Lot of questions for first time St. Thomas vacationer! :)

Travel discussion for St. John
longislandjean

Post by longislandjean »

Our first trip to STT was last summer, we bought a timeshare at the Marriott Frenchmans Cove and plan to go back each year forever! It is a beautiful place.

There are a lot of people on this forum with more island experience than me but I'll put my two cents in anyway.

You mentioned you will be staying at the Elysian, right near there was our favorite find of a restaurant. The name of the place is Carmen's and it is at Pavillions and Pools. It was recommended to us by the timeshare salesman. The food is Mexican and fabulous but it's the staff that really makes it a great experience. It is the only restaurant "must" for our trip this summer according to our kids who are 21 and 17.

As for car rental we used Zip Rentals, www.ziprentalsvi.com which was recommended by someone from Tripadvisor. They are a family run business with very fair prices and great customer service. They met us at the airport with the car, we stood on the sidewalk and filled out the paperwork and were on our way in about 5 minutes. They moved to the islands several years back from New York.

This year we want to get to Smith Park beach, I've been reading a lot a good things about it. We also want to take the ferry from CA to Water Island. I think the ride is only $5 and takes only a few minutes. There is a beautiful beach there called Honemoon Beach. It is a very quiet island and I'm really looking forward to seeing it. You can google Water Island and get a lot of infomation on it.

Our last trip was only 5 nights, this year it will be 7. Try to not fit too much in because just relaxing on the beach or on your balcony is the best part. Have fun.
islandgal

Post by islandgal »

I see several of you have mentioned trips to BVI. I was under the assumption that you have to have a regular passport for that. Is that right? At $100 a pop for a passport that we would probably only use for that, I didn't think it was worth it. I figure for 1 week, that STT and STJ would keep us plenty busy.

And I have not seen any mention of St. Croix, the other USVI. Is that worth spending any time? I know a week is a limited amount of time to "do everything" and that is not really the intent. As several mentioned we'll probably "stay home" and hang out at the resort to just do our own thing for a couple of days. Hubby might like to fish somewhere if it's not too expensive. We want to plan a few day or half day trips to keep things interesting. Me? I could be happy just soaking up sun on the beach or by the pool and be out of the snow!lol
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

Jean, good to see a fellow Cove owner on here! We bought about 4 years ago and will be staying for the 3rd time at the Cove in a couple months.

In regards to the passports....if all you are going to do with them is go to the BVI's then no, don't worry about getting them. You are right, STT and STJ will keep you busy for a week and then some. I will say though it is easier and less painless to go through customs at the airport with a passport. They seem nicer and less likely to hassle you when you have a passport.

St. Croix is about a 40 minute flight south from STT. There is also a ferry that goes, but its subject to sea conditions. Not advisable for a first trip. In fact in 6 total trips to STT we have never been to STX, nor felt the need to. Will someday though.

Doubleheader sportfishing has a good operation. They do inshore and offshore for both full day or half days. Google them and you can find them. I am sure there are other operations out there that people can comment on, but its the only one I am familar with.
islandgal

Post by islandgal »

I guess I never thought about customs Kauai seemed simple Is there anything I should know in that regard if I don't have a passport? Purchases are not taxed, right?

Thanks for the fishing info.:)
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

If you don't have passports you should bring raised seal birth certificates and photo id
Pia

Post by Pia »

Even though you do not need a Passport to visit the VI's you do need ID to return to the States as you will have to clear US Customs and Immigration at the STT airport on departure.

Make sure you arrive at the airport a minimum on 90 mins before your flight departs (2 hours minimum if leaving on a Saturday) and have a photo ID such as a drivers license and a copy of your Birth Certificate with a raised seal - you might not be asked, but I just read a trip report where the Immigration Officer made a huge stink about not having one and embarrased the traveller something awful so it's best to be prepared (don't remember if it was on here or another forum)

Pia
Last edited by Pia on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

Not really. You just have to fill out a customs form (one per family) and claim items bought. We usually just put the average vacation purchases. Don't have to be too specific, just list them as t-shirts, souviners, liqour, jewelry...etc. You are supposed to claim every item, but honestly its up to you if you want to claim items. There have been a couple things we have not claimed, but never been stopped and never really gone over the duty free limit. $1400/$1600 seems to come to mind as the limit...can't exactly remember though. Its a pretty easy process actually. If you think of it on arrival ask for a customs form and that way you can have it filled out before arriving at the airport. Its also a good idea to keep all your receipts together and in a convenient spot if the customs officer asks for anything.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Hello fellow Hoosier,

I stayed on the East End in 2001. It was our first time on the island. I will tell you it was our first nice vacation and we thought everything we did was awesome. I will give you a list of things we did in order of enjoyment.

1. Rent a car. We enjoyed the freedom and the adventure.
2. Take the car ferry over to ST. John. The island is beautiful and every beach could be on a cover of a magazine. We were at one beach all by ourselves for a while. We went to Cinnamon, Trunk, and Hawksnest beaches. I think you have to go to Trunk just because it is world famous and it is cool to see places you have been on the travel channel.
3. Take the people ferry over to St. John at night for a meal. Seemed very romanic to us. We ate at Morgans Mango and will be going back next month when we are on St. John.
4. Parasail from Saffire Beach. Great view of the island and the BVI.
5. Visit Megans Bay on St. Thomas. Its another world famous beach.

We are not drinkers but also had drinks (OK only one and we shared it.) at Duffy's Love Shack and ate at Molly Malones and the Caribbean Steak House in Red Hook.

Hope this helps
islandgal

Post by islandgal »

Thanks to all who mentioned raised seal birth certificates. I NEVER would have thought to take that. But maybe being stuck down there wouldn't be so bad?! I guess I would have figured if they let you into the island, they are surely going to let you out! lol.

Hoosierdaddy..where in Indiana? We are at the top of the state at the MI line. I was glad to hear you mention parasailing as that is something I want to convince my husband thing to try. They did not have that on Kauai, but did on other Hawaiian islands, so we did not get to try it when there.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Here is a video that the on STJ guys did on parasailing.

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2009/02/18/par ... tersports/
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Newburgh. Opposite end of the state. Parasiling on St. Thomas was my first time. I thought it would be very jerky but I was wrong. It is very smooth and tranquil. I would recommend doing it. I cannot remember the name of the company. We actualy saw their boat while we were at Saffire beach.
islandgal

Post by islandgal »

The parasailing video looks awesome. You're really UP there! It does look like great views from there. I'll have my husband watch it to see what it thinks. Thanks for the link.
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

I did a trip report when my cousin came to visit me and listed some of the things they did while visiting St. Thomas. Here are a few of them:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... php?t=8257

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... php?t=8258

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... php?t=8262

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... hp?p=94418
islandgal

Post by islandgal »

Looks like great fun....and a cocktail or two, or was it three...

I see you did mention big spray. Somewhere else I read about "no seeums" and how bad they were. Should I expect bugs in March? Daytime/nighttime only? That was one thing that was nice about Hawaii. No bugs in July.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

When in March will you be on St. Thomas? We will be on St. John the last week. We will be taking bug spray. I am not as experienced as many of the other forum member so I am not sure what to expect. Maybe some of the islanders could give us an idea?