Newbie intro

Travel discussion for St. John
mindehankins

Newbie intro

Post by mindehankins »

Hi folks. I wanted to introduce myself, as I'm new to your forum and to STJ. I'm Minde, late 40's, coming to STJ from just South of Buffalo, NY, in May. I hate being on a trip, and 1/2 way through discovering something that would have made life so much easier if I'd just known that at the beginning! So I tend to research the heck outta our vacations. It's part of the fun for me. I'll be reading every forum post here and at tripadvisor, and reading Bill's list, etc.
If you care to direct me to any good sites, please do so. I just ordered Fins, Feet and Four Wheel Drive on Amazon.
Now I'll shut up and read, asking questions after I've read everything!
Peace,
Minde
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Welcome to the forum! :D

I recommend picking up a copy of Gerald Singer's Off the Beaten Track in addition to Feet, Fins, and Four Wheel Drive. Between the two, you'll be fully equipped!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Welcome, welcome, welcome - ask away :)

Pia
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

Hi Minde, and welcome.

I haven't been to STJ yet, I'm one week out from my first visit, but I just wanted to let you know that there's a lot of good information here and the folks have the answer to just about anything you could think to ask, STJ related.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hi Minde! You've picked a great place to get all the information you could ever want! Feel free to ask a hundred questions, and you'll get 300 answers! :D
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

Welcome Minde! Please ask away and let you have no worries. We will plan your trip for you. :wink:
Life begins where the land ends!
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

Welcome Minde to this little corner of paradise!
This is such a great forum because its filled with amazing people who I learned so much from when planning our first trip to STJ. Ask anything...somehere knows the answer, can get you the answer or direct you to someone else who can help you. The 2 previous books mentioned are a great resource....I also got the St John Beach Guide book which sits on my desk by my computer cause its got great pics & info...its just a beautiful book which I enjoyed before our trip & really appreciate more so since our STJ trip.
Anyway.....welcome & jump right in!
toni

Post by toni »

Hey Minde-We're from south of Buffalo too (closer to Erie)-welcome to the forum! You'll have a great time on STT and STJ-but feel free to ask questions-I agree that it's almost as much fun researching :D
augie

Post by augie »

Welcome Minde - helping you plan your trip is sort of a surrogate for those of us that currently don't have one of our own to plan - so ask away!
Come see us!
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Welcome Minde!

Reminder to all the readers to buy your guides etc. from Caribmart, it helps support this forum. :)
RickG

Post by RickG »

Welcome to the friendliest Virgin Islands forum!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Welcome! You're in great company!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

Welcome! Now I am not the newest newbie. Everyone is very helpful.

We are heading down for our first extended stay in May. I can vouch for the book recommendations...They helped me decide to book my 10 day trip.
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

liamsaunt wrote:Welcome to the forum! :D

I recommend picking up a copy of Gerald Singer's Off the Beaten Track in addition to Feet, Fins, and Four Wheel Drive. Between the two, you'll be fully equipped!
OK thanks! Will do!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

All right, I guess that I have a FEW more literary purchases to make! You certainly are a friendly bunch! Just reading posts, I was so impressed with how kind and cheerful you are. As if there's anything glum about an island paradise...LOL.
Right off the bat, I am faced with several decisions:
1) I'm pretty sure about Cinnamon Bay. My choice is bare site or cottage, as tent sites are filled. If I choose bare site then I have to figure out what's necessary and then cut that list in 1/2 and get those items to STJ.
2) Rent Jeep on STT or STJ? The ferry ride without the jeep sounds magical and I sort of hate to miss it. On the other hand, sounds like more Jeeps to be had, on STT. On the other hand, if my STT Jeep has a problem, we might be S.O.O.L.
3) Eating out looks really expensive for a newbie to the island, though I haven't seen very many menus. I tend to be frugal anyway, and this is a spur of the moment trip. It just occurred to us that we needed to get away and we're going in about 6 weeks. So I'm thinking of packing a cooler with frozen food and checking it. What do you think of this? I DO like to eat well, and it'd be so much cheaper to bring good stuff from home. Then there's the preparation of it, if we must bring cooking stuff from home. I want to support the local economy, so we'll buy staples from the local shops, but we're meat eaters and I like to prepare some sauces ahead of time, so those, I'd freeze.
4) I really, really, really want to snorkel. My hubby lived in Hawaii and he dives, snorkels and surfs, but I haven't. I'm not a good swimmer, so I see that I'll need a ski belt, and we need masks and snorkels. We'll rent fins in STJ. Problem is I wear glasses. I guess I'm going to have to get contacts so I'll be able to see anything.
5) What about medical care in the USVI? I had a mini-stroke in October (the day before our last vacation) and I'm a little concerned about something bad happening. Is there decent medical care there? Would my insurance cover me if something bad happened?

Well, at least I'm not worrying about the mosquitos anymore!
See, now you'll all wish I'd kept my promise and kept my mouth shut :lol: