Cruz Bay area or Coral Bay area

Travel discussion for St. John
jhillss

Cruz Bay area or Coral Bay area

Post by jhillss »

My wife and I are trying to decide if we would rather stay closer to Cruz Bay or Coral Bay. Will you give us some of the advantages to each? We are not late night people. A typical evening for us will be to eat out and to be back at the villa by 10:00
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I like the Cruz bay side actuly the Chocolat hole great cruz bay area close to town but still quite
bevm

Post by bevm »

Having stayed in both areas we are now strictly Coral Bay people. Quiet, layed back, and low key...
Terry

Post by Terry »

Coral Bay for the scenery and quietness and more of the less busy island feeling. Word of warning there is some construction so choose your villa carefully.
ihochman

Post by ihochman »

I like both sides of the island but I prefer the Cruz Bay side because I like to see the sunset rather than the sunrise. Houses on the Cruz Bay side have the sun
for longer periods of time and if you have a pool it stays warmer on that side of the island. But I have to tell you, I love visiting Coral Bay. I love the restaurants, the beaches and the people. It is more low keyed and less touristy. I'm often conflicted but I always wind up near Cruz Bay, generally Great Cruz Bay or this year we were on Devers Bay..FABULOUS!!!
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

We've done both sides and I can say (for us) in complete honesty - IT DOESN'T MATTER!!

The island is SO accessible that you can stay virtually anywhere and get to the other side pretty quickly.

We have historically stayed on Cruz Bay (just wife and me) but last time stayed in Island Horizons (3 couples). I just don't see a lot of difference for us. We LOVE spending lots of time on beaches during the day, head back to the accomodations for a quick shower and a pre-dinner cocktail, go to a restaurant for dinner then back to the condo/villa by 10pm.

If we go back next year, I'll let my DW decide where to stay because, for me, it just does not matter a bit.

You are going to absolutely LOVE STJ no matter what part of the island you sleep. There's SO much to see and the atmosphere is just incredible. Be confident in your decision because not matter what - you cannot be wrong!

Good Luck! Have Fun!
jhillss

Post by jhillss »

On what part of the island is Devers Bay located? I am not finding it on the map of St. John
ihochman

Post by ihochman »

Devers Bay is near Chocolate Hole on the Cruz Bay side.
You go past the Westin up the big hill then down the big hill make a right and you're there. You have to pass the new Pond Bay house.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Our vote is definitely Coral Bay! Laid back, lots of food selections, groceries, quiet, more of a "country" feel. So convenient to restaurants and bars, NO parking problems and 5 minutes from Francis, Maho, Salt Pond and Lameshur. Last year we didn't even make it to Cruz Bay until we left!!!
mickyb

Post by mickyb »

Just like Lazylane, we loved Coral Bay/East End and never went in to Cruz Bay. We did a couple of beaches and was 'home' and grilling by 3pm or so. Depends on what you would like: a town or a villa.