snorkel masks

Travel discussion for St. John
kjguye

snorkel masks

Post by kjguye »

Hey I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the magnification lenses that fit any mask? This year both my husband and I became permanant wearers of GLASSES! We've snorkeled alot in the past both rentals and I have my own us divers Costco version I use sometimes. I am not sure if it is better to get magnifing lenses to fit a particular brand or go with the one size fits all masks I saw on Dive progear web site. My main concern about ordering a mask off of the web is the fit. My husband has a very large head and mine is very small. Karen
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

You can get prescription lenses for a mask - I have them and they are awesome.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

If you're going to snorkel a lot, just order a mask at a dive shop and have a prescription lens installed. Mine leaked last year and rather than deal with it I rented a Rx mask from Crabby's.
irbgolfin

Post by irbgolfin »

Suggest you read this for options including potential insurance coverage.

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... highlight=

irbgolfin
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Roberto, can you be specific on how to do this? Do I bring my prescription from my optician? How do I know they can make my prescription?
psufan

Post by psufan »

Minde,

I just purchsed a mask and had prescription lenses put in them. You just need to bring your written prescription to the dive shop. I haven't tried mine in the water yet but I was really pleased with the clarity when I tried them on. I will reserve my complete review until after my trip in May.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Do they have all the different prescriptions there, at the dive shop? We don't have a dive shop anywhere near here. Is there a dive shop on STJ that can do it right there while I wait? Sorry to sound like such a dummy, but I am!
psufan

Post by psufan »

There was a line of goggles that had replaceable lenses. The dive shop had a limited selection of prescription lenses to fit these masks. They didn't fit me very well and they didn't have my lenses in stodk so I went with a Tusa mask that the shop sent out to get the prescription lenses ground and installed. It took about 3 weeks.
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Same as PSUfan. Selected a Seavision at a shop and mask was sent to company for lens installation.
savvy

Post by savvy »

The dive shop where we bought our masks had many prescription lenses in stock. They had to order one lens for my husband's mask, but it only took about a week to get it. They just pop them in while you wait. We haven't had any leaking around the lenses. It was worth the investment.
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

mindehankins wrote:Do they have all the different prescriptions there, at the dive shop? We don't have a dive shop anywhere near here. Is there a dive shop on STJ that can do it right there while I wait? Sorry to sound like such a dummy, but I am!
Often times when you rent, they will have a limited selection of Px masks that you can use if you have a run of the mill prescription. For me, I am a bit over -4.00 in each eye, so when I rented, I simply used a -4.00 lense in each (I believe they can insert the lense into the mask).

When I bought a mask, I believe I took my prescription to a dive shop in NY, gave them my prescription and they ground the lenses within 2 weeks. My prescription has changes slightly since then, but its close enough for government work.
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

It took about two weeks when I had mine done. I live in the Dallas area and they sent the RX to some company in florida that made them. Worked great. If you do not have time, I know the dive shop at the Weston has RX dive masks. I used one of theirs a couple of years ago and it worked perfect. You would just have to hope they have your RX in stock.

Also, it sounds like you may be new to this. If so, I would also recommend one of the snokels that does not allow water in when you go under. It made a big difference for me and my wife and we will never go back to the old style snorkel.