Emergency Medical Locations?

Travel discussion for St. John
ifloat

Emergency Medical Locations?

Post by ifloat »

Planning ahead for one of those things that we hope will not happen...

Can you give me some ideas for facilities on STJ that can deal with a medical emergency such anaphylactic shock? We carry the appropriate emergency meds, but need to know where to go ahead of time in case of emergency.
lprof

Post by lprof »

I have no experience with medical care on St. John, but there is a fire department beside Skinny Legs in Coral Bay...I'm not sure about EMTs there. For hospital info and phone numbers:
http://seestjohn.com/services_emergency.html
... no longer a stranger to paradise
bevm

Post by bevm »

Here's a listing that will help..hopefully.
http://www.stjohnusvi.com/medical.html
brenda

Post by brenda »

Myrah Keating Smith, a free standing ER and clinic should be able to handle that at least for the immediate treatment. If the symptoms didn't get better, then a trip to STT would be warrented probably via boat. There is also EMS.

What is the allergy to? I'm assuming you carry an Epi pen and Benadryl?
Going "home" again October 26th!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

We had a friend go to Myrah Keating Community Health Center, right off of centerline rd. They took good care of him, and from what I know they were satisfied with everything there.
Image[/url]
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

Thanks for the resources, everyone.

No one knows for sure what sets off the bad reaction. Yep, epi pens and antihistimines are always on hand but I thought it would be good to have a backup plan.
hugo

Post by hugo »

The EMTs and ambulances are based in Cruz Bay at the old clinic, the MKS clinic is on Centerline Road at Susanaberg, about 2.2 miles east of Cruz Bay (most quickly accessed from the South Shore VIA the Gift Hill Road). Although a lot of the public services in the VI are more or less dysfunctional, we're lucky to have wonderfully competent and caring medical staff on St. John.
brenda

Post by brenda »

I don't want to get into details, but we had a little "incident" on one of our trips and had to pay Myrah Keating Smith a visit. We received excellent care there. That says a lot because as a nurse, I am aware of how things should go. Dang, I need to get myself a job there and move :wink: .
Going "home" again October 26th!