Moon Cottage, Coral Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

Moon Cottage, Coral Bay

Post by liamsaunt »

I am wondering if anyone has stayed here. We are narrowing down our villa choices, and this one is high on John's list for our Coral Bay house. I am not persuaded yet. I am worried about the bed--the mattress looks like the same futon-style mattress that caused us so much grief at Golden Dragon. Plus, I think it seems expensive for the size and location. If anyone has stayed here I would like to hear your feedback. I checked the review page and did not see anything. Here is a link to the house's website:

http://www.mooncottage.com/
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

oh I always loved that one! of course I know nothing about it but I think it's beautiful!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I had never heard of this villa until you posted the link.

I agree that it seems rather pricey for it's size and location. (There are a lot of unbooked weeks, maybe price is negotiable if you are interested in booking something on short notice.)

And, that definitely looks like a platform bed; some are better than others though.

Hummmmm. I hope you get some responses on this. I'm curious now.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

$3750 for two people in the off season?? Holy cats that's expensive!

How soon are you going? Most places are offering discounts, but even at half price that place is more than most of the places on our short list.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
jdw

Post by jdw »

I think John loses this one. That is just too expensive for the low season.

Have you thought about the new villa, Monkey No Climb? I have only seen one review - I guess because it is so new. The website is www.monkeynoclimb.com.

I also love the looks of Reef Madness.

Good luck!

Jamie
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I agree that it is too expensive. I was curious if anyone had stayed there because I wanted to know if they thought it was worth it-and if so, why. Unless a significant discount becomes available, we won't be staying there. I've got a bunch of houses on my list that are available for our time frame and very nice that are asking half the price of Moon Cottage.

I'll get my way on this. I always do. :D
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

If you like privacy and a great location look at Summerwind http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/summerwind/index.html on Bordeaux Mtn. There's NO bumpy road or driveway and we love this house and it's great location.
Seven minutes to Maho, 10 minutes to Coral Bay and about 17 minutes to Cruz Bay and the price is right. We stayed there last May and loved it so much we're back again this June for 3 weeks. PM me if you have questions.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

I was curious about Moon Cottage when the price was a bit lower, but now, it is definitely out of our range.

There is one review of this villa on the villa review page from 2006:
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/s ... 5045.shtml
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Pickle! Thanks so much for finding that review! There's no OVEN? Forget about it! That is a complete dealbreaker. I would not stay there for any price. :D
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

liamsaunt, I know we've never met, but I can't picture you without an OVEN. I envy John - like many folks here probably do.

Happy villa hunting!
bevm

Post by bevm »

How about St. John Livin'? Small one bedroom in Coral Bay. Or Island Dreams?
Diane

Post by Diane »

Liamsaunt,
Sounds like you already made your decision, but we've stayed at Mooncottage and thought I would put in my two cents.
It's an amazing, exotic, secluded place with great views. Two reasons it wasn't on our short list this time: no a/c and no lockable doors. We stayed there in 2006, but unless glass windows and doors on hinges have been installed, a/c and doors are still not there. It was our first trip to STJ and we were so taken with the villa and the entire experience, that we didn't give the lack of security much thought. The villa is remote and we sleep better with locked doors. And a/c is number one on our list of requirements no matter what time of year we go.
Diane
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Diane, I noticed the door issue too in the villa review. The oven was a deal breaker for me, but no locks on the doors sealed it for John. That's just not comfortable for us. We keep everything--doors, windows, doors within the house, etc., locked at home from habit, and not being able to do that on vacation makes for sleepless nights for us. The first time we came to St. John we rented a house that had roll down tent walls along the main floor, and an entry door that did not lock. I was OK--I thought of it as camping--but John did not sleep well at all.

Thanks for your input.