Passports

Travel discussion for St. John
In the system

Passports

Post by In the system »

I read that as of June 1st that passports are required for travel to Mexico and Canada. Does anyone know if this applies to the Caribbean and especially the USVI$
Chillin' on the beach with a cold one.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

USVI - means no passports; it is a US territory

BVI (even a boat trip) - mostly required tho you can get away with certified birth certificate
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hey Snorkeler525 :)

You had said in your post............"BVI (even a boat trip) - mostly required tho you can get away with certified birth certificate"

That is true as of today although most companies do require a Passport (even though it is not required) as it slows the entire boat down, alot, if a passenger has only a Birth Certificate and DL. I just want to give people a "heads up" though, that the rules are changing as of June 2009 - here is the "quote" from the US Department of State Website regarding travel to the BVI's

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... quirements

"As of June 1, 2009, sea travelers must have a valid U.S. passport or passport card. While a U.S. passport is not mandatory for sea travel to the BVI, it is required to return to the U.S."

As of right now I don't believe you will need a Passport to visit the USVI's in June, but the rules keep changing so by the time I finish typing this it might have changed :lol: - anyone else have any further info :?:

Pia
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

The safe thing to do is to call your local USPS center and book an appointment to get your passport which should only take 3-4 weeks to receive. (total)