ISP Help

Travel discussion for St. John
Ron in South Texas

ISP Help

Post by Ron in South Texas »

Our villa only offers a dialup connection to the Internet. Are there any dialup isp's with local access numbers in St John?

Thanks,
Ron in South Texas
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I know there are some out of St. Thomas that register as local calls. If you need the actual numbers I can ask John.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Many years ago, I used to dial up with AOL eith a local number on STJ
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Earthlink http://www.earthlink.net/dialup/

"EarthLink has local access numbers available for the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Remember to check with your local telephone company to make sure the number you dial is a local toll-free call."

http://support.earthlink.net/tutorial/dialup/access/

Hmm - I used to use them in St. Thomas but I can not find a local VI # on their site even though they state the above... maybe someone else can chime in with the access number?
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Ron in South Texas

Post by Ron in South Texas »

Thanks for all your help. I saw that on Earthlink, also. I'll probably sign up before I go and cancel it when I get home. I have high speed at home and I don't have need for a dialup account.

Ron
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
RickG

Post by RickG »

I've been with Earthlink/Mindspring forever and still pay for a dialup account even though I have not used it in years. I ran my villa number through there dialup number finder and came up with no local dialup numbers. Let me know if you find otherwise!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Same with me Rick - I had not used it once since I let St. Thomas in the fall of 05 and finally just cancelled it a couple of months ago. If my DSL goes out for any reason I just run to an Internet cafe or something - keeping the dial up for emergencies isn't so important anymore with WiFi all over the place.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
benchill

Post by benchill »

St. Thomas Mindspring/Earthlink local access number for St. Thomas is 340-777-5511 and is still working. I just connected, albeit slow.

Ben and Lynn Chill
RickG

Post by RickG »

Thanks, that's a great help. I wonder with Earthlink does not list the number on their web site...
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Andrea266

Post by Andrea266 »

Pennswoods is a local company that offers dialup, if you are looking into signing up for just the month that you are here...www.pennswoods.net.