Twitter for the Forum - UPDATED

Travel discussion for St. John
Anthony
Site Admin

Twitter for the Forum - UPDATED

Post by Anthony »

I set up a group Twitter account for forumites - you can follow along here:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... weets.html

I would prefer we keep it on topic! I think the protocol should be that you leave your tweet, and then your forum user name at the end (unless I am missing something and you will be identified anyway - PS - so I was sort of missing something since your twitter name is at the beginning of your message). Like I said - I am a newbie to this! If you use twitter - you need to follow this group: VIOL_Forum - and then we will follow you. Once that is done, you make a direct message to VIOL_Forum and your tweets will show up here:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... weets.html
Last edited by Anthony on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Okay so this seems to be working - for those that use twitter and want to use this, you need to follow: VIOL_Forum

And then you need to tell me your twitter user name so I know you are legit (post it here of send me a PM), and then I will have VIOL_Forum follow you, and then you can post a direct message to VIOL_Forum and it will show up here as via @your_user_name

So - again - I think this should stay on topic, meaning: if you are leaving for the VI, in/on the VI, or have just returned from the VI. If there is any interest in this in general and people want to use it for other things I can create one for the off topic forum...

I will also add a link with the forum tweets so that it loads in a pop up window or something, maybe it's own page, beside being here -

Let me have some feedback - does anyone use twitter here???
djmom

Post by djmom »

ok, there is no way I am going to do twitter. but lets practice...and you have to keep it on topic.

"sitting on the toilet...dreaming of St. John"
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
djmom

Post by djmom »

By the way, I was not trying to make fun of you Anthony by putting twitter on here. I just think Twitter is funny. It is like Facebook x 1000.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

That is OFF topic! :)
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Oh no....Twitter. I've been trying to resist, but this may put me over the edge.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

It is strange how some things draw certain people in and not others. Facebook - I am just afraid of, since I already spend so much time on line, and I sort of moved to Italy to be left alone anyway :)

Twitter - on the one hand, for personal use (meaning as an open diary), seems silly (to me - just my opinion, I know a lot of people are really into it and I am not trying to offend). I think for business communication it could have a lot of uses though. And, in a group situation like I set up, I think it could be really cool, to know when someone is leaving, heading to the beach, going to dinner, etc. - it could actually be useful. I mean people here are now trip reporting while on island - so this seems to be just more of an immediate extension of that. And you can do it from your phone. I can imagine someone in a dingy tweeting that they just saw a whale or a school of dolphins or something... that would be pretty cool, no?

Or maybe I just need to quit for the day :)
coral babe

twitter

Post by coral babe »

anthony, i use twitter, will figure it out. i found a woman photographer (named greer) who shoots weddings on st. john and a boston ad guy on vacation just by doing a twitter search on Coral Bay. fascinating!
Anthony
Site Admin

Re: twitter

Post by Anthony »

coral babe wrote:anthony, i use twitter, will figure it out. i found a woman photographer (named greer) who shoots weddings on st. john and a boston ad guy on vacation just by doing a twitter search on Coral Bay. fascinating!
Yes it is - wow. We definitely live in amazing times. All you have to do is follow VIOL_Forum, and then VIOL_Forum needs to follow you. Once that is done, you direct message to VIOL_Forum and it should work...
djmom

Post by djmom »

sounds like twitter can be used in very smart ways...makes sense to have for on island communication. that would be pretty cool.

some of the stuff I have seen is just so silly...but this is making sense....hey and it never hurts to know who is on the toilet at bars in St. John. That could save me some time in line at the Beach Bar LOL.
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

I tried finding the group on Twitter, but no luck. Do I need to do something other than go to the "find people" page?
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

canucknyc wrote:I tried finding the group on Twitter, but no luck. Do I need to do something other than go to the "find people" page?
Yes - I am finding it more than a little frustrating... what is your twitter name? I can "find" you (hopefully) with the VIOL_Forum account, and then follow you. You should see that, and the you can follow VIOL_Forum and post to it using Direct Messaging...
James S

Post by James S »

I just set up a twitter account "stjohntraveler". I leave for St. John tomorrow and will try to post to my twitter account from my Iphone during the trip.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

James S wrote:I just set up a twitter account "stjohntraveler". I leave for St. John tomorrow and will try to post to my twitter account from my Iphone during the trip.
Cool - don't forget - to post into VIOL_Forum you have to send a Direct Message - I just started following you so it should be good to go.
Bob63

Post by Bob63 »

Ok I justed signed up for Twitter to follow this. I can't believe I finally did this. I aovided face book till about a few months ago and now twitter, amazing.

BTW my name is RPM63 on twitter