A/C in villa bedroom

Travel discussion for St. John
jhillss

A/C in villa bedroom

Post by jhillss »

Is a/c in the bebroom essential? We are planning a trip in June and two of the villa's we are considering don't have a/c. The two villa's that we are considering that don't have a/c are Island Time and Casa Ya Ya.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

This is a personal preference. The island gets great trade winds and breezes generally but a lot depends on the house location and how it's constructed.

I generally prefer AC in the Bedroom esp in the summer. That way we keep the mosquito bites to a minimum and if it's cool enough we can opt to open up the windows if we choose.

If you were travelling in December or winter it wouldn't be such a big deal but in summer I feel that it is.

Of course -- you are from NOLA so you're used to heat and high humidity so this may be no big deal to you.

My thing is I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

I have found that there is a lot more breeze in winter than summer and it happens to be a bit cooler in the winter. Also, the closer you are to sea level, the warmer it is and there is less of a breeze as you get to sea level. That said, my wife will NOT stay if they do not have A/C. I have been to St. John all four seasons and we did it once without A/C and that will be the last time we do that. I live in Texas and it gets a lot hotter than it does in St. John, but she still has to have A/C. I bet others will have a different opinion. I know that I would not want to be there in June without it. In fact, we are on the island May 27th to June 2nd and the A/C will be set to 74" every day and night.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I need it :)

Pia
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

Yeah, not really sure how anyone does it anytime of year without ac :roll: Especially in June. Last november we were on STT during a long power outage (30 hours) and it was pretty much unbearable at night. Just a moderate breeze with the nighttime humidity was enough for us to realize we will not be without ac again....unless the power plant blows up again :?
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

No way I'd stay anywhere without ac. I even prefer it in the entire villa, just in case, but that's harder to find. I live in Texas too, and I need my ac any time of year on STJ.
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

Amen to the a/c in the villa!! The villa we stayed at last year & this year has a/c throughout the whole house...so nice!
We would turned the a/c off during the day while we weren't there & turned it back on when we came home. It cooled very quickly & was comfortable at night.
nancyg

Post by nancyg »

We just got back stayed in coral bay and never used the a/c once. I even needed a blanket when we layed in the hammock at night. The breeze was perfect all week.

nancy
CHM

Post by CHM »

For us, it would not be a vacation without AC in the bedrooms.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

HaHa Gromit - we use a/c 24/7 down here in da' swamps :lol: That's the only reason we are used to the heat. When it gets real hot, I avoid going outside at all...don't feel like having to swim in the humidity either. Turned ours on about month or so ago and haven't turned it off since.

Part of the reason we use it so much down here is because of the humidity which is why we always want that option on STJ, but we have only traveled there in the summertime. We have yet to be in a villa there where it wasn't welcome in the bedrooms.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Pia wrote:I need it :)

Pia

Love hearing that from an island girl...I agree with Pia...I need it as well! Just for sleeping purposes...the rest of the villa is not necessary...but definately in the bedrooms!
ihochman

Post by ihochman »

Island Time DOES have a/c. It is truly fully stocked from flat screen to wi fi to a/c
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Aside from the cooling benefits, bedroom a/c's can provide a little "white noise" for those times you might want some :wink: .
RickG

Post by RickG »

Ya, Island Time has a/c in the bedrooms and has aggressive pricing with the new pool added. I like it.

I prefer a fan and open windows. I only use a/c when things get noisy - roosters, goats, donkeys, construction, etc. My lover runs hotter and will occasionally ask for some chill.

I think you'll see some geographic preference trends here. If you live in the heat all year you want to stay cool.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI