prividing a little back beat on the bongos as we head across the turquoise waters away from St. Thomas and toward peaceful STJ.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
sinawitatanka

Post by sinawitatanka »

Gromit, I just laughed inappropriately loud at work. Good thing my boss is on travel today! Thanks!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I aim to please ;-)
*Another fine scatterbrained production
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

…..THEN
Somehow Boston Mike bumps into Matthew McConnaughy and overboard he goes. I scream “it was a big wave, I swear man”. I just had to do it. Now how could I let Matt talk about my wife’s cousin like that? BAM. Ok, so I jumped in and pulled poor little Matt out of the nice warm water. I apologize to everyone again and blamed it on the darn rum.

As we get midway to Cruz Bay there is some yelling going on. The music stops and there is a dead silence. Its Agent99 yelling from the front of the boat “turn the boat around I left my luggage at the airport”. The entire crowd turns to Agent99 with a wicked look. Then they all look over her shoulder and realize how close they are to Cruz Bay. So close they can see Ruth standing on the dock waiting for us.

Being the good forumites that we are we all agree to turn around and go get Agent99’s luggage. Besides, I don’t think the island is going anywhere fast. We retrieve her luggage and back on the boat and here we are again in the middle looking over at Cruz Bay and just living the way we want to live. Of course, Ruth is still standing there waiting……..

….and then
Life begins where the land ends!
teefal

Post by teefal »

After assuring that Agent99's sons still had their tuba and upright bass in their carry-ons, Teefal asks Buffet, Johnson, Clapton, and still-oddly-wet Matt if they've got any money on them. They confer and announce "several hundred million dollars" as though it were pocket change. I convince them to spend boatloads of cash at every store and restaurant on STJ, starting with St John Spice. Someone asks them if they know Kenny Chesney, and the musicians all say yes.

Johnson gives him a call on his mobile. "Hey, Kenny, I'm on that island you're always talking about." He listens a while. "Wow, you're on SpaceShipOne. Far out. Can you see us now?" He listens. "Yeah, we're coming up to the dock. You got a telescope or something?" He listens. "Oh, the St John Spice Cam ... can you capture the photo for us?" He listens a while longer, says goodbye, and hangs up. Turning to the group on the boat, he says, "Kenny says we can hang at his house. We need some wheels."

Last edited by teefal on Tue May 05, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

Gromit wrote:.....
hahahahaha

Ya'll keep it going!
rebelbeachgirl

Post by rebelbeachgirl »

In my version of the trip report....Kenny would be AT his house...we would all arrive for a nice peaceful week...however he and Matthew would get into a minor argument... over ME (of course). Things don't get too out of hand though...because being true Southern gentlemen...they agree to share! :lol:
teefal

Post by teefal »

So we get to the dock, where Ruth is waiting. "Hey Ruth, it's Teefal, and some other familiar faces." She's happy to see us and we proceed upstairs and buy her entire inventory at double the normal prices. Still-wet Matt takes me aside and says, "Hey we still need a car" and hands me a bag of cash. I walk up to Cool Breezes, flash the cash, and the man behind the glass says, "I have just the thing." After a remarkably short time, he returns with this:

I drive around Powell Park and open the top near St John Spice. "Climb aboard! Who wants to drive?" We all somehow manage to fit comfortably inside.