"Ask away" you say - okee dokee

Travel discussion for St. John
Linward

"Ask away" you say - okee dokee

Post by Linward »

18 days - but hey who's counting? :roll:

1. Is the water chilly this time of year? Should I bring my shorty wetsuit?

2. I know there are nurse sharks, and that they're just like "big 'ol catfish"... Are there any of the more scary variety? My husband's laughing at my obsession/phobia - but hey they have BIG sharp teeth! (and I don't think they just lick.) :shock:

3. Is Skinny Legs still a "pretty ok place with same day service"? We'll probably go there for lunch, and maybe Vie's and Miss Lucy's too. We plan to cook/grill our dinners at our Villa.

4. How's the snorkeling around Whistling Cay? We'll be staying near Francis Bay.

5. I read the thread about sandfleas and noseeum bites. My husband, too, has a severe reaction to them. Nothing he's tried in the past has helped much - maybe the Gin will do the trick. Any other ideas?

Thanks - Linda and Howard
Life is an adventure.
Treasure each moment.
Linward

Post by Linward »

Oh yeah, one more question:

Where can we find fresh mint leaves - for Mojitos? Or do we need to bring them with us from the States? Linward
Life is an adventure.
Treasure each moment.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I think everyone gets their fresh mint leaves at Josephine's, and some of the stores also carry her greens. But if you'll be in Coral Bay, you can get them directly from her.

Skinny's is one of my favorite places. I wouldn't go there in a rush, but the burgers are worth the wait.

I don't snorkel, so I'm not so helpful about the other stuff. I prefer to not think about what's in the water with me. It helps me actually get in!
liamsaunt

Re: "Ask away" you say - okee dokee

Post by liamsaunt »

1. Yes, I would bring your wetsuit, especially if you are going to spend a lot of time snorkeling. I should have rented one in January--I'm spoiled by the summer water temperature.

2. It is very rare to see anything other than nurse sharks. Last year at Turtle Bay I encountered two full grown black tip reef sharks. I think they were as surprised to see me as I was to see them. They took off rather quickly. I would not worry about it.

3. Miss Lucy's is one of my favorite Coral Bay lunch spots. I also recommend Shipwreck Landing, and check out the Tourist Trap for something different.

4. Are you going to kayak to Whistling Cay? I would not try to swim that far, especially with the boat traffic in the area.

5. Bring benadryl--pills, gel, and spray. Keep the gel and spray in the fridge for extra soothing relief. The no see ums are worst at sunset and in the dark. If you get off the beach before then it should not be too bad--although if it has been raining Francis gets buggy.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I've been down about 15 times never needed a wet suit but i'm coming out of the frozen tundra so cold has a different meaning to me. Never have seen any thing other then nurse sharks but yes they around but there aren't attacks in the vi's because the water is so clear they can tell you are a not so yummy person.LOL Love skinnys can't wait to get back and try the tourist trap. Go to Josphine for all your salad needs.
If you stay till late in the day just make sure you are in the water and have your stuff packed up so you can split as soon as you get out I like to watch the sun set from the water some days
Linward

Post by Linward »

"Watching the sunset from the water": I can only imagine :o Let's see... stay in the water, or retire to the deck of the villa - ahh decisions, decisions...

Maho Bay campground rents kayaks, no? It,s hard to tell water distances by the map. Linward
Life is an adventure.
Treasure each moment.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

The villa with your favorite drink in hand a few snack and a great sunset what more could you ask for.
NoWorriesMom

Post by NoWorriesMom »

Hey Linward! As a teen I saw one of the Jaws movies while on a beach vacation (thanks dad! :? :wink: ) and, like you, had some worry about sharks before our first trip. Do yourself a favor and don't waste a single second of your pre-trip excitement! When you get there and finish up your first snorkel you'll understand there was nothing to fret about! Pinky swear! :D
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

A shorty wet suit is a small item to pack and a great comfort on any longer snorkels - yes.
Unlikely on the big teeth question.
Skinny Legs is fine for you.
Whistling Key is ExCellent! - be aware of the current - do NOT attempt to swim there from Mary Point across Fungi Passage - take a kayak ,dinghy or daysail.
Long pants for post sunset will help - Deep Woods from Cutters is good too, no beaches after sundown.
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

I usually watch the sunset from the water at Maho or Cinnamon. Just be prepared to exit the scene when you get out of the water. Definitely, the same would hold true at Francis.

Yes, you can rent a kayak at Maho and head over to Whistling Cay. Not a far paddle from there at all.

I am in the minority around here, but much prefer Shipwreck Landing for lunch over Skinnys. So check them out too!

Pack the wetsuit...just in case. Better to be safe than sorry! 8)
Ms.Montana

Post by Ms.Montana »

I react badly to no-seeums as well. Get a prescription allergy medication from your doctor and start taking it a week before you leave. It works so much better than anything topically. I also spray my beach towel with deet and then put the towel on the sand and the seat of my beach chair. This way my legs/feet are on the towel and not the sand. I didn't go to the beach in the evening just to be safe but I may have been okay - I just didn't want to chance it. I was bitten so bad the first time I went to St John I couldn't wait to get out of there. It took me 4 years and a lot of research to figure out how to cope with the no-seeums. Be sure to eat at Shipwreck Landing - very, very good food.