Off-shore snorkeling via sea kayak ??

Travel discussion for St. John
mountaingoat

Off-shore snorkeling via sea kayak ??

Post by mountaingoat »

Has anyone snorkeled Eagle Shoals or Johnson's Reef? I was curious if these sites were reasonable to attempt via sea kayak?
In May of Last year; I did Yawzi, Saltpond, Waterlemon, Mary Point, Peter Bay to Trunk Cay, Brown Bay, & Leinster Point from shore (and kayaked to Whistiling Cay and snorkeled around the entire perimeter).
This year, I want to see new areas and was interested in maybe kayaking to Johnson's Reef & Eagle Shoals and using the mooring buoys to snorkel from the kayak. I've done an Arawak trip through the BVI a few years ago, but didn't have a sit-on-top. I've done a bit of sea-kayak snorkeling off of Jost Van Dyke & Tortola years ago, but nothing this ambitious.
We also want to try Tektite and White Cliffs and maybe Ditliff point from shore. Any input/suggestions/criticisms would be appreciated.
Thank you..
RickG

Post by RickG »

We talked a bit about this over at http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... hp?t=10880

I'm intrigued and think it could go very nicely.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

There are absolutely NO mooring buoys close to Johnson Reef - the yellow buoys are NPS marker buoys and definitely not available for tying a kayak off. The Green buoy is USCG and navigational.
hugo

Post by hugo »

I don't believe Johnson's Reef would be that great a snorkel anyway. Eagle shoal could be great, but maybe a little deep without tanks, as I recall.
What about Carvel Rock, Congo, Lovango, Mingo? All pretty fabulous!
Joshie

Post by Joshie »

hugo

Post by hugo »

I believe that's one of the reasons the snorkeling is not so hot---all the large and small boats that ram that reef regularly. Some St. John surfers get towed out to ride the winter breakers, if they don't have time to get to Tortola.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

We did Ditliff two weeks ago and it was one of the best snorkels of our week. We went out to the point first and then cut across the middle to the other side. If you are there one of the neat things is the sound the beach makes when the tide goes out. The entry point to the wateris all rocks and when the water goes out thousnads of rocks roll backwards and makes a noise unlike any I have ever heard.
psufan

Post by psufan »

Hoosierdaddy, we stayed in Orchid Villa a few years ago. Loved the sound of those rocks in the surf. We could hear it from the deck. Really cool sound when you are in the water.

I too am interested in good snorkeling from a kayak. We want to do some kayaking when we are there in May. Intend to do Whistling Cay but other sites might be interesting as well. We are realtive novices though.

We snorkeled Congo on a day sail a few years ago. Great snorkel but there is a good current. Our captain drifted with us so we did not have to try to swim back. If you aren't a strong swimmer it may be a challenge to get back to your kayak if it is moored. If you are a confident swimmer it shouldn't be a problem.
mountaingoat

Post by mountaingoat »

Thanks everyone for your replies. We are trying to come up with a plan before we head down there. Hoosierdaddy, how did you access Ditliff? By boat or foot?
Thanks again..
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

There is a fair amount of info: - map - pics showing reefs - directions, etc. on www.ditleffpoint.com
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

Joshie wrote:Someday, I'm going to do Johnson's Reef...

Maybe I'll get a friend to dinghy me in.

I've always been fascinated by that reef.

Almost hit it with my boat several years back (it's not hard to do).

-j
Your parents bought you a boat ?? Sweet.
mountaingoat

Post by mountaingoat »

There is a fair amount of info: - map - pics showing reefs - directions, etc. on www.ditleffpoint.com

I had read that there was a subdivision in the works and that access via the road was going to be closed. However, I also read that there was foot access by walking along the shoreline from Klein bay to the beaches along the west end of Ditliff Point. the website seems to imply that those beaches are "private". I'm not sure, at this point, what to believe.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Ditleff has a beach access easement for public access. The CZM is requiring these for all new construction. Maybe islandstyle can give us the scoop on this?

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
mountaingoat

Post by mountaingoat »

Thanks for the replies. I guess we will take our chances when we get down there. Less than a month to go !!!!!