3 Weeks to go !- a few questions?

Travel discussion for St. John
Greenskeeper

3 Weeks to go !- a few questions?

Post by Greenskeeper »

First of all THANK YOU everyone for all your information. When I booked last March, I expected to post many questions but by using the search here through old posts, I have pages of information that addressed most of them.

Here are a couple I want to just get clear on:

1. Water shoes- do we need them? Read some stuff on sea urchins and sting rays close to shore and not sure if most people suggest them.

2. Attire- any restaurants where nice khaki shorts and polo is not considered dressed up enough?

3. Charter/Day Trips- We'd love to get over to the Baths. What is the most cost effective/best way for a family of 4?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Water shoes - I have taken them but never used them. Others may no better.

Attire - you sound good to go unless you are going to the fancy place in Caneel.

Can't help you on Baths.

Enjoy and have a great trip. Where are you staying?
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

Thanks for the quick response. We're staying at Calypso del Sol.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

oh yeah! me too in May. Can you report when you return?
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

Absolutely!
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

I have also never worn water shoes or gone anywhere for dinner that was fancier that the dress you describe.

When I went to the Baths, I took the inter-island ferry from STJ to Virgin Gorda. Its a very basic ride, but certainly the most economical. It is not a quick trip though, so be prepared for a long day. At the VG ferry dock, there are plenty of taxis waiting to take you to the Baths and they arrange to pick you up for the return. Super simple. I think we had 3-4 hours to hike through the Baths on our own, snorkel, beach lounge etc. And I appreciate the independce of that as opposed to an organized Day Trip. There is good place to have lunch right where the taxi drops you off, can't remember the name. They have a pool and a nice view.

The ferry only runs on certain days of the week, so check the schedule ahead of time.
Bobbyboy

water shoes

Post by Bobbyboy »

I think water shoes are a necessity if you want to get to some great snorkeling. You will do so much better at Leomeister, Waterlemon, Haulover North, Blue Cobblestone, and other beaches with rocky entires into the ocean. My wife and I used open heel fins and water shoes and were able to negotiate the rocks. They are also protective if you accidently come in contact with something jagged.
Ken

Post by Ken »

A few ways to get to the Baths. You can go on a charter like one of these:

http://newhorizonscharters.com/
http://www.charterboat.vi/stormypetrel.html

These both make a couple of other stops, but they do pick you up and drop you off in Cruz Bay.

Another alternative is to rent a power boat and captain for the day from Ocean Runners:

http://www.oceanrunnerusvi.com/

This would give you lots of freedom to see what you like.

You can also take the ferry which would give you lots of freedom once you get to Virgin Gorda.

The restaurant at the top of the baths is called "Top of the Baths." It is good - great view, good food, can be crowded, isn't cheap. I actually prefer Mad Dogs right next door. Much cheaper, good sandwiches, no crowds, and great drinks.

Here are a couple of snaps from the Top of the Baths:

Have fun!
Ken
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Ken, you take such beautiful pictures!!

Shoes: my whole family has keens and we wore them most of the time in St. John. Once we got to the beach we would change into our flippers if snorkeling or leave them on. On our first beach vacation there were warnings about wearing water shoes and I have done it since then.

Clothes: you really don't have to dress up . . . St. John is very laid back. Normally, I don't leave the house without makeup but I did in St. John. Also, on our first trip I had some cute dresses and felt really out of place.

Baths: we took a charter with Lion In Da Sun. I didn't compare prices but I have heard that they aren't much more expensive that going with a big charter. Not sure. But I do like being able to go where we want to go and stay as long as we want.

Have a great trip!!

Gina
Ken

Post by Ken »

Thanks, Gina. Ditto on the Keens. Got some about 2 years ago and never leave without them now.

Packing - just got back from 11 days in the islands. Took 2 bathing suits, 2 pair of shorts, Keens, Flip-flops (for when the Keens are soaking wet at night), and 7 T-shirts. Laundry once. It has taken about 5 trips to get the amount right. I used to pack several collared shirts, nice pants, etc. Not any more. There were a couple of places that required them, and we stayed away!

I've seen Vicki's packing pictures, and I think she and I have different philosophies there :D

Ken
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

Thanks for all the tips. Ken, you are definately a minimalist. I'm trying.... Our plan is carry on only. Maybe I can get the "boys" pared down to your list which will make extra room for me!
vacationpants

Post by vacationpants »

in 2006 we took a power boat trip to the baths - i think it was Horizon 2 - it was a great trip - got to see a lot and it was fun. in 2008 we rented a dinghy for the day - my kids were 16 and 21 and we had a great time - I am not sure I would do it again but I am very happy we did it once. We went to Waterlemon and snorkeled around the cay - and we should have gone around a second time because it was the best snorkeling of our trip. I was thankful I had two kids to pull me and one husband to push me up and into the dinghy when we were done.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

We took Limnos to the Baths. It is good for kids.
Casual attire and you don't need many clothes.
Water shoes- never used them.
LMarie

Post by LMarie »

We also took the ferry to VG. We found it most economical for us. We had a great time! If you go, just remember to go all the way through the baths to Devil's Bay! Also, have cash for the ferry just in case. For some reason the day we went they wouldn't accept credit cards. Luckily we had planned on cash, but some people who were planning on going had to run all over Cruz Bay trying to find a working ATM.
LMarie
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

I second Mad Dogs for refreshments at The Baths unless you just gotta have that pool at Top of The Baths (it is nice).

As the name inplies, Top of The Baths is at the top of the trail to The Baths. You'll see it when you get dropped off (nice views - see Ken's photo, decent food...uncheap). Mad Dogs (great sammiches & drinks...reasonably priced) is across the "cul-de-sac" and roadside.

Dave