May 19....90 degress

Travel discussion for St. John
islandgirl

May 19....90 degress

Post by islandgirl »

Hi Everyone

I noticed that the temps rise to close to 90 around May 19th....like magic. I remember one year we were there buying tickets into Truck Bay and asked the lady if it always gets this hot at this time of year. She said ya around the middle of May every year. Anyone else noticed this? i know strange question!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
hugo

Post by hugo »

well, we do have very noticeable differences between winter and summer temps, especially if you live here for a while. Obviously, since we're north of the equator, May to October is our warmer period. Also,In May or June, the prevailing east to northeast winds of winter will often go south to south-southeast, bringing equatorial air and sub-Saharan dust--also sometimes volcanic ash from Montserrat, and perhaps smoke from the perpetual burning of South American forests. Those particles make the heat more unpleasant and oppressive, even if it isn't hotter on the thermometer.
1 of 4

may 90

Post by 1 of 4 »

I have always gone in May or June. I have been cooled by the trade winds. I have been told the breeze can die down and it gets to be hot but have yet to have that happen. I love it there in May. I hope I didn't just jinks myself, he he. Some friends and I will be on St Thomas the 19th - 26th this year.
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

Well I hope that it gets hot on May 19th. Thats our anniversary and we will be there that week. Nothing would make my wife happier than laying out in the hot, hot sun all day 8) She likes to come back looking like an islander and our November trips have not produced that result the last 2 times. So back to a May trip we go!
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

May 19th is the wifes birthday and we will be on island. I hope its 90.

Happy Anniv Illinois
Life begins where the land ends!