Connections - PIA??

Travel discussion for St. John
DuxDweller

Connections - PIA??

Post by DuxDweller »

OK - so I am ready to ship my box (snorkel gear, lotions, shampoo, bug spray, flashlight and a couple of towels - for Maho). Connections is telling me to ship 1 week in advance via Priority USPS (from Boston). I arrive 2/10. NOT receiving this stuff in time will cost me $$$, as I will be stuck renting snorkel gear for 7 people. Last year my stuff got shipped back to me from PR - and never made it. Any opinions on when I should send this?
Pia

Post by Pia »

I would say 10 days to be 100% safe - or as safe as it can be :)

I just received a Priority package full of school supplies for the "school drive" and it made it in 3 days - wooo hooo - never happened to me before - having said that I am still waiting for 3 online orderers I placed 9 days ago and the 2nd package for the school drive that was mailed on the same day as the first is still not here - so you never can tell.

I always say 7 to 10 days to be safe as that is the average time I receive my packages in that are shipped from family in Kansas City.

Sorry I couldn't help more - I guess what will they charge you to store them if they arrive early - I guess we are only talking 3 days anyway as they said to mail them 7 in advance right.

Pia
DuxDweller

Post by DuxDweller »

Thanks Pia! I'm less worried about a charge from them. I just don't want to be too inconsiderate and send them a box they have to store for too long! They advised shipping it addressed to myself at a P.O. Box in St John - does that sound right?
Pia

Post by Pia »

I'm not sure how they have you address the box (I never use them :) ) but I think if you use the search button here on the forum someone posted the exact way to address it a while ago :)

Pia
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to pack a second suitcase with all your snorkel gear? Most airlines are $25.00 for a second checked bag. Priority Mail looks to be anywhere from $35-$45.00 depending on size and weight.
DuxDweller

Post by DuxDweller »

Yes - it may be cheaper, however, carry-on only will save time and effort; two things that make a "vacation" for me!
JC

Post by JC »

Dux...I would add that you should use both the PO BOX 37 AND the physical address 6D Cruz Bay! Print in black ink ALL CAPS block letters. Put the zip on the same line with St. John USVI!

Also...print your last name clearly on all sides of the box for easy recognition! The gals at Connections are awesome! We ship every March and LOVE IT!!! I usually ship two weeks ahead...just in case! I am happy to give them a little extra for their trouble and my peace of mind! :D

Ship PRIORITY mail & use delivery confirmation so you can track the progress on line...you'll know within a day or two of when your box arrives (think island time)! One last thing..I always send them a quick e-mail with my name, address, phone and how many boxes I send!

If you can't tell...I'm a huge carry-on only fan! It's sweet! :wink:

"I didn't come here...and I ain't leavin'"
DuxDweller

Post by DuxDweller »

Thanks JC! Great advice and info. I assume that you have not had a problem using the 2 week time-frame?
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Be sure to just say ST JOHN VI (no commas or punctuation or US) and then the zip.

Good luck!
NancyB
JC

Post by JC »

Nice catch Nancy...yes...

ST JOHN USVI 00831-0037

Dux...the two week time frame works like a charm for me...at least so far :? I, too, hate to make an inconvenience for the girls...but a little tip, a wink and a smile seems to do the trick! I'm already thinking of boxes...ahhhhhhhhh.

Good luck...let us know how you do!

Jen

DuxDweller

Post by DuxDweller »

Now I understand why my package was returned last year! So my address should look like this:

CONNECTIONS
PO BOX 37
6D CRUZ BAY
ST JOHN VI 00831-0037

Is that right?
JC

Post by JC »

Looks great Dux! Just remember to get confirmation on your delivery...you can track the status of your package...although the tracking can be off a day or two...I've noticed!

MrB

Post by MrB »

Go here...

http://usps.whitepages.com/post_office

Select "Automated Postal Center" and add your zip. This will tell you the place where they have the big postal machine that will print your priority label with a big barcode on it (there are 5 in the boston area), and the ST JOHN VI 0081-0037 part. This barcode will be read by the sorting machine in your local and regional post offices, as well as San Juan, and route it directly to St John without the delay of a hand sort. 3 days for most people.

You can also print the same label from the USPS website if you have an account set up. It's free, but it's a pain.

Block letters are great, but the barcode is 100%