Help forumites! Need advice, sick pet.

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

I'm happy to hear that your cat is better and I hope she will continue to improve. She is a real cutie.

As much as I love my cats, I also dread the day they won't be with us anymore. They are 10 and 11 years so they are getting older.

Good luck and like many had said, I also believe that you animal "tells you" when it's time.
jmq

Post by jmq »

If you wind up having to give subcutaneous fluids via an IV bag (common with chronic kidney conditions), let me know – we had to do that with our dog and found an on-line supplier of the same brand name stuff that was half the price of getting it through the vet. They were reliable - it’s all they do.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

So glad your kitty is doing better! The financial end of it can be a strain I know! Hope this can be a good week for you all!
Connie

Post by Connie »

Brenda, I wish you the best with your cat. Things can turn around fast as they did with your kitty :lol:

I have four of my own, so I feel for you. I also volunteer at the local spca, so I'm really a cat person.

Good luck to you!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

A different species, but when our yorkie was diagnosed with kidney problems the vet recommended a dietary supplement called epichitin. I don't know for sure that it allowed her to live another year, but it might have helped. One jar was over $50, but it lasted seven or eight months. She too was switched to a special kidney diet food and that might have helped.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Unfortunately, things aren't turning around so fast anymore. She is still at the vet, we transferred her to her regular vet's office today. The kidney function tests are the same as yesterday and still three times as high as normal, so no improvement. We decided to give her yet another day of IV fluids to see how it goes. I'm going to have to figure out what to do here real soon :cry: :cry: . She also wouldn't eat today. She wasn't too lethargic though. She was snooping around the vet's exam room.

I'm having myself a good cry and going to have a glass of wine or three.
Going "home" again October 26th!
brenda

Post by brenda »

verjoy and others, I will definitely explore what dietary and other options we have! She just has to be well enough to want to eat and drink.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

sorry to hear Brenda. hang in there.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I'm so sorry Brenda, I'll keep praying. It's good that she was snooping though!

Does the vet think she's in pain?
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
brenda

Post by brenda »

Well, we went to see her at the vet today and she was trying to escape going back in the cage. We just couldn't put her down this morning :cry: . So, having said that, we brought her home this evening thinking she might have a few quality days in her own environment instead of going from the cage she hated to death. Well, things are only going so-so. She is very wobbly although starting to get better. She wouldn't eat at the vet today or for me yet. She was walking around very unsettled and meowing. I brought a litter box up from the basement and have food close by too. Well, she finally settled down somewhere and looks to be trying to snooze. Guess where? The litter box :shock: . I am wondering if it is because she is a little too wobbly to be jumping on furniture and it is sheltered and she feels safe there. I have decided against doing the subqutaneous injections. I'm just not going to put her through that. It's a very personal choice.

Time will tell soon how this is going to go. If she seems miserable, I will help her cross the Rainbow Bridge. I'm sure it is just a matter of time.
lprof

Post by lprof »

:( This is a difficult time...you are being very caring and reasonable. I am thinking of you and wishing you comfort.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I'm so sorry Brenda :cry:
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Joshie

Post by Joshie »

brenda

Post by brenda »

I really can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's support. After observing her tonight, she has answered our questions and doubts. I guess I just needed to see how she did in her own environment. Tomorrow we will go back to the vet and The Rainbow Bridge. Hope she gives her big loud meeeeeowwww to the rest of our furry family there. I think I might just be OK now (for the moment). I've already had alot of tears.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Brenda - you will be in my thoughts and prayers today. Your forum friends are here for you.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band