Beach Chairs & Umbrella

Travel discussion for St. John
John LMBZ06

Beach Chairs & Umbrella

Post by John LMBZ06 »

Since I have tons of points, I usually stay at the Weston and rent beach chairs and an umbrella from them. I almost never hang around the beach at the Weston. My question is: Is there a place on St. John that sells beach chairs and umbrellas? Were the prices real high? I think the rentals for two chairs and an umbrella for a week were about $90 and the quality was not very good. In fact, the last time I was there they did not have any umbrellas and chairs were pretty bad. I am planning to be back in May for another week.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I haven't checked recently but in the past I've seen beach chairs for sale at the hardware store in the Marketplace as well as at the drugstore also in the Marketplace. I've never looked for umbrellas but I would guess they probably have them as well. I surely wouldn't pay $90 bucks to rent them. If memory serves me the chairs were around $30 bucks. Maybe someone on-island can add more information. Ruth? Pia?
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

You could also make a stop at K-Mart on STT on your way to the ferry. They MUST have them! :D
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hi - just checking in from good old Kansas City :)

St John Hardware in the Market Place sell chairs - nice ones I might add :) - for $30 each - not sure about umbrellas as I have never looked to be honest .

Pia
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

Paradise Lumber next to the clinic has beach chairs and beach shelters by Rio Brands. FYI, I work at Paradise. Our chairs are on the higher end of the scale...they last longer than some. Most of the villas on the island have the backpack chairs from us. PM me if you need more info.
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

Thanks. I will stop by and get a couple next time. I am currently planning my next trip with some family members and plan to be there after tax season (April 15th) is done.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
petepie

Post by petepie »

I've flown my own umbrellas down to St. John twice (they're the lighter weight ones, break down to fit in a sleeve that's about 3.5 ft long and 6" in diameter), you have to check them and sign a damage waiver with the airline. One got slightly bent, but worked fine. I've also flown a chair once (not to St. John). That worked ok, but I think it would be a huge hassle to bring it on the taxi and ferry from the airport to St. John.
petepie

Post by petepie »

Forgot to add that I brought the umbrellas before the airlines started charging for checked bags. If they counted as a separate bag, it wouldn't be worth it to pay the bag fee--you can probably buy them for about 15-$20 new at Kmart or elsewhere when you get there.
HughA

Post by HughA »

We have done a couple of things in the past so that we had umbrellas. Once we shipped two down to Connections. Once we stopped at K-Mart and bought them and the last time we bought two at the Cruz Bay Watersports by the lumber yard. I did call ahead to make sure they had plenty in stock. In all cases, they were inexpensive umbrellas meant to just last a couple of weeks and we gladly either gave them to someone on our last day or just left them at whatever villa we had rented. We also bought chairs at K-Mart and at the hardware store.
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

Saltydog wrote:Pia...we purchased 4 beach chairs from St John Hardware in December...
and already replaced one, because it broke :oops: ....
This is NOT a very long shelf life :evil: !!!
Puddlejumper do your beach chairs last longer that two months :shock: !!??
The beach chairs sold at Paradise Lumber last a good while as long as the rear end in the chair is not over 250lbs and the rear end parts fit in between the arm rests. I am not saying anyone on this board can not fit in this chair. But some villas do not get the desired life out of beach chairs because there are space issues with beach chairs. :) I am also not saying Saltydog has this problem either. I don't know Saltydog, or do I know you? I am probably in really big trouble by now with someone about beach chair sizing. I think I need to go to the beach.

This is the chair...
http://riobrands.com/beach/chair-SC529-50.htm#50
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

We've been bringing this chair down for years http://www.everywherechair.com/kel-rbc.html They have lasted us several years and they only cost $40. We pack them into a duffle bag along with our snorkle gear. They are light weight and easy to carry to the beach. When I was there in February I notices several other people using the same chair.
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Sea Grape Trees and beach towels. Why frock up an excellent STJ vacation with stuff? Just saying.. :)
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I hear ya', grayhoundmom. For years I never hauled a chair to the beach, just put a towel down but these bones are gettin' older so these days my but likes a chair. I like to schlep one that's easy to carry and lightweight. That's just me. To each his/her own I guess.